We're at the 1/4 mark...

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Pittsburgh has lost 4 of their last 5! Are they suddenly an awful, declining team?

What the **** is wrong with some of you people? This team has been playing well, and has outplayed its opponent in several of its last losses.

In all likelihood, simple regression to the mean in terms of both power play and 5v5 shooting % will have this team streaking again before long.

The offense sucks. The PP sucks.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The worst thing that can happen is what will likely happen this season: the Canucks become a middling team and barely miss the playoffs. At the end of the year they end up with a so-so draft pick that doesn't really change anything.

Our core is getting older and less effective but they are here for the long run because they all have NTC's. It's pretty clear that the Canucks are not contenders with this core and may not even be a playoff team any more. Gillis needs to make a big trade but I really don't believe he has it in him. His style seems to be staying the course and trying to nurture what he has even when it no longer works.

ferroid

Mar 22, 2010
The offense sucks. The PP sucks.

The penguins have scored only 1 goal per game in 4 of their past 5 games.

Does their offence "suck"?

Edit: I mean, seriously, I've been following this team seriously for 5 years, and every single year people are crying that the sky is falling during every cold stretch that inevitably occurs throughout an 82 game season.

Do I think the Canucks are as good as their Presidents Trophy winning teams? Probably not. However, it really isn't all that far removed.

This team will decline, but their drop out of playoff contention will likely occur after the retirement of the Sedins (unless we hit a home run with a few of our prospects developing into bonafide first liners).

Now, when the Canucks have been frequently outplaying the opposition in their losses, and are victims of unsustainably low shooting percentages, is not the time to panic.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They haven't really had a top 6 forward through the draft since Kesler, excluding hodgson. The best of the bunch are grabner and raymond. One got traded and waived, the other never consistently produced.

Haven't drafted a top 4 dman since Edler.

Terrible drafting is going to drive this team into a long rebuild at some point. :(

They may have in Corrado. And they may have signed one in Tanev. Does it really matter if Tanev was acquired at the draft table or via free agency? I don't think it does.

Top 6 forwards...as I said the first few drafts weren't spectacular to be sure. Though Kassian seems to be a top 6 in the making...to me anyways (yes not drafted but acquired for a guy who was....a prospect nonetheless). I think we will see Horvat and Shinkaruk have a really good shot at being top 6 forwards as well. The beyond first round picks along with Jensen though haven't developed.

But I do think people really rush things. Even with top 6 type potential, guys drafted by Gillis likely wouldn't be top 6 players yet even if on that trajectory. Heck while he puts up points it can still very much be argued Hodgson isn't a top 6 player on any good team. And that was the first draft pick from Gillis and one who showed (and still shows) promise.

So IMO, the problems in this department fall back to the Nonis regime because it is those guys the team should be relying on and simply put Nonis provided the organization with nothing. It may come to pass that Gillis is in the same boat, but I have far higher hopes for Gaunce, Horvat, Corrado and Shinkaruk than I do White, Raymond and Ellington.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

Edit: I mean, seriously, I've been following this team seriously for 5 years, and every single year people are crying that the sky is falling during every cold stretch that inevitably occurs throughout an 82 game season.

Do I think the Canucks are as good as their Presidents Trophy winning teams? Probably not. However, it really isn't all that far removed.

This team will decline, but their drop out of playoff contention will likely occur after the retirement of the Sedins (unless we hit a home run with a few of our prospects developing into bonafide first liners).

Now, when the Canucks have been frequently outplaying the opposition in their losses, and are victims of unsustainably low shooting percentages, is not the time to panic.

I don't think many people care about the team pulling themselves out of this slump. People care about if this team can contend for a Cup. I'm of the opinion that even if the team gets back on track, they still aren't a contender. They need significant improvements to the roster.

I think we're way past the point where pulling out of a slump is the most important thing. There's a bigger picture here.

ferroid

Mar 22, 2010
I don't think many people care about the team pulling themselves out of this slump. People care about if this team can contend for a Cup. I'm of the opinion that even if the team gets back on track, they still aren't a contender. They need significant improvements to the roster.

I think we're way past the point where pulling out of a slump is the most important thing. There's a bigger picture here.

I don't know, I think we're a solid bottom six centre and perhaps one more top six forward away from being able to hang with any team in the west. Will those acquisitions be made? Maybe, maybe not, but what your (and others) viewpoints seem to suggest is that we should accept our window is closed, blow the whole thing up, tank for a couple years in order to hopefully become as competitive a team as we are now in about 5 years.

Personally, I'd rather massage a competitive team now that's missing a couple pieces than hope that the vagaries of the draft rebuild us into an effective contender.

Once the sedins retire, sure, engage in a retool, try to accumulate a few high draft picks. But now? I don't see the upside as being worth the risk. We've been spoiled by being the cream of the crop through the last few years, and there's nothing about being a 3-6 team in the west that demands a complete blow up.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Does 4 games really constitute a slump

To quote a certain someone, i liked the "Process" through most of these 4 games.

Not really a d-zone problem, not much of a problem in breakouts or getting the puck out of your own zone. Cycle game in the offensive zone looks alright.
Isn't it positioning without the puck in the offensive zone that's basically the only problem.
And that comes down to hockey IQ.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
The lack of points gained in this last stretch is concerning in the very tough Pacific division. The team has played quite well through this slump though, so I'd be more concerned if we were genuinely sucking. The Canucks scoring woes combined with our high volume of shots is kind of comedic. They were outshooting Dallas 33-13 at the end of the 2nd period. I think the goals will come but this will likely be an issue again sooner or later if we don't add some scoring.

I kind of wonder if we could get more scoring from our forwards if we had someone dynamic on the back end. Most of our D are decently mobile but not elite when it comes to skating and puck handling. I think that's what makes a defense man dangerous at the point more than their shot. A top puck mover would compliment the Sedins and company nicely.

earl grey

all the best posts
Apr 21, 2013
They are right where they should be - completely out of the playoff picture. Brad *** Richardson was the only answer Gillis had going forward. Absurd.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
They are right where they should be - completely out of the playoff picture. Brad *** Richardson was the only answer Gillis had going forward. Absurd.
Give it a break. It's only been 1/4 through the season and the team's playing fine. They've just been hilariously unlucky these past few games.

Gillis got Richardson, Santorelli and Stanton, all three of which have been big parts of this team.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
I think we're in a better position than we were to start the season. I had question marks about the bottom 6 and the 6th defenseman.

Stanton has been a great fit for the #6, and having Corrado as our #7 is great. Potential to be the best defense, one through six, that we've ever had, imo.

Richardson has been as expected. Great 4th line center, serviceable-to-good 3rd liner.

Santorelli has been great. I don't expect the scoring to continue, but if he can be a consistent two way player, he's a huge boost to this team.

The best part about these guys is that they are dirt cheap.

A bit of a disappointment in that Booth has been bad, and Jensen hasn't been able to produce in the AHL. Would be nice if one of those two picked it up.

Gillis has a lot of opportunity to add to the top-6, which is our clear weakness right now. I'd like for the Sedins to have a true top line winger, and still have Kesler (or atleast a good second line) behind them.

Tortorella has been even better than I'd hoped.

All in all, I'm pretty positive about this team. Still some obvious holes, but far fewer than we seemed to have coming into this year. I hope Schroeder can get healthy and provide some pop from the 3C position, and that we pick up a sniper/one shot scorer for the top six.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

No we shouldn't panic but concern is a word I would use. secondary scoring seems to be an issue now and for a while. In the last 48 GP the Canucks have scored 1 or fewer in 18 of them, that's a problem.

I really like our draft last year, and the Sedins have halted their downward trend but who else is emerging on this team to help?

Not Kassin, not burrows and let's all agree that Booth isn't the answer here either.

The Canucks almost missed the playoffs last year and are danger of doing so this year, if that happens the prospects better mature quickly or changes should be made to the core (too late IMO as most have lost their peak trade value)

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Pittsburgh has lost 4 of their last 5! Are they suddenly an awful, declining team?

What the **** is wrong with some of you people? This team has been playing well, and has outplayed its opponent in several of its last losses.

In all likelihood, simple regression to the mean in terms of both power play and 5v5 shooting % will have this team streaking again before long.

No, because they can actually score and play defense.

What exactly is the expected mean under tortorellas system? Rangers weren't exactly lighting it up last year, despite decent shot totals.

The Canucks were 19th in goals for last year. They look no better offensively this year.

They may well miss the playoffs because of a lack of scoring, and thanks to the wonderful drafting they have had over the past... forever they are going to have a nice long rebuild soon.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
The worst thing that can happen is what will likely happen this season: the Canucks become a middling team and barely miss the playoffs. At the end of the year they end up with a so-so draft pick that doesn't really change anything.

Our core is getting older and less effective but they are here for the long run because they all have NTC's. It's pretty clear that the Canucks are not contenders with this core and may not even be a playoff team any more. Gillis needs to make a big trade but I really don't believe he has it in him. His style seems to be staying the course and trying to nurture what he has even when it no longer works.

In that case Gillis doesn't need to make a big trade, he needs to strip the team before they end up as Calgary.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
They may have in Corrado. And they may have signed one in Tanev. Does it really matter if Tanev was acquired at the draft table or via free agency? I don't think it does.

Top 6 forwards...as I said the first few drafts weren't spectacular to be sure. Though Kassian seems to be a top 6 in the making...to me anyways (yes not drafted but acquired for a guy who was....a prospect nonetheless). I think we will see Horvat and Shinkaruk have a really good shot at being top 6 forwards as well. The beyond first round picks along with Jensen though haven't developed.

But I do think people really rush things. Even with top 6 type potential, guys drafted by Gillis likely wouldn't be top 6 players yet even if on that trajectory. Heck while he puts up points it can still very much be argued Hodgson isn't a top 6 player on any good team. And that was the first draft pick from Gillis and one who showed (and still shows) promise.

So IMO, the problems in this department fall back to the Nonis regime because it is those guys the team should be relying on and simply put Nonis provided the organization with nothing. It may come to pass that Gillis is in the same boat, but I have far higher hopes for Gaunce, Horvat, Corrado and Shinkaruk than I do White, Raymond and Ellington.
Yes, in that grabbing the occasional decent prospect out of free agency is no substitute for a regular influx of strong prospects through the draft. Tanev is the type of player who you should be thrilled to get, but he should be in addition to the guys you draft. Not a substitute for a complete inability to find NHL level talent without a top 10 pick.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
In that case Gillis doesn't need to make a big trade, he needs to strip the team before they end up as Calgary.

Strip the team? :laugh:

Can't trade the following:

Sedin
Sedin
Kesler
Burrows
Higgins… :laugh:
Hansen
Edler
Bieksa
Garrison
Hamhuis
Luongo

This is the same team we'll be watching for years, a group that hasn't been good enough the last two years and will only be improved by rookies.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
The two seasons prior to this was the last of their window and they squandered it due to lack of effort, terrible coaching and mentally weak goaltending. This year we are trying as hard as we can but its a bit too late, we are not as good anymore. Plus the refs are out to get us.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
The two seasons prior to this was the last of their window and they squandered it due to lack of effort, terrible coaching and mentally weak goaltending. This year we are trying as hard as we can but its a bit too late, we are not as good anymore. Plus the refs are out to get us.

Yup, they sure made it impossible to score on any of the other 40+ shots in the game. Damn refs.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Does 4 games really constitute a slump

To quote a certain someone, i liked the "Process" through most of these 4 games.

Not really a d-zone problem, not much of a problem in breakouts or getting the puck out of your own zone. Cycle game in the offensive zone looks alright.
Isn't it positioning without the puck in the offensive zone that's basically the only problem.
And that comes down to hockey IQ.

I think that's a fair point. There was a 2-on-1 rush with Henrik and Kesler that didn't result in a goal but I thought Hank could've been in better position to get a potential rebound had he not kept going and gone past the net. Even on the subsequent play where Lehtonen was down and out, he could've been in great position for a feed from Kesler from behind the net had he camped out in the crease.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Give it a break. It's only been 1/4 through the season and the team's playing fine. They've just been hilariously unlucky these past few games.

Gillis got Richardson, Santorelli and Stanton, all three of which have been big parts of this team.

Yeah, this. They're simply not going to keep shooting at 1.9% at ES like they have been over the past 4 games.

Hal 9000*

We're officially in 9th, however Dallas is only 1 point back with 2games in hand - so lets say 10th. If Nashville (with 2 games in hand) puts together a couple wins, we'll soon find the Canucks in 11th place…Ahead of only Cal, Edm and Winn.

All those who say the team is playing well, bad bounces etc. should wake up.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
We're officially in 9th, however Dallas is only 1 point back with 2games in hand - so lets say 10th. If Nashville (with 2 games in hand) puts together a couple wins, we'll soon find the Canucks in 11th place…Ahead of only Cal, Edm and Winn.

All those who say the team is playing well, bad bounces etc. should wake up.

From this statement I'm assuming you haven't been watching the games...

Hal 9000*

From this statement I'm assuming you haven't been watching the games...

Of course I'm seeing the games.
What I'm seeing is the team taking a lot of shots - from the outside, shooting for rebounds - with no one in front, a PP that can't even get the puck to their net and poor defensive coverage (due probably to the d-men having to try to create offence….and giveaways? Hamhuis, that means you!

I see the games, and against Dallas, for all the shots we had, they had the better scoring chances…and went to the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad