What Does a Full Rebuild Look like .....

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'd assume Ellis is on the list because he's considered one of the leaders in the lockerroom. Forsberg not being mentioned is sus though, unless he isnt planning on sticking around after his deal expires.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Was disappointed to hear that Ellis is untouchable and Forsberg isn't. But I wouldn't completely believe that report, I don't think we're going full fire-sale at any point, at least while Hynes is still here.

Reactions: bdub24

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Interesting that forsberg, fabbro, and saros aren’t mentioned. I bet they’re not big on handing another huge contract to an aging player (forsberg). Fabbro and saros havent been bad but they also havent been great. I think anyone should be up for trade if the return is right. Only exception being pekka unless he wants to go cup chasing somewhere. He’s been here long enough and the return wouldn’t be great anyways

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I could see us doing a fabbro for liljegren type deal. Get an expansion exempt player while Toronto gets a Young RHD that’s playing in the nhl
That would be totally nuts. Fabbro is at least already a good #4 D in the NHL. Liljegren might not rise above the level of a Yannick Weber. And we have zero issues with protecting 4 D in expansion, so there is no motivation on that front either.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm getting worried that Poile is going to sell off players leading up to the trade deadline while keeping Hynes employed. Imagine having more faith in the guy who you hired only a year ago and hasn't done anything for the organization than in the players who you drafted and developed and have brought you success before.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I'm getting worried that Poile is going to sell off players leading up to the trade deadline while keeping Hynes employed. Imagine having more faith in the guy who you hired only a year ago and hasn't done anything for the organization than in the players who you drafted and developed and have brought you success before.
If he is going into a rebuild what reason does he have to fire Hynes before the summer? None Paying Hynes to be gone and another Coach for the rest of the season makes little sense when they really do not care if they win or lose.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If he is going into a rebuild what reason does he have to fire Hynes before the summer? None Paying Hynes to be gone and another Coach for the rest of the season makes little sense when they really do not care if they win or lose.
Because it is not productive to give kids ice time if all they do is learn how to be disorganized and terrible.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I think that you misunderstood me. I'm not suggesting that a rebuild is a foregone conclusion, but the opposite. I'm saying that I would fire Hynes now and give the players a last, best chance to prove themselves before the trade deadline arrives on April 12th. They might just turn the season around, but, if not, it'll unquestionably be on them, not the coaching, and help answer which players to keep (because they respond to a new coach) and which to jettison (because they don't care anymore). I think that that makes a lot of sense, certainly more than giving up on the season and the players because you're too proud to accept that the problem might be the coach that you recently hired.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm actually going to do myself a favor and maybe not go on the trade boards for the rest of the season...and the one after that...
Ha I already liked that idea, but spending any time on the Trade board thread is just going to get me banned. The headshakes and eyerolls I would deploy would be too much.

I don't know what orifice Friedman pulled that rumor of his out of, but I'll eat my keyboard if we trade any of our noteworthy players at all. It's just not Poile's style, and I don't believe it's going to be his preferred path.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I don't know what orifice Friedman pulled that rumor of his out of, but I'll eat my keyboard if we trade any of our noteworthy players at all. It's just not Poile's style, and I don't believe it's going to be his preferred path.
I'm having trouble finding the "Blow It Up" threads on the Stars board. Most of their core is older than ours and as they're sitting at 14 points too, they're done. ;)

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Ha I already liked that idea, but spending any time on the Trade board thread is just going to get me banned. The headshakes and eyerolls I would deploy would be too much.

Just got to remember, most of these dipshits never watch our team play and have no real sense of our players(nor, in reverse, do we know anything about their prospects), they all have incentive to pay the least possible in an offer for one of our players (they want to keep ALL their shiny blue chip prospects, which almost all of their prospects are), and all of this has f***-all to do with what's actually going to happen with our roster anyway. It's just fan noise and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Bottom line is we know Josi is here to stay. I think Forsberg is only going to be traded if he's expressed he's not going to re-sign here (or we get a really stupid offer), and there is a possibility that would have been the case regardless (and if we need to keep Jarnkrok here to keep him happy, I'm ok with that too, I actually think Calle would be a great player to have around during a rebuild). Will be interesting to see how the rest, and the expansion draft, plays out.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Ultimately, I don't think Poile's going to trade Ekholm unless he's completely sure we have a backup plan for him in Farrance.

NCAA season ends in March and the TDL is in April, so there's a little time for Farrance to jump in and for Poile to make the call on Ekholm.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Ultimately, I don't think Poile's going to trade Ekholm unless he's completely sure we have a backup plan for him in Farrance.

NCAA season ends in March and the TDL is in April, so there's a little time for Farrance to jump in and for Poile to make the call on Ekholm.
It has to be timing and circumstances that lead to all the trade talk on Ekholm because he is THE Dman on the Preds. Josi excells due to his offensive abilities. Ellis has all around skills. But Ekholm is the prototype of an NHL Dman. I, for one, hope Preds can find a way to keep him. They have a lot of kids/prospects out there but not one of them is an Ekholm.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Here you guys go again on drafting a defenseman that is going to be hit or miss. Farrance is the hot name of the moment. Remember that guy named Dekyser you were drooling over he has been healthy scratched for 6 or 7 games on a team that can not stop a beachball. I have all but lost any respect for the evaluation of talent here. You overvalue anyone in a Pred uni and just drool over unproven or mediocre performers. Why? As Pred fans are we destined to have Forsberg the best forward we can get? You do not trade for generational talent you draft it in the top 3 picks of a draft when they are available. There are none really this year and due to the limited hockey that has been played now for a year next years crop is murky.

Just go ahead and deny yet again this team needing to rebuild. From top to bottom this team is so bad you could bring McDavid and the best coach in the league and they would still not make the playoffs. Anyone that takes a critical look at the team is dismissed as a heretic. Just a few days ago before one win most were onboard with doing what needed to be done but one damn win and its like superman has arrived. This team is bad. Because they looked good on paper makes it even worse not only are they lacking in on ice ability they lack heart.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Not wanting to add to pain or act a vulture... at this point what would a fair return on Arvidsson look like (Pens fan who lost his Horny, is sad, and is looking for the younger model)?

Jul 12, 2007
That and not making short sighted trades and UFA signings. You typically need to draft elite talent and get the right guys as role players. That takes a good GM and some luck but having more shots at it improves your odds.

The other aspect of moving some of our guys is you need to have room for players to get a chance to shine. If we keep our defense together as is there isn’t any room for any prospect to develop. Same goes for centers to some extent.
I think this very accurate. DET and CHI went on their great runs primarily with very strong, consistent role players. Guys like Draper, Maltby, Chelios, McCarty, Seabrook, Keith, Hossa, Shaw, Hjalmarsson, etc.
You only need a few Toewes / Kane / Yzerman /Lidstrom /Datsyuk.
The rest you put together carefully and methodically. Until you have 4 lines and 3 pairs that all contribute every night.
This is where Poile sucks. He puts together a supporting cast of old junk. We have a good core right now if not for Hynes even screwing that up.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Here you guys go again on drafting a defenseman that is going to be hit or miss. Farrance is the hot name of the moment. Remember that guy named Dekyser you were drooling over he has been healthy scratched for 6 or 7 games on a team that can not stop a beachball. I have all but lost any respect for the evaluation of talent here. You overvalue anyone in a Pred uni and just drool over unproven or mediocre performers. Why? As Pred fans are we destined to have Forsberg the best forward we can get? You do not trade for generational talent you draft it in the top 3 picks of a draft when they are available. There are none really this year and due to the limited hockey that has been played now for a year next years crop is murky.

Just go ahead and deny yet again this team needing to rebuild. From top to bottom this team is so bad you could bring McDavid and the best coach in the league and they would still not make the playoffs. Anyone that takes a critical look at the team is dismissed as a heretic. Just a few days ago before one win most were onboard with doing what needed to be done but one damn win and its like superman has arrived. This team is bad. Because they looked good on paper makes it even worse not only are they lacking in on ice ability they lack heart.
I'd like to know who you are talking about, both the players and the poster that has given an evaluation.

If you're talking about Fabbro, I do like him, I think he's got a high skill level, he just has to work out the speed of the game, but that's understandable for a guy with 85 games of experience that had very little training camp, and is being coached by Hynes. If you're talking about Farrance, I'll have to pass that on to the guys that have seen him play. I have no idea why you're bringing up Dekyser.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Not wanting to add to pain or act a vulture... at this point what would a fair return on Arvidsson look like (Pens fan who lost his Horny, is sad, and is looking for the younger model)?
Players like Hornqvist really get to some fans. Still miss that guy. For the first few years, I thought RV was gonna fill that void, but he has turned out to be a bit too undersized to take all the abuse that Horny handled with ease. STL broke RV with cheap shots.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't like counting on Farrance as anything more than a upside prospect at this point. I would be pretty surprised if he was defensively ready to play many/any minutes in the NHL. Girard surprised faster than I expected, and exceeded expectations by a long bit on the defensive side. I hope Farrance does as well, but I am not relying on that.

If we are looking to fill a role on the defense this year then the answers have to be in the AHL in my mind. Davies and Allard have been the top pairing the last few games. Allard looks to have jumped right in and impressed the coaches with play and attitude.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't like counting on Farrance as anything more than a upside prospect at this point. I would be pretty surprised if he was defensively ready to play many/any minutes in the NHL. Girard surprised faster than I expected, and exceeded expectations by a long bit on the defensive side. I hope Farrance does as well, but I am not relying on that.

If we are looking to fill a role on the defense this year then the answers have to be in the AHL in my mind. Davies and Allard have been the top pairing the last few games. Allard looks to have jumped right in and impressed the coaches with play and attitude.
I've always liked Allard's game. I've not seen enough of Davies to comment. I've not been sold on Carrier, yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad