What happened to Laine’s goal-scoring?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Do you think he´s actually playing worse than last years even if he´s not scoring goals as much as he used to? Sounds like you have not actually watched him play.

He´ll put up 50 goals some day. Too much talent.

He's playing better I guess, I don't watch him anymore because he is boring now.

Also I kept reading Laine "has an 80 goal lead on Ovechkin due to the age difference and will eventually score more goals than him", it's down to 31 as of today with Ovechkin's 65 goal season coming up. :thumbu:

Reactions: crab

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Powerplay scoring: 3 PP goals this year, at speed for 5. Previous years were 20 and 15 PPG. 5v5 scoring is at speed for 25 goals. On his normal PP season he would total 40-45 goals.

BTW Laine is 47th in shooting % out of the top50 5v5 goalscorers in the league. Guys below Laine: Marssechault, Gallagher, Pacioretty.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
that was a very bold take to not think he would get 70 goals and 80 assists.

Hey buddeh, go give the "laine top tier legend" thread a re-read and get back to me with some "very bold takes". A certain Dad dug his own grave in that thread.
Listen, a 30g scorer is nothing to scoff at but to expect laine to consistently pot 40 is outlandish and downright foolish. There is 1 player from that draft that consistently pots 40/yr. I'll let you have a guess who.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
He's playing better I guess, I don't watch him anymore because he is boring now.

Also I kept reading Laine "has an 80 goal lead on Ovechkin due to the age difference and will eventually score more goals than him", it's down to 31 as of today with Ovechkin's 65 goal season coming up. :thumbu:
Tecnically it's still 44 as the Jets have 28 games left this season and ovechkin scored 13 in his last 28 games back in 2006-07.

It's a shame what Winnipeg andd Paul maurice have done to Laine. He could've been something truly special. Well at least he might get a goal tonight to reach 20 goals since the jets face the Blues.

Reactions: Sam Spade

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Like a few well informed posters have mentioned, the Jets PP has fallen off a cliff and Laine's goal scoring fell with it. For whatever reason nobody can get the puck to Laine, or when they do he misses the net. Wheeler seems to have declined in his ability to feather passes through the middle seam and Buff seems to have declined in his ability to be a hockey player. Will be interesting to see if he can go a run at some point but as long as the Jets PP is in the stinker Laine won't score impressive goal totals. He just can't skate like Ovechkin to make his own opportunities which is why he'll probably never approach Ovechkin's greatness.

Reactions: Jedub and Andrei79

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
His first couple years were kinda misleading. In his rookie season, he had an inflated SH% and OISH% at ES. In his sophomore season, he had an inflated SH% on the PP.

The main problem this year is his shooting percentage on the PP is abnormally low.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
giphy.gif

Where are all the Fins and Jets fans who were on a mission to prove this guy is better than Ovie?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He's going through ups and downs. Unless he can consistently generate his own chances, he'll always live and die by hot streaks where he goes crazy briefly followed by a long drought.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
People are too goal oriented its better for Laine to score 30 goals+50 assists and be good 2 way player /team first mentality kind of player than to score 50 goals and 30 assists and be lazy floating one dimensional scorer type and Laine is just learning to his all around game this season... For future seasons i predict he will score multiple time's 40-50 goals and 90-100 points and being good reliable two way player/allaround player. That will make him as valuable ass 60 goal 110 point one dimensional version.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Finish fans 2 years ago: this guy is already # better goal scorer than Ovechkin and it will only get better

Just goes to show how hard it is to consistently score goals.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Matthews 2 goals in the 5-3 loss last night were fantastic

They actually were so thanks :)

Laines shot still looks amazing by the eye test so I will never sleep on his abilities.

The worst thing that could have happened to him was the constant Matthews comparisons. We would all appreciate his career more if it had a chance to develop into its own thing.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Finish fans 2 years ago: this guy is already # better goal scorer than Ovechkin and it will only get better

Just goes to show how hard it is to consistently score goals.
Laine has played his best season/been best player he has been overall this season much more valuable/better hockey player than year when he scored 44 for example. He isnt focusing in only scoring goals its like his third objective after playing good defense and playmaking. Laine's 50+ goal seasons are ahead next 5 years he will get there.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
People are too goal oriented its better for Laine to score 30 goals+50 assists and be good 2 way player /team first mentality kind of player than to score 50 goals and 30 assists and be lazy floating one dimensional scorer type and Laine is just learning to his all around game this season... For future seasons i predict he will score multiple time's 40-50 goals and 90-100 points and being good reliable two way player/allaround player. That will make him as valuable ass 60 goal 110 point one dimensional version.

I’m going to be honest - I don’t think that’s better at all. From the stats posted in the Laine poll his defence isn’t really that much improved, and I’ll take the 50g guy in that case every time.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
I’m going to be honest - I don’t think that’s better at all. From the stats posted in the Laine poll his defence isn’t really that much improved, and I’ll take the 50g guy in that case every time.
Well hmm maybe 50 goal Laine would be bit better but i think Laine has been overall better this season than in season where he scored 44+26 in 82 gp. And in long run its important he learns to play all around game and isnt just floating and waiting others to do all dirty work.. His flegmatic game was terrible to watch at last 2 seasons. Rookie season he played better..

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
The book is out on him a bit and he also clearly had an unsustainable shooting percentage over his first two seasons. Still a solid sniper though. but some of those comparisons to Matthews back from their rookie seasons are pretty laughable these days

Reactions: Merrrlin

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
He was never that good at it, scoring mostly with the same slapper from the slot. It was easy enough for teams to stop and now he's struggling a bit. His shot is good enough to keep him in the 20-30 goal range though.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
*checks stats* "wow 20 goals, 50 points! 3rd of his team?"
Meanwhile in Habs land, he would be the best scorer with Tatar. Send him our way please.

Others said he's unlucky, some say its his back (hopefully not), others said its circumstances. I have not seen him play, but is it possible that he somehow over achieved in his first 2 seasons? He's still 21 so who knows, but some players just seem to arrive into the league as dominant/elite players and dont produce more overall. I'm thinking like Eric Staal who had 100 points as a 20 years old and never came close afterwards.

I suppose it's a little disapointing that a prospect does not "evolve" in point production, but he's still a hell of a player :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad