Post-Game Talk: West Side Story

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
created false parameters to fit your ideas.

Hits given and penalties taken is a cute take on a 'heavy game'.

Winnipeg is much bigger than us. We skated around them all game but it was predominantly to the outside. This team better learn to adapt when teams take away the middle of the ice/cross ice passes... thats not how you win the playoffs. This needs to be a wakeup call
They're not much bigger than us.

The teams are basically the same size. Differences are marginal. This shouldn't fail the "eye test." The Rangers have a huge forward group on paper.

I don't like that the stats people are held to standards such as "I don't like your parameters." Well, sorry? "Heavy" is not an objective thing to measure.

What does it mean? They don't hit more than us. They're not bigger than us. They don't shoot more than we do so there's no indication they have the puck more. Is it getting to the middle of the ice or the dirty areas? If they did that better than we did, they would score more than we do. Vally has developed an entire model on the middle of the ice and has repeatedly said the Rangers are one of the best at it, but that doesn't count either because analytics bad.

It's such a ridiculous standard. Meanwhile if you're not an analytics guy, you can just say anything, even if it's patently false, like the above example.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Late to the party, but my takeaways from last night.

-Vally nailed it re: Shesterkin. Two fluke/lucky goals, but played well in the first. Came off his angles later in the game and the last 2 goals were avoidable.
-Panarin had a bad game last night. Too many forced passes again. Tarasenko and Trocheck were the best forwards last night, though. Keep that line together.
-Still don't love Vesey with 20 and 93. I don't have a proposal to fix this unless Krav magically gets in the lineup with these two and has discovered offense, or they make another trade. The comment his pass was too slow on the 2-on-1 in the postgame was literally exactly 40 minutes after I said the same thing to my wife in real time. Vesey is very good for what he is, but he will never capitalize on the chances the other attributes help him create. Ideally there'd be another winger on that line.
-Fox had a couple chances to rip it from 10-20 feet out last night and kept taking the puck low. He's got to be more decisive in shooting as he was earlier in the year.
-Hellebuyck is a big goalie who relies mostly on positioning and accurate puck tracking. Besides the majority of shots being from bad/predictable angles or low percentage scoring areas which has already been beaten to death by Vally and earlier posters in the thread, I will say he's someone who you can beat if you can make him move - and not just talking about post to post. The Rangers took entirely too many shots at the lower and middle thirds of the net last night. If Kreider roofs that centering pass far side, it's a goal (instead of a great glove save) - granted, tough to do snapping off a pass, but worth noting. If Laf goes top dog blocker side on his 3rd period scoring chance, that's in (he looked skyward after he shot it because he knew he missed his target). There were several other similar plays like that. If Kreider stays at the side of the net in the second instead of continuing across the crease to the middle, he deflects the puck in weak side instead of into Hellebuyck's pad. Make the big goalie move, whether it's lifting his glove or blocker up to rob top dog, or whether it's going fully across the netmouth on a centering pass vs. to the middle.
-The powerplay was still too committed to the top of the circle cross-ice pass last night. The Jets were conceding cross-ice passes down low all night where all that would've been needed is enough grit to battle for loose pucks in the slot and at the weak side. The Rangers didn't try those nearly enough. Most wouldn't work, but on the rare ones that do, you probably get multiple goals.
-Update on Jake Leschyshyn. Still useless. Probably the most useful thing he did last night was get pushed into Hellebuyck and get his face sat on. Tells you how bad this guy is. AHL NOW!
-For Kakko's next contract, I'd like to see the Rangers build in a clause that says he gets $1,000 every time he one-times the puck from the right circle on the PP. Had at least 3 chances to do it last night and didn't send it. Overall, that unit is decent when they get in the zone, but the forward group has to be more willing to cut to the middle and shoot, or shoot off the pass. Too much "cycle-cycle-cycle-cycle-cycle-cycle-cycle-cycle-cycle-cycle-cycle-point shot from the D" with that unit still. Need to improve their shot attempts/60 on the man advantage.
-First unit was better when they tried looks to Kreider at the net mouth. When they fell into top-of-the-circle crossice pass, they struggled. They need to recognize when a team is not giving them that and try something different earlier in the game.
-Don't have too many complaints about the officiating last night other than the non-call where Goodrow was interfered with. But the way the PP was and the final score, it wouldn'tve mattered.

I saw that review & it looks awesome...just a bit out of my way at the moment living in central Connecticut.

I'm not a pepperoni guy however. I stick with the cheese....the only thing I change up is the style...sicilian, grandma, magherita, or standard regular slices. Toppings do nothing for me.
Generally agree with this. It's the measuring stick for pizza. If you can't make a decent cheese slice, I don't really care what else you can make. Gotta try the basics first and be satisfied, then branch out from there.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Teams are going to get their looks, especially good teams. It's the NHL. Winnipeg had 21 SOG and a few were indeed high quality and they scored on a high % of them. We did not and we had more of them. We can pick apart every loss. Players do make mistakes against other professional players that are getting paid too. The D does have some real brain farts some nights. Some of those errors the last few games may be fatigue with the travel and playing 4 games in 6 nights. The team just played .800 hockey over the last 2.5 months and didn't lose a game in regulation for a month. They lost. Big deal. They will also lose again. Not worried.
I thought...well I know ....that our D tried to do too much last night and it came back and bit them in the ass . We also have to slow these guys down when they attack our blueline.....the floaters we have up front have to start moving their legs and do a bit better job of taking that 3rd guy on the rush....

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Yes, this team is absolutely good enough to contend for a Cup. Come on. **** the Devils already. Florida was a nice regular season video game offense too. What did it get them? They barely squeaked past Washington and that was because Washington blew that series. Rangers don't blow game three against Tampa and they are probably in the Finals. An experienced championship group showed them the door in Tampa. Seriously, the fans that sit there and don't think this team is good enough to contend for the Cup are nuts.
Said this re: 2012 and it bears repeating here as well. The biggest thing that will help them in the playoffs is they need to finish off the mediocre and above average but not elite teams. None of this 7 games to beat everyone crap this franchise has become notorious for.

I'd really be curious what the Tampa series would've looked like if the Rangers closed out Carolina and Pittsburgh in 5 each and had a chance to rest.

Reactions: leetch99

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I want you and duhmetrE to join me as we go to Machinehead, puckluck and Uninstaaled's turf and challenge them 3 on 3... not hockey, but a West Side Story-styled pretend fight that's more a dance, with metal-looking but actually plastic knives.
This wouldn't be fair. You and I are the only ones who have a concept of working.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I want you and duhmetreE to join me as we go to Machinehead, puckluck and Uninstaaled's turf and challenge them 3 on 3... not hockey, but a West Side Story-styled pretend fight that's more a dance, with metal-looking but actually plastic knives.

jason-momoa-folding-chair.gif

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I'm also laughing at this chart but ironically.

It's fallacy to associate "heavy" with just penalties taken and hits given. Maybe the correct word to describe what needed to be done last night, as an in-game adjustment, isn't "heavy". Multiple posters have already talked about blocking the goalie's eyes. That's not "heavy," maybe it's "heady." Don't misconstrue this as a denial that Hellebuyck stoned us, which he did.

During the first intermission, Vally talked about taking away the goalie's eyes, commented that Kreider was in front, which was good, but peeled off too soon, which was not good. He talked about this.
I'm kind of waiting to see the playoff charts when it is over .

Reactions: will1066

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Liked your post, but found it very interesting that I've come to realize that it's 3 teams that comprise nearly half of our 15 regulation losses, out of 31.

Pretty sure we don't have to concern ourselves with Winnipeg.
Bruins the same as there's a good chance they'll bite the dust vs Tampa or Toronto.

Which leaves us with the "untested", super PO inexperienced Devils. Still think they will fizzle out these last 20 or so, but what do I know?
Geesh....pretty hard to count out the Bruins that easy . Leafs have no goalies...if any team is destined to fall fast it is them and by them going in 5 games to TB....that makes TB that much tougher against the B's .....whcih would be a great series . We'll hopefully stay healthy and pray that Shesty plays well.....and we should get into the semis....but....anything can happen .

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
They're not much bigger than us.

The teams are basically the same size. Differences are marginal. This shouldn't fail the "eye test." The Rangers have a huge forward group on paper.

I don't like that the stats people are held to standards such as "I don't like your parameters." Well, sorry? "Heavy" is not an objective thing to measure.

What does it mean? They don't hit more than us. They're not bigger than us. They don't shoot more than we do so there's no indication they have the puck more. Is it getting to the middle of the ice or the dirty areas? If they did that better than we did, they would score more than we do. Vally has developed an entire model on the middle of the ice and has repeatedly said the Rangers are one of the best at it, but that doesn't count either because analytics bad.

It's such a ridiculous standard. Meanwhile if you're not an analytics guy, you can just say anything, even if it's patently false, like the above example.
They are not the same size and you're using an article from October. We lost a lot of size since then.

Their team is bigger. It doesn't mean we're small it just means their team is bigger.

I want you and duhmetreE to join me as we go to Machinehead, puckluck and Uninstaaled's turf and challenge them 3 on 3... not hockey, but a West Side Story-styled pretend fight that's more a dance, with metal-looking but actually plastic knives.
iu

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They are not the same size and you're using an article from October. We lost a lot of size since then.

Their team is bigger. It doesn't mean we're small it just means their team is bigger.

iu

Winnipeg as they stand right now

6'2" 202 on average

NYR as they stand right now

6'2" 199 on average.

Remember this is including Kravtsov who isn't playing and weighs like 3 pounds. If they swapped Krav for Bjugstad they'd be one of the tallest and heaviest teams in the league.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

6'2" 202 on average

6'2" 199 on average.

Remember this is including Kravtsov who isn't playing and weighs like 3 pounds. If they swapped Krav for Bjugstad they'd be one of the tallest and heaviest teams in the league.
that also include Harpur

They are bigger than us. Their forwards are bigger, they even did a skit on it during the broadcast.

We have Kreider and a decent size group. Our D is big with Trouba, KAM, Schneider, Mikkola

Either way I don't know how I got sucked into this. We skated around them all night. I dont care about the size discrepancy unless we're getting bullied. I care that we didn't simplify the game to get traffic and shots from the point.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
LOL...we certainly did not destroy Calgary in either game . Also...we had Cuylee and Blais and Gauthier in the only game we won between the 2 games . Without them we now have lost 2 games . Anyways....we only scored one goal.....so I guess this club needs Shesty to steal a win every time against heavy clubs . We're too soft .....we are fine most nights......but we might be chopped liver against the Bruins . You can't have 12 forwards that won't instigate a scrap ......Miller looked like a dummy backing down when he was challenged ......how long would it have taken for Bruin forward to jump in if that had happened to a young guy on their club ......different mentality . Hockey is a tough emotional sport and you have to be ready to play that way come the playoffs .

Dude did you WATCH the first game?

Three of their guys got smoked including the all timer Trouba threw on Kadri. They got smoked in that game and honestly its a blow out win if Halak stops 2 softies and the league defines what a kicking motion is.

I don't know why some people want to act like this is a soft team that can't handle "heavy" hockey. They give WAY more than they take.

Bruins aren't heavy either. They're softer than we are in their top 9 and certainly are in their D.

Its not like they struggled to withstand Winnipeg's "heavy" assault yesterday either. They fired 30 more shots on goal and doubled them up on quality chances.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
For fun, I went to see how the Devils tagged Hellebuyck for 3 the day before. First goal was a near-identical goalmouth lateral pass like Tarasenko's. Second goal, Hellebuyck got beat because of a screen (by his own teammate) on a snap shot. Third goal, he was beat on a 1 on 1 chance on a feed that came from behind the net.

The High Danger Shot statistics clearly fail to account for the Walrus Factor Against relative to shot position. Stationary Shot A against Immovable Gigantic Walrus Tracking the Puck is not the same as Shot A *from the exact same point* against Goalie Desperately Lunging EW to cover the Net.

How many so called High Danger Chances have the Rangers had in the two games against the Jets and how many of those have *actually* been high danger chances, as opposed to just counting as HD chances because they were taken from a point on the ice counted as high danger?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

6'2" 202 on average

6'2" 199 on average.

But what's the girth like on their legs?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Main culprits are our two toughest defensemen.

You don't handle forechecks by being "big enough." You handle forechecks with speed, passing, and elusiveness.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Because you've been corrected with facts and you think you're having an opinion-based argument.
Corrected with facts that Winnipeg is bigger? They are literally bigger. You must be confusing me with someone else.

It’s also funny coming from the guy who made a chart with penalties and hits? Lol

Your arrogance on things you know little about is impressive

Last edited:
  • Love

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: