Silver Seven What Do You Do With Logan Brown?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
You keep Logan Brown and demonstrate Nick Paul patience with him. He is likely the best playmaking centre in the organization and has legit size. He is not the type of player to rely on his size, but lets be patient and allow his skilled game to catch up to his size. Without further injuries please.

Logan's AHL and NHL stats so far in his career are very similar to Mark Stone's at the same age.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Why do we have to do anything with Brown? He just turned 22 and finished his second pro season.

He had two great first AHL seasons. Putting up the numbers he has while dealing with injuries constantly is very impressive.

If he can stay healthy he could be our best center next season. Clearly has #1 center potential if he puts it all together.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Why do we have to do anything with Brown? He just turned 22 and finished his second pro season.

He had two great first AHL seasons. Putting up the numbers he has while dealing with injuries constantly is very impressive.

If he can stay healthy he could be our best center next season. Clearly has #1 center potential if he puts it all together.

I hope we get a solid 2C out of Brown. I’m not sure he will ever be better than Turris from 2013-2017 and I didn’t think he was a 1C.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I hope we get a solid 2C out of Brown. I’m not sure he will ever be better than Turris from 2013-2017 and I didn’t think he was a 1C.

I think Brown's realistic potential is a 50-60P 2nd line C. Sort of like a more one-dimensional Kevin Hayes.

But if he matures as a player and improves his intensity and compete level, there's more upside than that to him.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
I think Brown's realistic potential is a 50-60P 2nd line C. Sort of like a more one-dimensional Kevin Hayes.

But if he matures as a player and improves his intensity and compete level, there's more upside than that to him.

if he does end in a 2nd line centre with 60 pts potential, I will be more than happy! With Norris,Byfield/Stützle,White and L.Brown this is a really good problem to have!!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Nothing needs to be done about L. Brown, it's just a matter of time before he gets into the lineup on a regular basis. I assume that Ottawa will move a few guys next season including two centres in Tierny & Anisimov, who has played some centre last season.

Regardless of where L. Brown ends up in the lineup he is going to improve whatever line he is on & improve the team overall. This should be a very heavy team when all is said & done & they will need Brown's offensive skillset to help with the offence.

The only concern is whether any of these young guys will want to stay in Ottawa once they have reached free agency age & whether they will want to re-sign here. Until then get as much out of them as you can & surround playmakers like Brown with players who compliment his skillset.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
You take your time with him. Logan Brown is either going to be a top 6 center for the sens or he is going to bust. We have a lot of prospect depth but we do not have that top 6 potential like we do in Brown. If he busts he busts.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You take your time with him. Logan Brown is either going to be a top 6 center for the sens or he is going to bust. We have a lot of prospect depth but we do not have that top 6 potential like we do in Brown. If he busts he busts.

He's the ideal prospect for this organization at this time - a boom-or-bust guy.

We have a crazy amount of young forward depth. Not all of these guys are going to pan out, but we'll still probably have somewhat of a log jam with guys like Brown, Batherson, Norris, Balcers, Abramov, Formenton, Chlapik, Pinto, and undoubtedly several 2020 forward picks coming through the pipeline over the next 1-3 years.

Brown will either end up a difference-maker in the Johansen/Hayes mold or he'll go the way of other lazy talented big men like Colborne/Grigorenko. Happy to wait and see which one he turns into. Only forward with more offensive upside in the system is Batherson.

Reactions: NB613 and TheNewEra

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
If the argument is that there are players from the 2016 draft who are even further behind expectations than Logan Brown... then sure.

But if you were to put the top 15 picks from that year into two groups - successes and disappointments - which group would Brown be in? The one with Matthews, Laine, Dubois, Keller, Sergachev, Tkachuk and McAvoy? Or the one with Juolevi, Puljujarvi, Nylander, Jost, McLeod and Bean?

I'm not saying that Brown cannot still develop and become a contributing NHLer. It's certainly possible (just like it is with Puljujarvi, Bean, etc). But based on what I've seen, I'd be surprised.

My biggest issue with Brown is that the problems and red flags he had going into his draft year are still the same problems and red flags he has today. He has great vision and hands, yes. But he still lacks pace, he still floats too often, he still loses puck battles too often. The frustrating thing is that those weaknesses are all a function of effort, and after 4 NHL camps, he still hasn't addressed it.

Brown was drafted as a project though. It’s too early to judge success or disappointment IMO.

It’s like judging the houses of the three little pigs after five days. The straw house and wood house look nice, they’re fully built, and for sure have a better grade than the brick house that doesn’t even have a roof. That said, according to the plans, the straw house was always going to be completed in one day and the wood house in three days, the brick house called for seven days. If you’re grading the houses on day five, the brick house is at a disadvantage.

It would make more sense to check back in on the brick house after the 7th day. Of course, this doesn’t mean Brown will be better than any of the other players, just that it makes sense that his grade is incomplete.

I realize the three little pigs analogy is weird, I swear I’m not trying to be condescending, just spending too much time with the kids during lockdown.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I've been a big Logan Brown supporter from day one. And I think think giving up on him now will be a huge mistake..

We have done everything right with him up to this point, and lived through the ups and downs through his development. And now it's time to reap those rewards.

Even if we draft two center men this year and essentially confirm the fact that Logans days are probably numbered as a Sen, next year is his to play the #2 center role and either force the team to reconsider, or raise his value on the trade market and get a nice asset in return for him.

And if we only walk away with one center at this draft, the idea of Logan Brown as our teams #2C is still an appealing one if he can take the next step. I think that hes more likely to be a top 6 center man than Norris (who could still be top 6 but as a winger imo).

I love Norris, Pinto and White as players and dont think the organization got these picks wrong at all. But only one of these 3 guys can be our our #3C (and they'll be a high end one), but the other two need to play wing if they want to be top 6ers. None of them have the vision to be elite 2md line centers, unfortunately.

Reactions: Cosmix

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Give him 1C minutes in the NHL this year. Sink or swim time. I think he's gonna be very good this year if he can finally stay healthy. Similar numbers to Stone at the same age.

Byfield/Stutzle can benefit from another year of development. Logan could become an elite 2C behind one of those guys. Norris can take some draws and play in either wing in the top 6. If Brown doesn't work out, deal him and Norris will be just fine as 2C.

Reactions: NB613

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
The expectation for 22 year old former #11 picks is higher than "shown flashes" 4 years after their draft. I don't think it's unfair to compare him against his peers in the same draft class - many of whom have already established themselves as top-end NHL players. If we can't compare him to them, what can we do?

I'm not saying it's impossible for Brown to become an NHLer. He might make the jump, he might not. Neither of us know for sure what's going to happen. You think he'll put it together because of his talent, while I don't think he has the effort and pace to play a top 6 role in the NHL. We'll see who's right.

I bet if you asked Dorion thought what he envisioned Brown being 4 years after his draft, though - while he wouldn't call him a bust, I think he'd acknowledge that he hoped he wouldn't still be such a big question mark.

You can compare him to players taken earlier in the draft, or even a few later, but I'm not sure what that has to do with what we do with him, or whether he is a part of a future. It's also tricky for a player like Brown.

For context, when Jason Allison was 22, he was like Brown, still bouncing between the NHL and AHL and hadn't cracked the Caps roster yet. Fans were getting restless. Many 1st rounders from the 1st round of the '93 draft were already full time NHLers when they seemed to have been perhaps less skilled than Allison. Todd Harvey for instance, was drafted a bit earlier than Allison, but had been on the WJC team with him and by 22 already had two full years in the NHL with Dallas, with consecutive 30 point seasons while being a physical presence. Why was a guy like Harvey so far ahead of Allison on the development curve? Allison's cache dropped a bit, even though he was terrific in the AHL, and barely got ice time during his call-ups. He was ultimately traded within a year to Boston, and proceeded to be a #1 center and a PPG player for the next 10 years or so, while guys like Harvey were depth players not worth half as much as Allison. Harvey got the chanc as a depth winger early, but Allison was a big scoring center who needed time be NHL ready and contribute offensively.

We knew we had to be patient with Brown and he has done everything outside the NHL we can ask as a scoring center. It hasn't been "flashes". He has produced. He is not a sure fire top line center yet to be sure, but I do think he's a sure fire middle 6 center who will be great on the PP in the years ahead. I hope it's for us.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Just wondering we could theoretically try to have 3 scoring lines so why not see him center a line with white perhaps

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Just wondering we could theoretically try to have 3 scoring lines so why not see him center a line with white perhaps

I think those two together may struggle to get 15 goals combined next year. They would be a dream match up for opposing coaches to run their top line against.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it's quite possible that they could put together four scoring lines based on who they draft in 2020. I also think it's quite possible for them to also draft a couple of 2nd pairing defencemen & later on in the draft a couple of 3rd pairing defencemen.

They potentially have 9 picks in the first 3 rds, they should be able to do a lot with that, there should be plenty of good players in the 2nd, 3rd & later rds who could surprise & add to the stock pile of good prospects. Depending on who they draft, this has the potential of being the most important draft in Sens history.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
How so is it because they're slow?

I like Brown but I think at his peak he will be a 12G 45A type. He has 21G in the AHL over the last two seasons (injuries/promotions). I think if he had 7G 25+A next year it would be a great step.

I think White is a mess and a line killer. His puck protection and distribution are really weak and I don’t think he could carry himself let alone a rookie. Hopefully he improves. With a rookie like Brown I doubt he improves on his G totals from last year.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
What's happened with White? I mean is he just now a depth player I remember when it felt like he was a future top six center.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The person you're talking to hates White with an extreme passion. Other people think he still has potential.

I don’t hate White. I just don’t think he has developed into a good player and he has a terrible contract. I hope he has potential left too. I would love for White to get 20G 30A next year as much as anyone. However, I don’t want Brown or anyone blocked while we are waiting for White to develop and I don’t want Browns integration into the NHL to be supported by the CW we have seen.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Keep him. He will be lights out better playing with the elite talent the Sens will get in this draft. Some players need to play with good players to really shine.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Logan's AHL and NHL stats so far in his career are very similar to Mark Stone's at the same age.
This. I posted something similar a while back.

Logan Brown before turning 22:
NHL: 9P in 29GP
AHL: 70P in 81GP

Mark Stone before turning 22:
NHL: 8P in 23GP
AHL: 79P in 91GP

Very similar. Before everyone goes and calls him a bust.

His skating was an early issue and we've seen steady development in that regard. Just like we saw Stone do after he got drafted. He didn't breakout into the NHL until his 22 year old season.

His biggest challenge is staying healthy. If he can do that, he's a Top 6 C in the NHL in the near future.

I doubt Dorion trades him. He was his first draft pick as GM and he traded a 3rd to move up ONE SPOT to get him. And after witnessing what Zibanejad has turned into, there's no way Dorion will let go of Logan Brown.

I think he'll be the biggest surprise to most sens fans this year.

Side note: Brown went back to the AHL in late December. The same time Duclair's slump started. Not a causation by any means but there's gotta be some correlation there.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
This. I posted something similar a while back.

Logan Brown before turning 22:
NHL: 9P in 29GP
AHL: 70P in 81GP

Mark Stone before turning 22:
NHL: 8P in 23GP
AHL: 79P in 91GP

Very similar. Before everyone goes and calls him a bust.

His skating was an early issue and we've seen steady development in that regard. Just like we saw Stone do after he got drafted. He didn't breakout into the NHL until his 22 year old season.

His biggest challenge is staying healthy. If he can do that, he's a Top 6 C in the NHL in the near future.

I doubt Dorion trades him. He was his first draft pick as GM and he traded a 3rd to move up ONE SPOT to get him. And after witnessing what Zibanejad has turned into, there's no way Dorion will let go of Logan Brown.

I think he'll be the biggest surprise to most sens fans this year.

Side note: Brown went back to the AHL in late December. The same time Duclair's slump started. Not a causation by any means but there's gotta be some correlation there.

I'd call out a key difference:

Mark Stone could never get by on talent alone and had to bust his ass to improve to the point where he was a legitimate NHL player. His work ethic, dedication and effort-level were second to none.

Logan Brown has incredible natural ability and size, and has been able to coast through different levels and still produce. His work ethic, dedication to training and pace were questioned in his draft year, and continue to be four years later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad