HF Habs: What can we do as fans?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Yes the situation might be frustrating for some die hard fans. Yes, you may not like Therrien (welcome to the club). But unless you have a vetted interest in the organisation (i.e. Making money with the club), why would go nuts about...hockey?!?

...some people just have a very passionate personality...;)

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Can you provide me with an example with a link?

Generally, the statement has to be proved, not the rebuttal.

Are there any links that state "every hockey insider considers the Habs on the right path." ... 'cause I also disagree.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'm sure everyone would love a blue chip draft pick, but they are as close to first place in the division as they are to last and I don't think anyone, beyond the real sky is falling alarmists really think they have played nearly as bad as their record indicates.

Therrien is in over his head with this team, in my opinion, but I don't think you're going to see this team bottom up nearly enough to get a serious lottery ticket (and the lottery is re-structured) and frankly I don't think you will ever see this organization do what Buffalo or Toronto or teams like that have done and intentionally ice a bad team. I just don't think it's in the DNA of this organization, so I think those hoping for that will be disappointed.

It was frankly baffling to read, in the "You're the GM" thread all of these people announcing they would "shut Price down for the season" as if he can heal more than 100 percent. When he's healed, and the doctors clear him, he's going to play. Asking him not to do that would become an issue with the NHLPA right away, but people making this bizarre claim, of course, know more than the medical staff and know that what he really needs is to sit for the whole season. Furthermore, there are people saying, skip the whole season *and* get surgery, as if that's a thing he could do. If the injury required surgery, he would have had it months ago. It just get frustrating trying to sift through the drama, over-reaction, hysterics and fantasy land stuff.

Their are things you can do to get you a better position in the draft and I don't think trading guys like Markov and Plek would be such a bad idea this year. They're both slowing down and are not playoff guys so what use are they to us at the moment? If you can get a good return for them, then you do it with this strong draft.

As for Price, I just don't want them rushing anything. If he's 100%, then you play him but not before he's back to 100%. I'm worried they may do that to save MT and make him look good.

The core is still there with this team. You keep your Subbans and Gallaghers because they will carry the team for years to come. I just see many expendables on this team and with guys like Carr, Ghetto, Mac, Scherby and Pateryn looking to make the jump in the near future, I think it may be time to make a little room. Not like we're winning the cup this year anyways.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
you are literally picking a fight with another person here and it does no one any good...we are here as Habs fans; while we may not always agree, there's no need to create hard feelings among ourselves when there doesn't have to be such confrontations...that's all I'm saying...

It's only "picking a fight" if people think their behaviour is above reproach. It's only picking a fight if the alarmists think it's their god-given right to pollute thread after thread with their dire predictions and endless insults towards coaches, players and management ad nauseum and nobody can object to, or, at the very least, call them on it.

This is a public forum filled with a lot of different opinions. People are going to agree, they are going to disagree and they are going to find some ridiculous. I don't think it has to be a "fight" if people don't agree or people think something is silly, clearly you feel differently, but to each their own.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

-is the difference between Habs and leafs fans. They quietly accept sliding into mediocrity, we make noise and demand better.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

-is the difference between Habs and leafs fans. They quietly accept sliding into mediocrity, we make noise and demand better.

Um, Leafs fans threw waffles and jerseys on the ice and DEMANDED change. And they got it.

The Canadiens GM just came out and said: "Our goalie is out, trades are hard mmkay" and most of the fanbase was placated...

Habs fans could learn a lot from leafs fans.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Um, Leafs fans threw waffles and jerseys on the ice and DEMANDED change. And they got it.

The Canadiens GM just came out and said: "Our goalie is out, trades are hard mmkay" and most of the fanbase was placated...

He came out and said:

Trades are hard.
I didn't miss out on anybody.
I won't make trades.
You have to tank to get top picks.
We don't have top picks so we can't get great players.
I have done nothing to help this team.
But I won't do anything to help this team.
Because I can't do anything to help this team.
I can look in the mirror and be satisfied with this.

But yeah, keep supporting that.

The Spaniard

Nov 3, 2010
Madrid
So, what can we do as fans?

Not panic.

Such a huge slump is unsustainable.

I'm amaze so many people think this can keep going.

Even without changing anything, eventually, this will end and they will regress to the mean.

Without Price so far they have 26 points in 33 games. Considering this includes a long trip in the west, it's statistically not so weird. Easy schedule next month so safe to bet there will be at least a little more wins then loses to end up with a record of more or less .500 without Price.

Which is what pretty much everybody expected.

Regression toward the mean

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not panic.

Even without changing anything, eventually, this will end and they will regress to the mean.

Without Price so far they have 26 points in 33 games. Considering this includes a long trip in the west, it's statistically not so weird. Easy schedule next month so safe to bet there will be at least a little more wins then loses to end up with a record of more or less .500 without Price.

No one cares about the huge slump. We care about the pattern of problems between management and coaching staff which is going unaddressed and has been told to us, one last time, isn't going to be addressed.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
The only real power fans have is buying power. Fans stopping buying tickets and merchandise and a decline in attendance/profits is the only thing that can have an impact. Those silly online petitions and protests won,t do ****. The Montreal Canadiens are a multi millions dollars business first and foremost and if you want to shake them a lil bit you have to cut into their revenues. It's as simple as that

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
No one cares about the huge slump. We care about the pattern of problems between management and coaching staff which is going unaddressed and has been told to us, one last time, isn't going to be addressed.

Dude.

Log off. Go outside and enjoy the night. Have a lady friend come over.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Dude.

Log off. Go outside and enjoy the night. Have a lady friend come over.

I am going out tonight, don't worry about me.

Just because my posts are passionate doesn't mean that this team means all that much to me. Incompetence at high levels frustrate me and I'll point it out when I see it. Doesn't mean it's going to effect my actual life in any way.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I am going out tonight, don't worry about me.

Just because my posts are passionate doesn't mean that this team means all that much to me. Incompetence at high levels frustrate me and I'll point it out when I see it. Doesn't mean it's going to effect my actual life in any way.

OK good. It's just hockey. I'm a big Habs fan but with age you realize there's more important things in life.

The Spaniard

Nov 3, 2010
Madrid
No one cares about the huge slump.

I don't belive that.

If Price misses only a month and the team plays .500, people wouldn't complain that much, probably not at all. When Price got hurt I remember people on this board being confident saying things like "this team can be .500 with Condon, we will be fine". .500 seemed acceptable back then.

And I'm pretty confident they will be at least .450 after the next four weeks (18pts in 16 games).

Could have been better, obviously. But that's not that so far from .500.

Without this huge slump, people's perception of a .450 record would be very different.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
OK good. It's just hockey. I'm a big Habs fan but with age you realize there's more important things in life.

Oh yeah, dude, trust me, I learned that lesson. I've just adopted a certain posting style and that's the way I like to do it.

Honestly, I never expected anything suggested in this thread to happen, some things may happen naturally from losing/incompetence but it's more an exercise in seeing what fans can do, with what power they do had, should we want to make a change.

We're all posting on a message board, the amount of people saying they won't watch, will be watching tonight. I won't be, because I'm going out with friends to have a drink, going out to a bar, then going to an event at a club. Hopefully meet some nice new ladies to take on dates. Watching this team on a Saturday night is far down the list of priorities.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't belive that.

If Price misses only a month and the team plays .500, people wouldn't complain that much, probably not at all. When Price got hurt I remember people on this board being confident saying things like "this team can be .500 with Condon, we will be fine". .500 seemed acceptable back then.

And I'm pretty confident they will be at least .450 after the next four weeks (18pts in 16 games).

Could have been better, obviously. But that's not that so far from .500.

Without this huge slump, people's perception of a .450 record would be very different.

Naw man, we saw these problems last year. This is just the manifestation of the problems we all knew existed but were ignored by management. Without Price to give us undeserved Ws, we are seeing just exactly what this assembled team and this coach can get out of it.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
Like it or not, fans will keep buying tickets and beer.

Poor ratings will hurt advertising revenue to a certain degree, but most of these deals are set years in advance.

The only thing a fan can really do (and I'm not actually condoning this) is embarrassing the franchise as we've seen with Oilers and Leafs: throwing jersey's/waffles on the ice. The only thing owners value as much as their money is their pride. Embarrassing them on national TV hits them where it hurts.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005

Okay but it took the leaf fans years (decades?) to demand change. They sorta went with being crap for a long time first.

The Spaniard

Nov 3, 2010
Madrid
Naw man, we saw these problems last year. This is just the manifestation of the problems we all knew existed but were ignored by management.

I agree.

But people were not so panicked.

The hate on Bergevin wasn't that intense.

It's the slump that inflated pessimism so much.

When Price got hurt I remember people on this board being confident saying things like "this team can be .500 with Condon, we will be fine". .500 seemed acceptable back then.

Btw, did Bergevin made a mistake by not getting help in the nets?

Maybe.

But I remember back then the majority here agreed with the decision.

Has you say, every body knew this wasn't a .600 team without Price.

So without the slump, I don't think this board would have reacted so harsh to a similar record.

Why go from "this team is one big scorer form being a contender" (from a survey here that was the consensus) to "this team totally sucks, fire everyone"?

The slump.

And the fact is: this slump is unsustainable.

So, let's relax...

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Planned a restaurant outing during tonight's game. Loving it. What team was I cheering for, again? ;)

The Spaniard

Nov 3, 2010
Madrid
Here is the poll: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2007027

January 4th, not October, 19 days ago!!!

31.32% on this board thinks they are contenders
37.91% think they are one big scorer from being contenders

69.23% of the people being positive.

People on this board were not that negative just a few weeks ago.

So sorry but, I don't believe it that the slump has nothing to do with the actual incredibly negative mindset.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Not panic.

Your theory is flawed it's not exactly regression to the mean it's more Monte Carlo fallacy. Playing more games will not necessarily improve the Habs record.

No amount of games played will undue the Therrien Habs' tendency to be crap. Crap is the Therrien Habs' median.

Imagine if the Manitoba Moose were to start playing in the NHL, they would probably also be crap.

Your theory assumes a closed system with no variables, and ignores influences which will override tendency toward a nice average mean and instead tend a team toward total crappiness.

Researchers sometimes call these influences the Therrien Factorâ„¢

The Spaniard

Nov 3, 2010
Madrid
My theory assumes that, without Price, this is a .500 team fighting for a playoffs spot (so .500 to .550 more or less).

Which I think is the consensus.

Now, when we say that, we are talking about having a number 1 goalie not has good has Price, but still a number 1.

Right now, we don't even have a number 1.

So is .450 surprising? Not really. We all knew it.

Right now without Price they are .394

Schedule was difficult, now getting easy.

If you think without a number 1 goalie this is a .450 team, makes sense to think they will have a good month and go from .394 to .450.

Obviously, if you think they are a .200 team, what I say makes no sense. But from the poll, 70% are not that negative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad