Post-Game Talk: West Side Story

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Shesterkin needs to play more not less. The only thing that matters is if he is in a groove come playoff time. Stop with the "he needs rest" stuff. He's played 5 games the last month.

100% - keep force feeding him and get this all out now in time for playoffs. People getting on him about not talking to the media? More power to him, I hope he's angry/seething. He's going to get out of this funk and him facing some adversity now is better than first round like he did for a chunk of the Pitts series.

These games happen. Bring on Thursday and Igor better be in the pipes. Heck I'd play him back to back this coming weekend too. He's a big boy, he can handle it.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
It's just the law of averages during a long season. They played .800 hockey for 2.5 months so things just aren't going to go their way sometimes. Some people understand this and take it in stride and some people panic when they lose and have to over analyze every loss. Boston just went through a period where they lost 4 of 5, all in regulation, OMG. They have now won 4 in a row, go figure. The Rangers are locked into 3rd place in the Metro at the worst. It's just practice for the next 25 games.

I don't get this notion that we're locked into 3rd. There's a quarter-plus season left. We're 4 points behind NJ. I'd love to finish second so we get home ice. I'll concede that we won't finish first in the division, how about that? I'll give you that much.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm also laughing at this chart but ironically.

It's fallacy to associate "heavy" with just penalties taken and hits given. Maybe the correct word to describe what needed to be done last night, as an in-game adjustment, isn't "heavy". Multiple posters have already talked about blocking the goalie's eyes. That's not "heavy," maybe it's "heady." Don't misconstrue this as a denial that Hellebuyck stoned us, which he did.

During the first intermission, Vally talked about taking away the goalie's eyes, commented that Kreider was in front, which was good, but peeled off too soon, which was not good. He talked about this.
So then we just didn't score enough and basically, you're associating everything to how well we shot. :teach2:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You know who's a heavy team? The Rangers.

View attachment 654138

None of the teams being described as "heavy" that we should supposedly be concerned about hit a lot or take a lot of penalties enough to move from the pack. Where's the evidence that they're heavy?

This is why the stats nerds laugh at "heavy" or "grit" or whatever we're calling it.

It's not so much that it doesn't matter, it's that the claims are almost always unfounded. All the teams named above are teams we got goalie'd against at least once. People have this really, really weird habit of associating perceived grit with shooting percentage. It tracks 1:1 almost every time it comes up.

We can have the discussion about shooting better, although we're just coming off scoring a million goals, so there's that, but the heaviness thing just isn't there.
created false parameters to fit your ideas.

Hits given and penalties taken is a cute take on a 'heavy game'.

Winnipeg is much bigger than us. We skated around them all game but it was predominantly to the outside. This team better learn to adapt when teams take away the middle of the ice/cross ice passes... thats not how you win the playoffs. This needs to be a wakeup call

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I didn't dispute that they got HDSCs, got into greasy areas. I totally agree that against a different goalie, more of those chances would have been goals. You go up against Big John Studd in goal and he's stopping what you normally shoot in, so maybe try something different instead of trying to the same thing 50 times that doesn't work, which is called HELL-ebuyck.
You're so right @will1066 He doesn't even have to move most times, covers everything low because he knows his upper body will cover most of the top half.
Especially with him, Oettinger, Vasilevski and a few others, you NEED to use the E-W game efficiently, seems the best way and sometimes the only way to score.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
So then we just didn't score enough and basically, you're associating everything to how well we shot. :teach2:

Yeah, that's part of it. I never said it was the whole reason. We've been shooting better lately yet we still have missed some wide open chances, so it isn't unfair to say that we're not world beaters when it comes to finishing.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
There’s nothing like pizza beer and hockey

I don't hold a candle to you guys on here when it comes to making my own pizza, I'm a rookie at best but can dress up some Costco pizza ok lol (never just have them as they come out of the box)

The mini ones I do in the air fryer, add more mozza, pep, smoked bacon, we like them cooked a bit more well done to brown the cheese (kinda like a McPizza on steriods)
mini.jpg

mini 2.jpg

This is a large square one, the brand is Motor City Pizza, I add more mozza, then bacon, pep, cut up some fresh red pepper. Tonight I'll mix it up but it's going to get some sautéed mushrooms on it for sure on this go-round.

large.jpg

By no means professional grade, but it's better than some pizza joints around here lol (that bar is pretty low though!)

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
hmmm, some ppl experience hair loss on it as well...
I mean it's fool proof...

he looks like he's playing drugged.. A second late on everything..

His acne cleared up...

Mental slowness, hair loss and fatigue known side effects for accutane...

Sherlock Holmes would be proud

• Haha
Reactions: romba and will1066

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I mean it's fool proof...

he looks like he's playing drugged.. A second late on everything..

His acne cleared up...

Mental slowness, hair loss and fatigue known side effects for accutane...

Sherlock Holmes would be proud

You think this also explained why Kakko hit a regression, Mr. Holmes?

• Haha
Reactions: romba

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
2nd time the club played the Winnipeg Giants and the results were unfortunately almost identical down to the goal scorers..

10/14 - The Jets beat the Rangers 4-1. Goal scorers were Scheifele 2x, Gagne and Connor
2/20- The Jets beat the Rangers 4-1. Goal scorers were Dubios, Scheifele 2x and Connor.

Going into this one, i was concerned with the size of the forwards on this WPG team. Felt the defense has been a little too lacksidasical. This time around the Rangers poured it on in terms of shots on net, but i also felt like a lot of them weren't high danger chances and when they did get those chances they put it right into Hellebuyck. I don't want to take anything away from the Jets Netminder, he played fantastic. I don't think it was the toughest 51 saves he's ever made.

Tough game for Igor. Weird seeing him struggle. He was so good for the team for a long time now, but he has been having a tough go lately. So many pieces are falling into place for the team but the biggest peice they need is broken right now. Vally thinks they need to play him through it.

Looking at the game summary and seeing only 21 shots on goal you would think the D performed well, but there were some pretty bad lapses. Connor exposed Trouba and Miller really bad on that play where he split the uprights. Blew by them like they were standing still. I feel like the d had been out of position at the wrong times. Too much stick work, not enough physical presence in front of the net. When the playoffs start the net crashers are out in full force. Players looking for those garbage goals. The crease seems like a free zone, andPOxxxxxxx when Igor is letting up rebounds that cant happen. The need to play tighter down low. Forwards also need to help out more.

Rangers struggled VS 3 teams in the Eastern Conference that are relevant in the playoffs. Two of them play a heavy game. Bruins and Jets. Is it a pattern where they don't matchup well or did they just have bad games.

VV the Bruins they are 0-2. Next game is 3/4 right after the trade deadline.
VS the Jets they are 0-2.
VV the Devils they are 1-3. Next game is 3/30.
Liked your post, but found it very interesting that I've come to realize that it's 3 teams that comprise nearly half of our 15 regulation losses, out of 31.

Pretty sure we don't have to concern ourselves with Winnipeg.
Bruins the same as there's a good chance they'll bite the dust vs Tampa or Toronto.

Which leaves us with the "untested", super PO inexperienced Devils. Still think they will fizzle out these last 20 or so, but what do I know?

Reactions: Lion Hound

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
I don't get this notion that we're locked into 3rd. There's a quarter-plus season left. We're 4 points behind NJ. I'd love to finish second so we get home ice. I'll concede that we won't finish first in the division, how about that? I'll give you that much.
We still have two games left against Carolina. I'm not even ready to concede that.

Reactions: will1066

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
created false parameters to fit your ideas.

Hits given and penalties taken is a cute take on a 'heavy game'.
Winnipeg is much bigger than us. We skated around them all game but it was predominantly to the outside. This team better learn to adapt when teams take away the middle of the ice/cross ice passes... thats not how you win the playoffs. This needs to be a wakeup call

I agree that hits and penalties are a poor way to define "heavy."

Do not agree with your assessment that they didn't get inside. They got inside PLENTY yesterday. Kreider had 4 or 5 opportunities from the hashes in, Chytil had one, Tarasenko had 2, Motte even had one early in the 3rd before the Barron crosscheck. The lone goal scored was from in tight. Trocheck almost scored an all timer from the paint in the 1st before Demelo's ass luckily got in the way. If you're worried about a team's ability to get inside, this is not the game to mark as a reason why. Most of their chances came from the inside. Their goalie was phenomenal for 99% of the game and was lucky for the 1% where he wasn't.

Peep the heat maps.

All situations

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 1.57.08 PM.png

5v5

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 1.56.57 PM.png

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Do not agree with your assessment that they didn't get inside. They got inside PLENTY yesterday. Kreider had 4 or 5 opportunities from the hashes in, Chytil had one, Tarasenko had 2, Motte even had one early in the 3rd before the Barron crosscheck. The lone goal scored was from in tight. Trocheck almost scored an all timer from the paint in the 1st before Demelo's ass luckily got in the way. If you're worried about a team's ability to get inside, this is not the game to mark as a reason why. Most of their chances came from the inside. Their goalie was phenomenal for 99% of the game and was lucky for the 1% where he wasn't.

Peep the heat maps.

All situations

View attachment 654190

5v5

View attachment 654191
Maybe should have elaborated.. how many screened shots? deflections? Helleybuck saw everything, How WPG scored their 1st goal is what I wanted. We go in spurts where we have no traffic in the middle for shots from the point. Simple rudimentary hockey. The did not adjust. You could just tip your hat and move on but what happens when we face Vasi in the playoffs? When these big guys are on, you need to alter the strategy

There were breakdowns and we had chances in tight but we didn't get the puck by the goalie. You do not want to get in close against a guy that big he will swallow you up, as he did. You would need perfect shots. Even on the Trocheck goal, the guy literally almost got across to make the save.

on a side tangent, wtf happened to Kreider and his deflections? How do you go from elite touches to where the league is mimicing you to nothing? He has 1 deflection goal? maybe?

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Peep the heat maps.

All situations

View attachment 654190

5v5

View attachment 654191
More interesting what happened with Jet's blue between 5x5 and all situations. Their net mouth pressure was mostly during PP. Thanks Sam

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

Peep the heat maps.

All situations

View attachment 654190

5v5

View attachment 654191

Traffic in front is really what we're trying to say. No doubt we generated a ton of red zone chances off the rush, off broken plays (the Kreider chance all alone) and off the cycle. They were 1 on 1 plays against a big goalie who's good. Even had 2 on 1s and didn't score. And I think there was a 2 on 1 where Morrissey or Connor (?) got back and broke it up.

On the Motte play before he got cross checked, he literally did not know what to do. Skated towards Goodrow and almost set a pick for him when he wanted to sauce it across lol

Last edited:

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Not much to say. Hellebuyck dominated us and Igor was leaky. No alarm bells, but can we PLEASE try Kravtsov over Leschyshyn? He's honestly the most replaceable player this team has ever had. Average as they come.

Anyway, on to Thursday. Waive Leschyshyn tomorrow.

It's interesting how coaches on this team always get to coach their sons. AV coached Tanner, Quinn got to coach Brett, and now Gerard gets to coach Jake. Very family friendly atmosphere behind the bench in NY.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
We just played a heavier club in Calgary and destroyed them a few weeks ago. They can play with anybody. Last night they lost because of goaltending and nothing else. Simple as that.
LOL...we certainly did not destroy Calgary in either game . Also...we had Cuylee and Blais and Gauthier in the only game we won between the 2 games . Without them we now have lost 2 games . Anyways....we only scored one goal.....so I guess this club needs Shesty to steal a win every time against heavy clubs . We're too soft .....we are fine most nights......but we might be chopped liver against the Bruins . You can't have 12 forwards that won't instigate a scrap ......Miller looked like a dummy backing down when he was challenged ......how long would it have taken for Bruin forward to jump in if that had happened to a young guy on their club ......different mentality . Hockey is a tough emotional sport and you have to be ready to play that way come the playoffs .

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Peep the heat maps.

All situations

View attachment 654190

5v5

View attachment 654191

I literally came here to post that I thought we didn't do a good job in creating solid scoring chances and that the Winnipeg defense did a great job.

I could not have been more wrong. Wow.

Reactions: Machinehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad