What happened to Laine’s goal-scoring?

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
You may want to check the type of players who are getting 75 points. Sure some are 2nd over all, but I wouldn't call that success for a 2nd pick. 80+ points for an offensive minded forward playing 82 games would be that starting point for me.
It’s fine production. Obviously I’d want to see a Laine score 50 and get a 100 points but those players don’t grow on trees. There’s room for improvement for sure but even if you look at a guy like Seguin who is regarded as one of the better 2nd overall picks in recent memory he’s only hit the 80 point plateau twice in his career, so like I said I think production is fine, would love to see him pot 50 and get 100 points but hey there’s always next year o_O

Reactions: Ippenator

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
You may want to check the type of players who are getting 75 points. Sure some are 2nd over all, but I wouldn't call that success for a 2nd pick. 80+ points for an offensive minded forward playing 82 games would be that starting point for me.
What about Tavares? Tavares has only hit 80 points 4/11 times And will most likely never hit 90 points despite being a 1st overall pick. Is Tavares a disappointment to you too? I know he's a disappointment to me, but a lot of people seem top pump him up.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Laine’s doing fine relative to the expectations he should have on him at this stage of his career. He’s only underachieving relative to the absurd expectations some people put on him after his rookie season.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He's having a pretty good year to be honest, but as others have mentioned the loss of a PP QB along with ineffective PP, has all added up to Laine hitting career-lows on the PP in terms of goals. He's also missing some good looks. I think he'll be aright. I like his approach to playmaking this year most definitely. Smart player.

Reactions: Ippenator and hn777

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
It’s fine production. Obviously I’d want to see a Laine score 50 and get a 100 points but those players don’t grow on trees. There’s room for improvement for sure but even if you look at a guy like Seguin who is regarded as one of the better 2nd overall picks in recent memory he’s only hit the 80 point plateau twice in his career, so like I said I think production is fine, would love to see him pot 50 and get 100 points but hey there’s always next year o_O

I disagree, I expect more from Laine. Maybe my expectations arent realistic and he isnt as good of a player as I think and thats on me.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Considering how bad his 2 way game was the last few years, he has really stepped up his defensive game this year and that obviously is having an effect on his offensive numbers. He is shooting less and opting to pass when he should be shooting.
I don’t mind him working on other aspects of his game, especially being so young and hopefully has a fully rounded game when he hits his prime. Would love to see a Ovi “lite” when he fully develops.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
IMO his shot lost a lot of its lethality when he suffered the concussion during his rookie season. Whether that's a direct cause or merely a coincidence is unknown.

He scored 44 goals the very next season.

Yep, the drop off in goal scoring didn't show up until last season.
That's why I think the back problems is a much better guess than the old concussion.

You can see his wrister is still lethal (case in point the shoot out goal against the Leafs), but his slapper/one-timer is not what it used to be. Back problems could explain that.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
He's sub-50% in cf%, ff% and xGF%, and he's negative relative to his teammates like he has been his entire career.

He is on the ice way more than others on 5 on 5 when Jets score and don't get scored on as much as others.

That's basically what matters in hockey. Being a positive influence to the score. He is, more so than any other Jets forward.

That's the argument you need to respond to, not some obscure stats you can point to that mean nothing to most people. Expected stats are much weaker indicator of anything than realized stats. They go by averages. How is xGF% a defensive stat? Why bring it in a conversation about his defensive play? Just because some people don't know what the stat is, and might be fooled to think you're on to something?

Reactions: Ippenator

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He is on the ice way more than others on 5 on 5 when Jets score and don't get scored on as much as others.

That's basically what matters in hockey. Being a positive influence to the score. He is, more so than any other Jets forward.

That's the argument you need to respond to, not some obscure stats you can point to that mean nothing to most people. Expected stats are much weaker indicator of anything than realized stats. They go by averages. How is xGF% a defensive stat? Why bring it in a conversation about his defensive play? Just because some people don't know what the stat is, and might be fooled to think you're on to something?
Because its reflective of generating chances and allowing chances. Just because his line has been able to outshoot their problems percentage-wise doesn't make him good defensively, which is what you are pointing to looking at plus/minus.

Stats that I pointed to, are much better indicators of future performance. Do you really think plus/minus is a great indicator of defensive play? Has Laine gone from the absolute worst defensive player on the Jets to the best in one off-season? Because that seems to be what you are indicating if you actually value plus/minus as a stat.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about because he was miles worse last season than this season lol.

Does thay mean I cant expect him to be better than a 75 point player? My expectations are higher for an offensive minded 2nd overall.

He might not be what I expect, and thats on me for thinking to highly of him.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
I'm confused as to why people think Laine is 'better' this season. He's essentially regressed even more than last season. Currently he's producing poorly. Among all forwards with 500+ even strength minutes played (280 forwards):

46.36% CF% (253rd), 43.47% xGF% (269th), 45.03% SCF% (259th), 40.06% HDCF% (275th)

He's been brutal. He's barely keeping up; he's barely driving offense and these stats look like Carlyle level offensive stats.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I'm confused as to why people think Laine is 'better' this season. He's essentially regressed even more than last season. Currently he's producing poorly. Among all forwards with 500+ even strength minutes played (280 forwards):

46.36% CF% (253rd), 43.47% xGF% (269th), 45.03% SCF% (259th), 40.06% HDCF% (275th)

He's been brutal. He's barely keeping up; he's barely driving offense and these stats look like Carlyle level offensive stats.
maybe because they actually watch him play hockey games rather than basing their opinions entirely on spreadsheets

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Where did I say he is a disappointment? He was really good until this year, now he seems to be an average 2nd overall. Thats not bad, but I had higher expecations for him. Im guessing this is just a down year.
Honestly dude, it seems like you're just posting about a player you don't watch and know nothing about. Laine is playing the best hockey of his career

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

You do get that the Jets are an abysmal advanced stats team right? I love people that want to post statistics they clearly don't understand lmao

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Honestly dude, it seems like you're just posting about a player you don't watch and know nothing about. Laine is playing the best hockey of his career

Honestly man, its my opinon on the guy. I see him as a sniper, and hes not sniping oike expected. If you are happy with it, all the power to you. Not sure why my opinion would matter to you.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You do get that the Jets are an abysmal advanced stats team right? I love people that want to post statistics they clearly don't understand lmao

You mean they are just a bad team. Not like Ottawa or Detroit bad, but below average and have the worst point % in the central.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Honestly man, its my opinon on the guy. I see him as a sniper, and hes not sniping oike expected. If you are happy with it, all the power to you. Not sure why my opinion would matter to you.
Why does your opinion on a player you don't watch and know nothing about matter to anyone? The only thing that actually matters is objective results, not your feelings

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He'd be around 30 if he had anywhere near the PPG's he had in previous seasons. We're also in the bottom half of the NHL in GF.

He's a much better overall player and doing more to contribute nightly, but of course you miss the big goal total. Jets really need a point on the PP that can feed him properly. Pionk can get pucks through from the point but his one time passes are off constantly.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You mean they are just a bad team. Not like Ottawa or Detroit bad, but below average and have the worst point % in the central.

Please don't use advanced stats if you're then going to post something as incredibly ignorant as this.

At 5v5 we have the 9th worst CF%, 9th worst GF%, worst xGF% (Yes even worse than Detroit) the worst HDCF% and only team below 40%.

We rely on talent to win us games and Helle to drag us kicking and screaming to a place where we can do so.

We're an awful awful team by an analytics measurement.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Why does your opinion on a player you don't watch and know nothing about matter to anyone? The only thing that actually matters is objective results, not your feelings

How do you know how often I watch? Its not as much as a jets fan, but about 25% of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad