We're at the 1/4 mark...

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Of course I'm seeing the games.
What I'm seeing is the team taking a lot of shots - from the outside, shooting for rebounds - with no one in front, a PP that can't even get the puck to their net and poor defensive coverage (due probably to the d-men having to try to create offence….and giveaways? Hamhuis, that means you!

I see the games, and against Dallas, for all the shots we had, they had the better scoring chances…and went to the net.

They've dominated teams. How is that not playing well?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I see the games, and against Dallas, for all the shots we had, they had the better scoring chances…and went to the net.

The only reason their scoring chances looked more dangerous is because they went in the net. The Canucks doubled them 22-11 in actual scoring chances.

Hal 9000*

So, the consensus around here is simply…"puck luck"? Really?

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Oteam taking a lot of shots - from the outside, shooting for rebounds - with no one in front

why would there be anybody in front of the net. they're not superheros, they're not "THE FLASH"

when the whole offensive zone pressure is predicated on three forwards cycling the puck on the outside. Then one forward slides out of the cycle for a shot at the net.
The two other forwards are still on the side boards.

It's not like the forward with the puck can slow down time and wait for his compadre (forwards) to take their position in front of the net to be a screen/ play the Dave Andreychuk rebound role

That's exactly how the game looks like when you work hard, but just aren't mentally skilled in the hockey IQ department.

Let me know when you get the hockey IQ serum, I want some of that too

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
So, the consensus around here is simply…"puck luck"? Really?

That will sort itself out and the team will start stringing wins together.

They also need Luongo to be better. He needs to match the goalie at the other end more regularly and stop letting the opposition get out to an early lead on their 1st or 2nd shot of the game.

When these 2 things start happening, the Canucks are a playoff team. If they want to have a serious shot at getting out of the West, they need more skill and finish up front and have to find a way to fix the PP.

The Pacific division will hold the team back from putting up an impressive regular season record but if they do manage to make the playoffs, they will be better for it. The tough competition and dogfight down the stretch should have the team ready to go when it matters most - something that didn't happen for the last couple years as they sleepwalked through a lot of poor clubs to finish the season.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Realistically it's going to be a struggle to make the playoffs. It's going to come down to the wire and if you think this team is def a playoff team you're fooling yourself.

It's only 20 games in and already "3" points out... But really with games at hand were more like 6 points out.
6 points out.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
unless mike gillis can miraciously pull a couple of trades to help the offense they they can make the playofs. tell some players to waive that ntc **** and. other than that nucks still a 1 line team. shut sedins down=goodnight irene.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
So where'd you get that crystal ball of yours from?

Walmart, great prices.

Really though vancouver doesn't play in the east. It's not going to be easy to just cruise into the #3 seed.
Were off to a 'good' start , and already behind the pack.
And there's a couple teams right behind who are going to make it close.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Walmart, great prices.

Really though vancouver doesn't play in the east. It's not going to be easy to just cruise into the #3 seed.
Were off to a 'good' start , and already behind the pack.
And there's a couple teams right behind who are going to make it close.

I guess in a world where the Minnesota Wild can be atop the Western Conference 20-ish games in and then proceed to fall off the map completely and miss the playoffs, that sort of "reality" being talked about here just doesn't do a whole lot for me.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I don't see the issue with someone saying we're not "definitely" a playoff team. There are five good teams in our division and two more (plus another couple solid teams) in the Central.

This team can't sleepwalk its way to a high playoff seed anymore, and while I personally believe they are going to make it and will be in a better position than they are currently before too much longer, it's absolutely correct to say they are not any kind of lock and a serious dropoff in effort or a bad run of injuries could really make it tough to get in.

edit: of course, there are some yahoos in here intentionally misrepresenting the "results haven't reflected the team's level of play" argument in order to make it more convenient to dispute, that's not helping discussion either..

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
That will sort itself out and the team will start stringing wins together.

They also need Luongo to be better. He needs to match the goalie at the other end more regularly and stop letting the opposition get out to an early lead on their 1st or 2nd shot of the game.

When these 2 things start happening, the Canucks are a playoff team. If they want to have a serious shot at getting out of the West, they need more skill and finish up front and have to find a way to fix the PP.

The Pacific division will hold the team back from putting up an impressive regular season record but if they do manage to make the playoffs, they will be better for it. The tough competition and dogfight down the stretch should have the team ready to go when it matters most - something that didn't happen for the last couple years as they sleepwalked through a lot of poor clubs to finish the season.
Maybe the 10 or so useless forwards on the team need to wake up and get a few goals.

Luongo is not the problem, unless you are one of those people who thinks they should only allow 1.5 goals per game.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Truly, if that was the case and other teams' "puck luck" would balance out, our shoot-out record wouldn't be so putrid...

Really?

You're disputing the claim that over a large sample size elements like "luck" become less of a factor by pointing to shootouts?

The team has taken 12 shootout attempts (and Roberto Luongo has faced 12) over three different shootouts. The sample is miniscule and anyone drawing sweeping conclusions from it should be swatted with a rolled up newspaper.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Really?

You're disputing the claim that over a large sample size elements like "luck" become less of a factor by pointing to shootouts?

The team has taken 12 shootout attempts (and Roberto Luongo has faced 12) over three different shootouts. The sample is miniscule and anyone drawing sweeping conclusions from it should be swatted with a rolled up newspaper.
The team's record in the shoot out, not just this year, Einstein, is supplementary evidence that the offence consists of a high degree of passers and second-line at best shooters. Correlate other teams' shoot out records - which may fluctuate from year to year, but does show which teams are more efficient shooting wise.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
The team's record in the shoot out, not just this year, Einstein, is supplementary evidence that the offence consists of a high degree of passers and second-line at best shooters. Correlate other teams' shoot out records - which may fluctuate from year to year, but does show which teams are more efficient shooting wise.

Well I was being fatuous, but still shootouts occur far less often than actual gameplay and sample size issues (ie. cases where a team has been lucky to win more often than the results would suggest) will be far likelier.

I decided to go take a look at a larger sample of shootout stats and you can't even get a decent sample without using a timeframe so large that it becomes difficult to draw conclusions about "this team" - take enough seasons into account and the roster turnover makes the value of conclusions about this or that team pretty questionable.

Over the 2011-12 and 2013 seasons the Canucks were actually smack dab in the middle of the road on shootouts, winning 13 and losing 13.

Furthermore their shooting percentage (18th) wasn't as much of a problem as their save percentage (22nd) which doesn't really support your argument at all. (Nevermind the fact that looking at the top career shooting percentages among players with 10 attempts or more includes some goal scorers but lots of others who aren't talented finishers like Frans Nielsen or David Desharnais or Jussi Jokinen or Mike Santorelli.)

Ironically, the Canucks have a far less "putrid" shootout record than either their shooting percentage or their save percentage would seem to result in.. probably due to an issue with the sample size. :)

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Luongo is not the problem, unless you are one of those people who thinks they should only allow 1.5 goals per game.

I don't think he's a problem at all, he's good enough to get to the SCF and Olympic gold ( regardless of the allstar defense) he's a good enough goalie.
I do wonder if there's a realistic benefit to buyout this summer while it's an option.
As Anaheim has proven over and over there are great cheap goalies out there to be found.

Cool Hand Goof*

like our penalty killing

liking torts style of play but the scoring is an issue and i feel we need an extra piece

and luongo isnt a problem but he even said himself , he has to make that big save that keeps them in the game and in the past few games he hasnt done that

still playing solid

Tanevian*

Well Oppenheimer, how has our shootout goaltending been?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad