Silver Seven What Do You Do With Logan Brown?

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
What Do You Do With Logan Brown?

Weekly Question: What Do You Do With Logan Brown? - Silver Seven

Very good article about Logan Brown. It’s a must read.

Trade Him!

I’ll start by saying I think there could be merit, at this point, in trading Brown but there’s a large caveat — how are the Senators about to use their first two draft picks in Junewhenever the draft occurs?
I’m of the opinion that drafting the best player available is the only way to go, especially in the first round. The good news is there is no shortage of quality centres available early in the 2020 draft so it’s likely that the best player available to Ottawa will be a centre. It’s even quite possible that the Senators walk away with two quality centres. What a day that would be!

Realistically, there are two options. First, trade him while the Senators can still use his potential as a big part of his trade value. Second, practice patience and continue his development within the Ottawa system.

click the link for more.

Keep Him!

The other option in this scenario is to keep Brown and let him continue developing. For me, this means having him as a regular member of the Ottawa lineup next season. I think Brown has learned enough at the AHL level and all he’ll do if he spends more time in Belleville is continue to produce and wait for his turn in the show.

Looking at Brown’s production over his young career, there are things to like. In his draft+1 year, Brown had a fine season in Windsor that saw him put up 40 points in 35 games, missing time with an injury. In his draft+2 year, he split the season between Windsor and Kitchener, where he amassed 48 points in 32 games. If you’re noticing the games played trend here, you’re catching on. During the World Juniors, Brown’s tournament was halted at three games because of yet another injury.

Click the link for more.

Reset Your Expectations

All in all the question of what to do with Logan Brown is actually a trick question itself (gotcha!) because the answer might be less about the above options and more about resetting our expectations.

Listen, I’d love for Brown to come in and be a 70+ point beast of a first line centre. The opportunity to watch a guy with his unique combination of size and skill centre a player like Brady Tkachuk is a thing of dreams. Between the two of them, it wouldn’t matter who the third player on the line was. Brown’s ability to move the puck and Tkachuk’s tenacity near the net would be a lethal combination. That being said, I don’t think we should expect that of Brown anymore. Will he be a second line centre? Maybe! But even if he settles in as a strong, scoring third line centre, that would be a win for this organization.

When you look at the teams that have put together strong playoff runs or gone as far as winning the Stanley Cup, you can point to centre depth as a big reason for their success. If the Senators can grab someone like Byfield or Stützle (or both?!) at the draft, run Colin White as the second line centre and then follow that up with a 6’6” skilled centre on the third line, that’s a seriously special lineup down the middle. And, don’t get me wrong, it’s totally possible that Brown still ends up as a solid second line centre and White is the guy holding down the fort on line three.

So if we’re answering the question of what to do with Logan Brown today, I say you keep him but reset your expectations for that first line centre role that we’ve been hoping for. Brown is going to be a solid NHL centre who will be a great contributor to many playoff runs in his career, and I think Ottawa is the perfect place for him to do just that.

Reactions: NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
None of the above, stay the course. They knew it was a long term development curve ever since they drafted him. Why they would change their minds now makes no sense. The sens have absolutely no reason to trade him. They have holes everywhere in the lineup and he has progressed every season. You'd think after watching Zibanejad break out since the team gave up on him sens fans would take the patient approach.

I dont know why our expectations would change either this is more or less how i expected it to go.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
When given an extended opportunity last year in the top-6, he looked good. Then he got injured... came back and played bottom-6 minutes and looked bad.
He’s the typical top-6 or bust player.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I don’t see him panning out as a first line center so I would trade him if they can get a good return.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
One of Brown/White/Chalpik will be on their way out either this coming season or the next. My money is on Brown. There's too many Cs coming up (Pinto, Norris, 2/3rd overall pick). No point in keeping him. I'd give him one more season but after that it's time to pull the plug. Maybe he flourishes with another team a la Zibanejad, but sometimes that's what it takes.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
I'd say keep him. Let him start in the AHL then come up by Christmas with full confidence and keep him up. His injuries really set him back in his development. But every season he's getting better.

Reactions: Matsens15

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
I still have lots of hope in Logan Brown. The guy have all the tools to be a 1st line Center. The only thing , he have to stay HEALTHY.

Reactions: NB613

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I liked his power play last season. And his defensive game looked decent. Keep him, and give him offensive assignments in the NHL. Just don't expect him to be a complete player yet.

Reactions: derriko and Deku

saskytaxi

Feb 13, 2019
sasky
Could be used as a trade piece in a big package but dont dish him one for one. I say keep developing him and hope for the best.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Like others said, give him some time as either 2C or 3C for a few months (whichever he earns by his play in camp). Then start figuring out what he is and has the realistic potential to be in the NHL.

And no, things are NOT getting crowded at all. It's not difficult for most centers to transition to wing. As a matter of fact, I'd much prefer to do that with most prospects than simply making trades to move centers. Having another player on the ice that can take faceoffs and has that little extra hockey IQ/vision on the ice at all times can be a huge advantage.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Nobody was really happy with where Nick Paul and Zibby were a few seasons in either.

Big men with an edge are the preference, but big men who can position themselves not to be moved in the zone can be almost as good.

Ben Harpur looked like he would be too meek to stick in the show, but he built enough edge to still be getting show level dollars.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Brown for Puljujarvi makes a lot of sense if the Sens end up with two centers in the draft.

I want to give him another year, but that would be a pretty decent return all things considered, and Jesse would be a good fit for the new Sens identity.

Reactions: Crosside

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Brown for Puljujarvi makes a lot of sense if the Sens end up with two centers in the draft.

I want to give him another year, but that would be a pretty decent return all things considered, and Jesse would be a good fit for the new Sens identity.
puljujarvi couldn't even come close to Browns AHL numbers.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would keep Brown. theres been absolutely nothing to complain about from a progression point of view except maybe his injuries. point producing first line center against men while not even really having his strength yet. he WAS ALWAYS a project and when we drafted him some didn't love the pick (I personally didn't and don't LOVE the player) and reactions to that were "OH you just hate dorion lets judge brown 4-5 years down the line big players take longer hes not lazy hes just tall got a long stride " now the same guys are saying trade him when hes actually come along very very nicely lol. I didn't epect him to put up those points in the AHL in his rooke and sopho years. I still don't think hes a future one C, but his progression screams DO NOT TRADE HIM

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

That makes very little sense. The Senators trade a guy they knew would be a long term project who is still on his entry level deal for a guy who looks like a bust who is already off his entry level deal.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I think he's one of those players that is going to be a star, but it might not be for the team that drafts him. The Sens are going to need to find the fine line between giving him a legitimate chance and trading him while there is still value.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I really hope Brown, Norris, and White get equal chances to take over the 1,2, or 4 C rolls this year. It’s time for these guys to be allowed to figure it out themselves.

Brown and Norris have achieved a lot more success than White ever had in the AHL. They deserve a fair shot .

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad