Post-Game Talk: WE'RE 3-0!!! Leafs beat the Habs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Do you find it interesting it has been Kadri-Lupul that Babcock has had together?

I could easily see your players, but not sure Babcock sees the same combinations.

I think they actually had some chemistry together when they played together. They are both very creative offensively as well

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You can make an argument for both cases and it's been well documented on here.
Of all the things that excite me about the Leafs at the moment, its the management team we have put together. What ever decision they make regarding Nylander and any other player on the squad, I'm confident it will be the right decision.

Been a while since I have thought that.....

YUP kinda like HUnter and the Draft this year....I totally agree

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Do you find it interesting it has been Kadri-Lupul that Babcock has had together?

I could easily see your players, but not sure Babcock sees the same combinations.

Nope.

Its all about shooting direction and playing the odds and centre that shoots left makes forehand passes to his RW and backhand passes to his LW when going north-south.

Kadri shoots left so passing right is more prominent and Bozak shoots right and thus his forehand is his LW . Accuracy and velocity of passes always favours a players strength of forehand verses backhand.

So that is why Babcock has Lupul on his natural RW side with LH shooting Kadri as his centre and JVR on the LW with RH shooting Bozak as his best fit partner.

Lupul scored 2 goals and was among the best players on the ice in his game with Kadri as his centre.

If the goal is to build up the trade value of Lupul and Bozak then this is Hockey-Ball on paper playing the % of trying it maximize statistics and output.

Therefore when forming pairs.

JVR ---- Bozak (RH) -- XXXX
XXXX --- Kadri (LH) --- Lupul

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Something that annoyed me; Jeff O'Niell was criticizing Nylander in the first intermission. Some of what he said was true, then he adds "You need to play physical to be successful at the NHL level."

Someone should tell Duncan Keith, Conn Smythe and Norris-winner, who has been the least physical player in the league the past few seasons, taking ice time and rink bias into account.

You don't need physicality at all. But if you don't have it, you need to replace it somehow. Nylander is doing exactly what he needs to do for just that. He's smart, opportunistic defensively and he's got a great stick.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Something that annoyed me; Jeff O'Niell was criticizing Nylander in the first intermission. Some of what he said was true, then he adds "You need to play physical to be successful at the NHL level."

Someone should tell Duncan Keith, Conn Smythe and Norris-winner, who has been the least physical player in the league the past few seasons, taking ice time and rink bias into account.

You don't need physicality at all. But if you don't have it, you need to replace it somehow. Nylander is doing exactly what he needs to do for just that. He's smart, opportunistic defensively and he's got a great stick.

It's no secret that Nylander shy's away from contact, perhaps that's what O'Niell meant?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Different positions but yea I know what you're saying, even guys like Lidstrom and Neidermayer, they were so smart, they rarely had to play physical.

The only thing I can think of is him wanting Nylander to get more engaged along the boards and get his hands dirty more, which is fine. Nylander will take a bit of time to learn some gritty details of playing centre in North America in the AHL this year (or at least some of the year) and be a better player for it.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
O'Neill needs a new whipping boy apparently. Dreger seemed like he had enough of it, he told O'Neill to back off on the young kid towards the end IIRC

Bibeau and Sparks seem like they'll have a Reimer-Bernier type battle in the AHL this year

I think Soshnikov (spelling?) impressed me the most, probably because I didn't know much about him and have limited expectations. But he looks like a solid player. Speedy, skilled, and aggressive on the forecheck. He could be a bit of a catalyst in the offensive zone by winning battles, and disrupting plays while making little plays in tight.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Nope.

Its all about shooting direction and playing the odds and centre that shoots left makes forehand passes to his RW and backhand passes to his LW when going north-south.

Kadri shoots left so passing right is more prominent and Bozak shoots right and thus his forehand is his LW . Accuracy and velocity of passes always favours a players strength of forehand verses backhand.

So that is why Babcock has Lupul on his natural RW side with LH shooting Kadri as his centre and JVR on the LW with RH shooting Bozak as his best fit partner.

Lupul scored 2 goals and was among the best players on the ice in his game with Kadri as his centre.

If the goal is to build up the trade value of Lupul and Bozak then this is Hockey-Ball on paper playing the % of trying it maximize statistics and output.

They also have to meld together and know each others moves, to make those passes, some of that will be natural but Babcock will also have a lot to do with the positioning of players and so his bench instructions, moving players a foot here and a foot there and this is another reason why Kessel was traded.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
My line-up:

JVR- Kadri-Lupul
PAP-Holland-Boyes
Panik-Bozak-Grabner
Winnik-Spaling-Kom

Doubt with having to showcase Bozak,3rd line will happen though.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
I don't know about the others but I am very very very impressed with what I saw in Dermott yesterday. Though he hasn't been on the scoresheet he was very effective. He hasn't made a single bad play whole night, wasn't being pushed around in fact he was pushing some guys around.

What I liked the most is when he was on the ice leafs made the exits fairly quick and every time. His first pass is elite and that makes him a potential #1 dman. I saw a good rush led by him on PP where he carried the puck from our end to offensive blue line and created a solid chance for someone who couldn't burry it. Really impressed with his poise considering he is only 18. I don't know how management can ignore this guys from making the team this year, let alone next.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
My line-up:

JVR- Kadri-Lupul
PAP-Holland-Boyes
Panik-Bozak-Grabner
Winnik-Spaling-Kom

As stupid as it seems, i would love to see Komorov on a line with Kadri and Lupul. I think his style would really open up opportunities for skill guys like Kadri/Lupul.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
A future defense core built around Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott, and Percy definitely has potential. We also have plenty of solid prospects that can develop to fill out the bottom pairing.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
O'Neill needs a new whipping boy apparently. Dreger seemed like he had enough of it, he told O'Neill to back off on the young kid towards the end IIRC

Bibeau and Sparks seem like they'll have a Reimer-Bernier type battle in the AHL this year

I think Soshnikov (spelling?) impressed me the most, probably because I didn't know much about him and have limited expectations. But he looks like a solid player. Speedy, skilled, and aggressive on the forecheck. He could be a bit of a catalyst in the offensive zone by winning battles, and disrupting plays while making little plays in tight.

I can see Soshnikov being called up with/when we unload some 1 year contracts...

CalgaryLeaf*

My line-up:

JVR- Kadri-Lupul
PAP-Holland-Boyes
Panik-Bozak-Grabner
Winnik-Spaling-Kom

In what world is Holland a better hockey player than Bozak? I'm not a big Holland fan and don't think he'll be part of the future.He'll make the team this year because they are so weak down the middle.

Glencross is also a lock to make the team.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Did you guys notice Babcock reward the youngsters, and also put them under pressure on purpose?

After Marner had that nice fore check, won the battle, they ended up drawing a penalty. That line was given the #2 PP role on the following PP..... Marner tried to go off with half a minute to go and was waived back on the ice, to move from point to forward.

Same with the Nylander goal.... Nylander actually tried to get off the ice when the puck was heading into the Leafs zone as he was close to the bench, was waived back on the ice..... 20 seconds latter, bing bang goal....

I just found it intersting, if you have it recorded, watch the replay... Nylander's is the funniest, he calls for the change and everything... Like babcock wanted them to feel tired, feel the pressure with only a minute to go in the 2nd.

CalgaryLeaf*

Gauthier has looked terrible so far...He's looking like a total bust for a first round pick...He's supposed to be good defensively but he can't keep up with the pace of the NHL game...He's got a LONG way to go.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Gauthier has looked terrible so far...He's looking like a total bust for a first round pick...He's supposed to be good defensively but he can't keep up with the pace of the NHL game...He's got a LONG way to go.

Couldn't agree less to be honest. I thought he showcased exactly what he projects as, against NHL competition. He has clearly worked on his skating even more, as he displayed plenty of speed on occasion. Not much offense though, that's for sure.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Couldn't agree less to be honest. I thought he showcased exactly what he projects as, against NHL competition. He has clearly worked on his skating even more, as he displayed plenty of speed on occasion. Not much offense though, that's for sure.

His skating was poor, and his puck skills have not improved at all I would say.

At best we have a 4th line centre...a 3rd line centre now is still expected to provide some decent offense as well as defensive ability. He seems like he will be a blackhole offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad