We're at the 1/4 mark...

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
We're 20 games into the season. What do you like so far about this team? What do you dislike?

As of Wednesday morning, we're tied for a wildcard playoff spot in the West. Our PP is a dismal 9.7% but our PK tops the league at 89.4%.

Discuss...

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Definitely liking our compete and effort out there, and overall our 5 on 5 play.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Like:

- Without looking at the stats, we have to be one of the better 5 on 5 teams in the league.

- Our Dmen look excellent and whoever is playing the best saps minutes from whoever isn't.

- Penalty kill is excellent and has produced offensive chances.

- We change our lines around... we have some roster flexibility.

- Booth in the AHL.

- The Sedins look the best they ever have. Kesler too.

Dislike:

- Powerplay. WTF.

- While he has the track record to have earned faith, Luongo has not looked particularly good. I do like the look of Lack a lot though (and I love his poise with the puck... I didn't know Canuck goalies were allowed to have that).

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
likes...

- steadiness Luongo has shown from the start based on what happened in the summer

- the play of Eddie Lack

- Kesler playing wing

- emergence of Santorelli

dislikes...

- powerplay is atrocious

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Forwards: B
Defence: B-
Goaltending: C

Like the grit this team has shown, and even in games vs top teams they've played pretty well. Give the forwards a B as while the PP stinks, they're getting a lot from cheap contracts right now.

Defence has generally been solid, would be excellent if all of them can play well for the same period of time though. Inconsistent.

To me the goaltending has been decidedly average. Like to see Luongo show some signs that he still has the athleticism to steal games. Right now he's making the basic saves, but any real scoring chance is generally in the back of the net. That won't be good enough in the playoffs and that's what Luongo needs to build towards.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
The main problem is goaltending, Luongo is playing average. He needs to step it up.

Fairweather

Apr 28, 2009
Vancouver
for the first time in a few years, i have a sinking feeling we could miss the playoffs
The only reason I have a bit of that feeling is not that our play has been bad but that the Pacific is so ridiculously strong.

Other than that, the season has gone better than expected. I had anticipated a downer system while every gets used to the new coach but we're at least competing hard.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
for the first time in a few years, i have a sinking feeling we could miss the playoffs

This team is 8th in Fenwick close. That's with getting used to the system under Torts, and suffering multiple injuries in the early going.

Say what you will about Booth, but he along with Schroeder and Hansen are all positive possession players. That number should increase when people are back healthy and playing in their roles.

By the same token, I'm not buying what I'm seeing from PHX and COL thus far. It's a long season. About this time in 2012, MIN was tops in the conference. Let's see where the teams settle.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
+Compete level
+Solid puck possession
+Well-rounded defensive play
+Sedins handling PK/own zone play better
+Santorelli, Richardson, Stanton
+Penalty Kill

-Luongo (surprised he's above .900 this early, though)
-Power Play
-Early injuries
-Burrows, Booth
-Using Hamhuis as an offensive catalyst
-No sights of Edler beasting

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
The only reason I have a bit of that feeling is not that our play has been bad but that the Pacific is so ridiculously strong.

Other than that, the season has gone better than expected. I had anticipated a downer system while every gets used to the new coach but we're at least competing hard.

Totally agree

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
This team has to have surpassed the average person's expectations after the big changes that were made in the summer. Kesler has bounced back better than expected. The Sedins and Torts have taken to each other.

If goaltending is being considered as the main problem then I think we are in good shape. Lu has maybe been carried by the team more than the other way around, but he's typically been bad in October and I feel like it's a good sign we are coming out of that month with a decent record. Given the style of play the team has adopted I think Lu should get pretty comfortable once he finds his groove.

The PP is the one thing that leaves me scratching me head. It's much too static down low. I think we need our PP guys to threaten to find a shooting lane. Once they can do that better then can start passing it off. It seems like they are always deciding waiting then passing it off.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I like what I see from the team under Torts. The team seem to has more fight, more spirit, more accountability.

Unfortunately, they also have less talent.

The Canucks have received some excellent performaces from players that *might* be punching above their weight.

Can players like Santorelli, Higgins and Richardson sustain the level of offensive production they've maintained through the first quarter? It seems unlikely. Now hopefully, if those guys dry up, people like Hansen, Kassian and Burrows can step up and be more productive. The Canucks are going to need goals from players beyond the top line to survive, and if everybody goes cold at the same time, the team will sink like a rock. Goaltending has been fine, but not great, and certainly not at the level to carry the team if they struggle to score.

At this point, I think what we see is what we get. This is a team that will compete for a playoff spot, but for the first time in a long time, missing the playoffs has to be a legitimate concern.

I don't see this group as contending for a Stanley Cup without adding two or three significant pieces up front.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
This team has to have surpassed the average person's expectations after the big changes that were made in the summer. Kesler has bounced back better than expected. The Sedins and Torts have taken to each other.

If goaltending is being considered as the main problem then I think we are in good shape. Lu has maybe been carried by the team more than the other way around, but he's typically been bad in October and I feel like it's a good sign we are coming out of that month with a decent record. Given the style of play the team has adopted I think Lu should get pretty comfortable once he finds his groove.

The issue I have with the "October Luongo" argument is that at some point a 34/35 year old goalie that's closing in on 800 NHL games played (where he differs from some older goalies like Tim Thomas) is going to lose some athletism and start to have trouble with mobility and speed. May not be "October Luongo" so much as what Luongo is now. I think we've already begun to see that with Luongo. If you watch him head to head vs. more athletic, faster goaltenders, he looks like a slug. He has trouble getting accross the net and reacting to rebounds. Plus he lets in a softy pretty regularly.

People like to say, "well look at Broduer, playing well till he's 41!" Well Brodeur hasn't had a season with an above average save percentage in 5 seasons. And the Devils haven't so much as sniffed a cup since Brodeur left his prime. Belfour? Below average after 37 (outside of a solid playoff run in his twighlight). Curtis Joseph? Below average numbers for the last 5-7 years of his career. Although Joseph was always a pretty solid playoff performer, even late in his career. Roy? Well, he doesn't count. Luongo is no Patrick Roy. And these are the exceptions to the rule. Generally goalies don't last into old age as even replacement level starters.

Personally I have my doubts as to whether or not Luongo is even capable of providing championship caliber goaltending at this point. He's prone to softies (has been for a while, just gets blown up when it happens in the playoffs), and just does not look very agile out there. If there's a grade A chance, there's a strong possibility it's in the net. Need some of those saved going forward and into the playoffs.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
they're playing kind of how I expected them to play- the October record was a bit of surprise but they played quite a lot of weak eastern teams in that stretch. The southwest teams are the cream of the pacific crop IMO.......

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
People like to say, "well look at Broduer, playing well till he's 41!" Well Brodeur hasn't had a season with an above average save percentage in 5 seasons. And the Devils haven't so much as sniffed a cup since Brodeur left his prime.

2012?

Luongo relied on athleticism and quickness early in his career. He struggled to adapt but it appears to me like he's becoming more positional and staying in the butterfly more often. Watch a shootout from this season compared to 2-3 seasons ago. It's night and day. Lou still has to get his glove going though. He's getting beat shortside (AHLside) often and it looks like teams are targeting it.

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
I'm liking the PK and the ability to come back and win, not liking the PP and spotting the other team the first goal or 2.

I'm liking the overachievers: Stanton, Santo, Richardson; pleased with Archibald and Welsh; underachieving: Booth, Edler, Burrows

Lots of good things to build on, but room for improvement, especially the PP. The team needs to be quite a bit better by the end of the season. I see no reason to not be optimistic.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
They are 16th in both goals for and goals against

Being one of the better teams in the league at limiting shots and chances against as well as a kickass PK is largely what's keeping their GA numbers respectable. Having the 5th worst team EV sv% isn't going to cut it if they want to go anywhere in this division.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
A lot of it has been said, but in a nutshell - I love the effort, defensive awareness and accountability going on with this team right now. Breath of fresh air after some very consistent lethargic and passive play under Vigneault during his last two seasons.

Our offensive prowess (or lack thereof) is the biggest concern. The PP and a lack of overall offensive talent would be the biggest issues there, IMO. I think the PP can be addressed with work and practice (at least for the first unit), but the second one can't really be changed without a trade.

Wizeman*

John Tortorella . Best coach we have had since Pat Quinn was here.

Stanton . The guy is capable of top 4 minutes and is signed super cheap.

Santorelli. Isn't really a second liner but has filled in very nicely for us and was also dirt cheap. Same goes for Richardson.

Eddie Lack . Proving he can fill Cory Schneiders skates one day.

Henrik Sedin. Leads by example and can still score at a 90 point pace.

Kevin Bieksa. Is finally becoming one of the best two way defenders in the league. Too bad there is no all star game this year.

Chris Higgins. If he played like this all the time he would be making 5.5 mil a year.

Zack Kassian. Starting to show glimpses of Bertuzzi and its exciting to watch but then comes back down to being a floating third liner. Still a step in the right direction and will only get better.

The Meh:

Ryan Kesler . He plays well and looks the same and is doing the same. His plus minus is annoying.

Roberto Luongo. He is slowly sliding into the goaltender graveyard. Is not an elite goaltender anymore. Has his moments of brilliance, but now just as many if not more bonehead goals that have cost us. In the end he is now a mediocre starter. By next year he will be an outright liability.

Dan Hamhuis , Jason Garrison and Alex Edler. All doing an adequate job for their skill set.

The Bad

Daniel Sedin. Does not look like the same guy after Duncan Keith rattles his noggin. I hope he regains his form but at 33 I dont know if its probable.

David Booth . Gillis has call blocked Dale Tallons number

Mike Gillis . Made some nice tweaking moves but knows damn well this team cant win the Stanley Cup . He wants to just sneak by as a first and out playoff team instead of take risks to either tank or make us a contender. He needs to crap of get off the pot. The slow death method never turns out well.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I think Luongo has been decent. While he is getting older and lost some quickness and agility, some areas of his game are looking pretty strong at this point in the season. He's been reading the game pretty well and controlled his rebounds effectively and played all around solid. Though if he hadn't done well in these areas he would've been brutal because it seems quality chances end up in net more than usual (less mobility). I'm still on the fence whether Luongo is good enough to win Cup with but I never expected that to solve itself during October. Lack has been really positive surprise and played better than I expected. Would like to see him play more.

Defence's been good. Some players have had their ups and downs (Hamhuis started slow but is playing really strong at the moment, opposite of Garrison) but overall with the emergence of Tanev (can now play top 4 minutes effectively) and Stanton (a lot like Rome but better, and miles ahead of someone like AHLberts) and Bieksa having a great start to the season, I've really liked the blueline so far.

On the offence Sedins have been superb except the last few games and Santorelli and Higgins have been excellent aswell. Kesler is not a superstar anymore but he's been ok, Richardson has played great in his role (terrific on the PK) and Hansen and Burrows have been hurt. 4th line hasn't really played.

There's however a definite lack of skill and pure offensive ability in the top 6. That's the biggest thing missing right now. Booth and his contract is dead weight and Kassian is not good enough at the moment. After the Sedins it's all "grinders". I still prefer these "grinders" over pure offensive players who are useless otherwise, but adding one impact forward should be a priority (heh, easily said).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad