Post-Game Talk: WE'RE 3-0!!! Leafs beat the Habs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
In fairness this might be the high point of the season, being able to watch the prospects play ... There's a good chance that there won't be much to get excited about as the regular season progresses

I enjoy when we beat the Sens or Habs… anytime. ;)

I think people need to realize and remember that these guys are showing against other prospects and not NHL teams… nor NHL players that are hungry and at full stride.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
In fairness this might be the high point of the season, being able to watch the prospects play ... There's a good chance that there won't be much to get excited about as the regular season progresses

If Nylander, Brown, Marner etc are all back in the AHL/Junior, I might watch more AHL & junior games this year than NHL ones - if I can find a good source for streams, or a good deal on a package.

I'm happy to see management take a long term view to this team, but I really don't care much about actually watching the team this year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just turned 22 not long ago. Good rookie season but had an injury filled season last year and obviously wasn't as effective. He did pretty well for the Marlies in the playoffs though with 6 points in 5 games.

I think he does. Really good skillset. He just has to stay healthy and probably regain his confidence/scoring touch.

I'm not sure about his long-term outlook with the Leafs or otherwise but I think he can be at least a solid bottom line player if his cap hit stays relatively low. It'll be important for him to start strong with the Marlies.

Problem with that kind of bottom six forward is in this current cap era, you can grab those NHL ready players very, very cheap. If Leivo can't show more than Boyes, Setoguchi, Glencross, Matthias, Parenteau, etc. he'll have no future here because NHL ready players are in good supply.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Habs should be ashamed that they lost to the lineup we iced. Specially since they had Price and Fucale in net.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Gardiner is having a career year this year... He's 10x better than Leafs fans give him credit for

I like him and of coarse as a Leaf fan wan him to tun into a superstar but I watched him live on Monday and he looked brutal in his own end.

He might never get it defensively. He is horrible at pivoting.

mikebel111*

I like him and of coarse as a Leaf fan wan him to tun into a superstar but I watched him live on Monday and he looked brutal in his own end.

Considering you seem to be the only person who thought that so not sure I should believe that

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Babcock said Gardiner was the Leafs best player by a mile last night in his post-game presser

He sure did and I certainly agree, he was the best player last night.

I've noticed that Babcock has him playing a more conservative game, he didn't make those end to end rushes, only to be checked off the puck and then being caught out of position and then scrambling to get back but he was active at both ends of the ice, he did have a problem getting out of his own end zone at times but it probably can be chalked up, to not playing with his regular partner Rielly.

I think he is going to have a big season and I'm really glad he wasn't traded last year and I admit, I put him in a few trade scenario's myself.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Honestly, i get the feeling Gauthier could be a lot better than he is right now if he were more confident and aggressive on the play. Too many times last night i felt like he gave up on the play. His actual ability level to play sound positional hockey is among the best on the team ...it's just how much he utilizes that. Plenty of player who don't and fade away.

He's too soft. For now... I would still think it is wise to give him a full three years if needed and see how things progress.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
He sure did and I certainly agree, he was the best player last night.

I've noticed that Babcock has him playing a more conservative game, he didn't make those end to end rushes, only to be checked off the puck and then being caught out of position and then scrambling to get back but he was active at both ends of the ice, he did have a problem getting out of his own end zone at times but it probably can be chalked up, to not playing with his regular partner Rielly.

I think he is going to have a big season and I'm really glad he wasn't traded last year and I admit, I put him in a few trade scenario's myself.

I agree.
I really thought Gardiner would have been traded in the summer, but I can already see a bit of a difference in his game from the small amount of time he's been working with Babcock. Talent is obviously there, he just needs to simplify his game at times. Also noticed him being a bit more aggressive in these past two gams in terms of physical play.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Honestly, i get the feeling Gauthier could be a lot better than he is right now if he were more confident and aggressive on the play. Too many times last night i felt like he gave up on the play. His actual ability level to play sound positional hockey is among the best on the team ...it's just how much he utilizes that. Plenty of player who don't and fade away.

He's too soft. For now... I would still think it is wise to give him a full three years if needed and see how things progress.

I agree with this. He plays so passively that often his size and positional awareness have little impact.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Perhaps elite within the Leafs prospects?

We don't know what population set is being used as reference.

He is unlikely good or average defensively against good NHL players right now, but he's only 20. He has NHL size, but he's had that since he was drafted, so it is about his overall game.

No rush, give him time perhaps the Leafs will have a lower case Martin Hanzal.

Elite is something you earn over a period of time through consistent high level play.
Not something you get because of a half season of play or a 3 week stretch of being the best player on a lousy team.
Right now we have some highly skilled players who could be more.
Leafs are given far to much some times for things they haven't earned.
First earn respect for hard work. We can see who earns jobs and status.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
darn guess no game tonight or tomorrow..

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS 2015-16 PRESEASON SCHEDULE

DATE OPPONENT SITE TIME
MON. SEPT. 21 OTTAWA AIR CANADA CENTRE 7:30 PM (SPLIT SQUAD)
MON. SEPT. 21 OTTAWA CANADIAN TIRE CENTRE 7:30 PM (SPLIT SQUAD)
TUES. SEPT. 22 MONTREAL BELL CENTRE 7:30 PM
FRI. SEPT. 25 BUFFALO AIR CANADA CENTRE 7:30 PM
SAT. SEPT. 26 MONTREAL AIR CANADA CENTRE 7:30 PM
TUES. SEPT 29 BUFFALO FIRST NIAGARA CENTER 7:00 PM
FRI. OCT 2 DETROIT JOE LOUIS ARENA 7:30PM
SAT. OCT 3 DETROIT AIR CANADA CENTRE 7:00 PM

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Not impressed with any of the prospects.

Compared to kadri in his draft year, all these players are a couple of steps behind.

Timishov or whatever his name is, was decent as was dermott.

Gauthier looks like steckel jr

Nylander looks like he needs a little more ahl time. He's close though.

Leivo looks like he's better than some of the vets.

Not impressed with anything marner did. Ill chalk that up to first game jitters.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Be even weaker without him.

Typical Leaf fan attitude. Complain about a player not being good enough as he gives 100%.

People act like Bozak was a top 5 pick or something. Undrafted UFA to even be in the top 6 is a hell of an accomplishment.

He's not an awful player by any means but you'd swear he was an enigma like an Alex Semin or something with some of the comments about him.

Thank you sir, it appears most people only like FLASHY players, regardless of the substance or outcome of it. Bozak had a solid first game, moved the puck quickly and had a solid game in his own end, he was in good position and snuffed out a few good scoring chances. But since it's Bozak, it goes unnoticed and you still have guys on here claiming how bad he is. You just know Babcock doesn't feel the same, Bozak is the type of player he will love because he competes and can play the full 200 feet. And yes, being a relied upon penalty killer does make you a solid defensive player, as the whole point is defending in your own zone.

I don't get the hate he gets, sure he isn't a number 1 center, if were getting into meaningless labels, but he is a solid and effective player. One pre season game doesn't mean squat but it was encouraging to see him still play well, even without his buddy Kessel.

People need to relax on him and just let it play out, this whole we're showcasing him is premature IMO. Would take him anyday over Holland. What exactly does Holland do better than Bozak?

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I think there will be some more cuts, very soon...

Really like what I am seeing from Nylander, Bibeau, Loov, Timashov, Gardiner, Rielly, Bernier, Phaneuf, JVR, Bozak and some others.

I think that Marner was okay, but he doesn't look that strong against the bigger opponents yet.. and keeping him would only delay his progression, imo...

Fraser, Marner, Gauthier, Frattin, Campbell, Leivo, Hyman, Clune, Nielsen & Harrington.. are who I expect will be let go.. (not because they all were bad, but some are just not ready yet...( like Stephen Harper.. LOL!)

Glencross, Setoguchi & Boyes better step up their games, because they might not make the cut either..

I still think that Nylander would do better with a full season in the AHL, or at least wait until trade day to bring him back up.. He's been great, but it's more of a safety issue, for me... He will be a target for the big guys on other teams...

Boyes had a solid game last night, save for that one shift where his line was hemmed in and he had a few turnovers being soft on the puck. Other than that he showed good hands in traffic and was poised with the puck. He'll get a longer look than you're thinking. They aren't going to just cut these guys after 1-2 games, they are going to give them a fair shake.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
at this point in their lives, boyes and PA are barely 3 and 4th line nhl players...yet they make the 1st and 2nd lines...grabner is barely an nhl passable 2nd liner anymore, hes probably even a below average 3rd

lol man these are the players thats blocking brown and nylander? omg thats horrible

Are you basing this off last seasons performance, or the two preseason games so far? Because if it's the latter, they have looked better than most of the guys in camp. Parenteau doesn't have the foot speed but he has a real nose for the net and a good, quick shot. He can also read the play well and gets on loose pucks decently as well.

There is only room for one of Setoguchi and Boyes though, and I would give it to Boyes at this point. Glencross is redundant as we already have guys like Spaling and Winnik who are just as effective and already on 1 way deals. Grabner is definitely a solid 3rd line player, but labelling lines 1-4 is what fans do and not what coaches or management do. Grabner provides a very sound two-way game and his speed disrupts a lot of plays. Yes his puck control and finish leave some to be desired for sure, but he is definitely a solid energy line player who can chip in offensively. Even if he doesn't cash in on his plays, he is generating offensive opportunities and that leads to the other team going into scramble mode.

Wouldn't be surprised if our main penalty killing forwards throughout the season are Winnik, Spaling, Bozak, Grabner and throw Holland in there too. They're valuable whether you want to think so or not. I don't mean to single you out at all, this is just more in general.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

I agree with you man, but the swarm of fanboys won't of course. They only see what they want to see. He obviously has great feet and escapability, but holds onto the puck way too long half the time and turned it over a lot on Monday. He has no ability to separate his man from the puck down low, all he can do is just keep himself on the strong side of the puck. But his positioning wasn't terrible, it was competent IMO. He just loves to get up into the rush and needs to pick his spots better, because he puts his partner in trouble a lot, and then posters just blame his partner all the time.

Guys like Mikebel only agree with popular opinion, if everyone is saying Gardiner was great, they'll say it and then it becomes like gospel. Not many can critique and judge a player with total non bias. There is a reason why he was a healthy scratch for team USA at the WC, and it is not because he is a great puck mover and a stout defender. He makes the same mistakes over and over again, but he has the ability to change the game which is why many love him. I like Gards, I really do, but there is more to the game then just creating offense. On Monday, a lot of the time when we were stuck in our zone, Gardiner was on the ice.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Babcock said Gardiner was the Leafs best player by a mile last night in his post-game presser

He was referring to the Leafs first game, Monday against Ottawa. He was much better against the Habs. Also, just because you hear Babcock say something like that, doesn't necessarily make it true. Babcock might be one of the best motivators in the league, and he knows how to pump a player up when he needs it. He is protecting the players, which is what he should be doing. He would never come out and say that Gardiner was horrible. Gardiner has fragile confidence and it is obvious, what better what to instill confidence in him then coming out and saying he was the best player on the ice?

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
He was referring to the Leafs first game, Monday against Ottawa. He was much better against the Habs. Also, just because you hear Babcock say something like that, doesn't necessarily make it true. Babcock might be one of the best motivators in the league, and he knows how to pump a player up when he needs it. He is protecting the players, which is what he should be doing. He would never come out and say that Gardiner was horrible. Gardiner has fragile confidence and it is obvious, what better what to instill confidence in him then coming out and saying he was the best player on the ice?

LOL, you think Babcock is trying to mind**** Gardiner with reverse psychology via the media?

Yes, Babcock will absolutely come out and say that his defenceman had a bad game, or even "clean up the **** in your game" (he was filmed telling this to a rookie defenceman on the HBO special before the Winter Classic). He is well known for it:

From this gem:

Babcock will do whatever he sees fit in order to win, be it benching talent, scratching veterans, or publicly criticizing his players.

Former Red Wings such as Robert Lang, Mark Mowers, and even Brendan Shanahan have expressed their, shall we say, "lack of appreciation" for Babcock's style.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Babcock has said he wants his players to admit and will tell them when theyve played bad. He did that to Jimmy Howard during HBO, he said in a presser that he was bad in a game. Then Carlyle got **** for saying Reimer was Ok or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00