What happened to Laine’s goal-scoring?

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
For whatever reason the shot hasn't been there. Used to be able to get a great one-timer of off any kind of position, but now he's been fumbling it or just passing up on the opportunity a lot more. I would suggest lack of confidence, but then again that shoot out goal against Toronto showed incredible shot and confidence, so don't really know what's going on.

Overall he's been playing better than ever though. Going from having the worst +- on his team by quite a margin last year to having the best this year tells the story. Top-20 in the league in both es goals and points, pp hasn't been clicking at all in favor of him

ijuka

May 14, 2016
IMO his shot lost a lot of its lethality when he suffered the concussion during his rookie season. Whether that's a direct cause or merely a coincidence is unknown.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
He’s gonna go on a tear for a 2 week stretch and break the NHL record for most goals in that time span, and then come here and start a thread about how “Laine breaks record for most goals in a fortnight.”

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
IMO his shot lost a lot of its lethality when he suffered the concussion during his rookie season. Whether that's a direct cause or merely a coincidence is unknown.
Oh yeah, only scored 80 goals in the next 137 games after that, which is only the most in the league in that period of time

Reactions: Ippenator

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I’ve seen him hit the post atleast 4 times this season in positions where he would’ve scored before, so bit unlucky and the PP isn’t working at all pretty much, he is playing well all around tho.

And 4 points got taken away due to coaches challenge.

Jeta power play system not so good this year.
Considering that pp1 has

Schiefele
Connor
Laine

Overall it should do better.
But its not working.

I guess Wheeler doesnt know who to pass to :)

Everything start with Wheeler, he need to switch it up more. And the 3 gunners i mentioned are too static. Dont know if thats by design...
I mentioned Wheeler because the powerplay starts with him almost all the time...

They should start Laine in the right half wall.
See how it will look ( pp needs to get better anyways )

Wheelet down low
CONNOR in the middle
Schiefele gunner in Laine spot.

Last edited:

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
One of the most obvious reasons is that Laine is clearly working on his 200 ft game. Being defensively responsible (which he is much better at this year) will always reduce the number of rush opportunities where this guy has shown himself to be really good. As well the Jets powerplay has been abysmal this season at setting him up as the trigger man as in seasons past. It seems that Wheeler's first option is almost always to try and force the puck to Scheifele for the shot. How many goals would Ovechkin have if their powerplay didn't spend it's time trying to get him the puck? That is a coaching issue. That being said Laine's shot does not look anywhere near as lethal as it did in his first two seasons and that may be a result of his back issues or something else medical.
The kid looks like his minimum form is 30+ per year with a potential ceiling of 50+. That's a pretty good 2OA pick.

Reactions: Ippenator

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Better even strength play, better defensive play. But only 30 G and 80 P. Christ, he is 21 years old already. Get rid of him.

Reactions: jetsforever

member 157595

giphy.gif

Where are all the Fins and Jets fans who were on a mission to prove this guy is better than Ovie?

I only remember 1 guy saying Laine would be better than Ovechkin.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Matthews 2 goals in the 5-3 loss last night were fantastic

A good point. Matthews' production isn't helping the team win. It's worth comparing to Laine, who has transformed his game and, in turn, propelled the Jets to being the toast of the West.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Some yes, majority, no.

NHL Draft Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

Then add in the "Best since Mario. Going to score more than Ovi" hype train.
In the last 10 years you would only really put Barkov, Eichel, Seguin ahead of him really. Arguably Svechnikov could be but it's pretty early.

If you're going to use some Finnish fans ridiculous overhype to declare he's a disappointment that's your choice but for most normal fans it really has no bearing. He's been good for a 2nd overall pick and has rounded out his game nicely. I am concerned about his fall off in goal scoring but he is actually scoring at a better rate 5v5 this year, unfortunately our PP is non-existent.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
In the last 10 years you would only really put Barkov, Eichel, Seguin ahead of him really. Arguably Svechnikov could be but it's pretty early.

If you're going to use some Finnish fans ridiculous overhype to declare he's a disappointment that's your choice but for most normal fans it really has no bearing. He's been good for a 2nd overall pick and has rounded out his game nicely. I am concerned about his fall off in goal scoring but he is actually scoring at a better rate 5v5 this year, unfortunately our PP is non-existent.

Where did I say he is a disappointment? He was really good until this year, now he seems to be an average 2nd overall. Thats not bad, but I had higher expecations for him. Im guessing this is just a down year.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Since the first lockout, he already is better than about half the #2OA picks. Of course, everyone would love an Eichel.
Exactly. Some teams' fans make the most cringeworthy posts for the sake of trying to talk sh**. Can't wait for the Leafs to miss the playoffs or lose first round so this forum clears out a bit.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
What are you talking about? 75 points is exactly what you would expect out of a 2nd overall player.

You may want to check the type of players who are getting 75 points. Sure some are 2nd over all, but I wouldn't call that success for a 2nd pick. 80+ points for an offensive minded forward playing 82 games would be that starting point for me.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
On pace for 30 goals which is really solid but this is from a guy who potted 44 goals in his sophomore season and was touted to take away the title of best goal-scorer from Ovechkin. There was even a rather long thread about him potentially scoring 60 goals.

Has he turned into more of a playmaker? Something with his linemates?

Only by Winnipeg and Finnish fans. He was vastly over rated since day 1. The main cause for confusion, his best trait is his goal scoring ability. That made some fans believe that he is the greatest goal scorer of the new generation.

Sure it is your best characteristic. That doesn't mean you're the best goal scorer across all your peers. WAY too many people confused that but i think it's pretty clear now. He's not a bad player, still a very good scorer but was just over hyped in terms of his goal scoring ability.

He has a really good stationary shot but needs to be set up. He's also deferring a lot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad