What could greatly improve this team?

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
In a lieu of canes new fund success maybe we should just poach Eric T. from them and purge front office of dinosaurs like hexy, lombardi, homer and co.

Reactions: Rebels57

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I wanted us to use one of our first round picks on a D man this year . We looked good there if everyone works out but they seldom do . So much of a teams offence can come from a good D that transistions the puck with quick accurate first passes , it is an area which i would like to see improve weather by player upgrade or system improvement . imo of course .

Reactions: smoochy

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Can you quote me saying they'd be genuinely contending this year? Or do you just want to make it up because someone else said I said we'd be legitimate contenders? (or whatever you're trying to say I said).
I'm not digging through your post history to find a specific example, but you were definitely on here pumping sunshine.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Obviously fire the nitwit coach,
Stop believing the bullshit that this is a playoff team and that Hexy wants them to win a series this year, he has a timeline he has been working off of since he got hired, he uses the fanbases diehard loyalty to mask the fact that it’s going to take a long ass time to rebuild, but they pump the fans up with playoff talk and what have you, and let’s not get it twisted IF all of Hexy’s plan comes to fruition yes it will be sweet to finally see a cup raised in my lifetime BUT as well all know who watch hockey it’s just not skill, it’s just not vets it’s just not a system, it’s just not luck, BUT it’s actually all those things as well
If Hexy has his plan come together perfectly there is still a huge chance the Flyers syill don’t win a cup, but with all that daid their brand of hockey sucks to watch right now, I loathe everything Hackstool, and want a new identity for this team

Reactions: smoochy

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'm not digging through your post history to find a specific example, but you were definitely on here pumping sunshine.

Ah, so this is how people operate eh? Just make a claim and not have to ever back it up.

I'm still pumping sunshine bro -- just not for this year (and as far as I remember, I never did pump sunshine for this year). This is the year where we start to progress and see results (the year is very young, but injuries have hampered it a bit) and next year we should be genuinely making noise/contending (not favorites mind you -- contending.)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And that'd be arguably the single dumbest decision they could make.

In your opinion.

I'd like to see them having a competent coaching staff for the first time in nearly 6 years and actually flirt with winning a playoff series though; so my opinion is different.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In a lieu of canes new fund success maybe we should just poach Eric T. from them and purge front office of dinosaurs like hexy, lombardi, homer and co.

I wouldn't bet on Carolina down the road, think you're looking at a fluke.
Aho (21) is off to a hot start, 2nd leading scorer is J Williams (37), 3rd is Staal (30).
They did add Hamilton (at the cost of Hanifin #5-15 and Lindholm #5-13) and buy De Haan and trade a 2nd for TVR, rebuilding their defense.
Svechnikov is playing at 18, but he was also the #2 pick.
Necas (20) (#12-17) is playing 4th line minutes.
Foegle is a 22 year old rookie, and Fleury (22) was the #7 pick in 2014.
Wallmark (23) has spent two years in the AHL.
#13-2016 Jake Bean and #21-2016 Julien Gauthier have yet to make the NHL (both in the AHL)
This team actually drafted better after the 1st rd last few years, Aho #35-15, Pesce #66-13, McGinn #47-12, Slavin #120-12, Rask #42-11

So while they're a young team, their youth is mostly 24-26 years old (Slavin, Faulk, Pesce, Teravainen, Ferland, Martinook, McGinn).
As usual, their goalies suck (sound familar?), McElhinny, Mrazek and Ward is injured (not that he's really missed).

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
In your opinion.

I'd like to see them having a competent coaching staff for the first time in nearly 6 years and actually flirt with winning a playoff series though; so my opinion is different.

1) Of course it's my opinion. I'm the one who said it (I even added "arguably" to further add an element of debate).
2) My post isn't in conflict of yours. I'd also like a different/better coaching staff and win a playoff series. One doesn't depend on the other (referring to Firing Hextall gets you that staff/playoff victory).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
1) Of course it's my opinion. I'm the one who said it (I even added "arguably" to further add an element of debate).
2) My post isn't in conflict of yours. I'd also like a different/better coaching staff and win a playoff series. One doesn't depend on the other (referring to Firing Hextall gets you that staff/playoff victory).

1) Fair enough.

2) Then you should probably hope Hextall is fired if you want a new coaching staff too.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
1) Fair enough.

2) Then you should probably hope Hextall is fired if you want a new coaching staff too.

The coaching change will happen under Hextall -- barring his own untimely death, I'm willing to put money on that as well.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The coaching change will happen under Hextall -- barring his own untimely death, I'm willing to put money on that as well.

They aren't even close to that point. Their recent media efforts to pump Hakstols (tractor) tires suggests they are fully committed. It's not happening. He's more likely to get an extension then get fired.

I was a big Hextall supporter too and I was fully on board with hoarding picks for a few years then drafting wisely, but none of it matters if you are blindly loyal to a league-worst coaching staff.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Difficult time to be a Flyers fan since I think they'll have to pay overpay for a defensive asset if they want to acquire one. Not too many teams are in the rebuilding phase where they could go out and acquire that player. I don't watch too many games besides the Flyers so its hard for me to zone in on who that could be.

Last edited:

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Because you talked about how they'd be greatly improved this year when doing this same schtick last year. Does this team looks greatly improved? The blind faith in "next year will be better" is a defeatist attitude especially when it isn't occurring. This team is only slightly better than it was 5 years ago but overall it's in the same exact position at the NHL level. An absolutely elite mediocre team.

5 years away from being 5 years away..

:mad:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I do think Hextall expects to start winning playoff rounds this year. He didn't give JVR $35,000,000 just to miss the playoffs or be an easy first round exit again. However, he must still believe that Hakstol is capable of getting the team to that position, and only a lot more ticks in the L column will convince him that he was wrong.
Yeah, the JVR signing is big when looking at the mindset he has. If they don’t win a round this year, he’s not going to be happy. If they miss the playoffs.... yikes.

We just have to hope his ultra-patience runs out with Hakstol and a little self-preservation kicks in.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
You are not wrong in that thinking.

Didn't someone want to bet their kidney that Neuvirth would have a great, healthy year this year?

I wouldn't bet the loose lint in my pocket over Neuvirth being healthy. Someone must be desperate.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad