Post-Game Talk: WE'RE 3-0!!! Leafs beat the Habs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

Gauthier looks good. you can see his elite defensive game in some occasions in games

nice to see that as usual

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I think there will be some more cuts, very soon...

Really like what I am seeing from Nylander, Bibeau, Loov, Timashov, Gardiner, Rielly, Bernier, Phaneuf, JVR, Bozak and some others.

I think that Marner was okay, but he doesn't look that strong against the bigger opponents yet.. and keeping him would only delay his progression, imo...

Fraser, Marner, Gauthier, Frattin, Campbell, Leivo, Hyman, Clune, Nielsen & Harrington.. are who I expect will be let go.. (not because they all were bad, but some are just not ready yet...( like Stephen Harper.. LOL!)

Glencross, Setoguchi & Boyes better step up their games, because they might not make the cut either..

I still think that Nylander would do better with a full season in the AHL, or at least wait until trade day to bring him back up.. He's been great, but it's more of a safety issue, for me... He will be a target for the big guys on other teams...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think there will be some more cuts, very soon...

Really like what I am seeing from Nylander, Bibeau, Loov, Timashov, Gardiner, Rielly, Bernier, Phaneuf, JVR, Bozak and some others.

I think that Marner was okay, but he doesn't look that strong against the bigger opponents yet.. and keeping him would only delay his progression, imo...

Fraser, Marner, Gauthier, Frattin, Campbell, Leivo, Hyman, Clune, Nielsen & Harrington.. are who I expect will be let go.. (not because they all were bad, but some are just not ready yet...( like Stephen Harper.. LOL!)

Glencross, Setoguchi & Boyes better step up their games, because they might not make the cut either..

I still think that Nylander would do better with a full season in the AHL, or at least wait until trade day to bring him back up.. He's been great, but it's more of a safety issue, for me... He will be a target for the big guys on other teams...

Agree with most of this.

I've liked Boyes. I haven't seen Glencross yet, and Setoguchi has been pretty bad.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
lol, Who said that

I know no selke means you aren't elite

maybe learn about defence bud
Maybe you should stop using the word elite so loosely then. So what youre telling me is that Gauthier's current defensive game can match up with the likes of Bergeron, Toews, Backes, Datsyuk, Kesler? I beg to differ...

You probably thought Matt Finn was elite as well.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Maybe you should stop using the word elite so loosely then. So what youre telling me is that Gauthier's current defensive game can match up with the likes of Bergeron, Toews, Backes, Datsyuk, Kesler? I beg to differ...

Nothing about Gauthier is elite.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
u guys crazy or dont no how to watch hockey? freddie looked really good for me, for 1st nhl game...almost every shift the play was in the other end with him on the ice, and he worked the boards really well...his skating was no problem, and his size is amazing, easily just took a couple of big hits to move the puck out a few times

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Sad to see Dermott go, I felt he was showing huge promise and was already looking better than half the D that will be in the NHL this year on the Leafs. Although I understand the reasoning.... I think Nylander will get sent down in the end as well, although I think he shows he can be top6, for sure top 9 right now.

If Nylander comes out and has another good game, I think we can toss out the "They will make the team when they take a roster spot" good bye and obviously they are keeping them down on purpose. He already seems better than close to half of the team that will play this year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Perhaps elite within the Leafs prospects?

We don't know what population set is being used as reference.

He is unlikely good or average defensively against good NHL players right now, but he's only 20. He has NHL size, but he's had that since he was drafted, so it is about his overall game.

No rush, give him time perhaps the Leafs will have a lower case Martin Hanzal.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Perhaps elite within the Leafs prospects?

We don't know what population set is being used as reference.

He is unlikely good or average defensively against good NHL players right now, but he's only 20. He has NHL size, but he's had that since he was drafted, so it is about his overall game.

No rush, give him time perhaps the Leafs will have a lower case Martin Hanzal.

Well good ol' Mikebel straight up said elite, not potential to be elite.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
at this point in their lives, boyes and PA are barely 3 and 4th line nhl players...yet they make the 1st and 2nd lines...grabner is barely an nhl passable 2nd liner anymore, hes probably even a below average 3rd

lol man these are the players thats blocking brown and nylander? omg thats horrible

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

In his post he did say that, but he never explained further what he was comparing him to.

He could be justified in calling him elite amongst Leafs prospects, seeing as many of them have been drafted for skill, not defensive abilities.

I'm sure he doesn't mean elite compared to NHL elite defensive players. He's unlikely to even make the NHL this year, so that would disqualify him from being an elite defensive NHLer.

Time will tell.

This year we'll see how he stacks up against men in the AHL, perhaps he'll prove himself an elite AHLer as step 1 in his pro career.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Elite is a rough word maybe... But he is good defensively, good on face offs, and good on the PK..... Well above average in those 3 fields.

Compared to what though? 16-18 year olds in the Q?

Remember this is just a pre-season, Montreal did not have a lot of good talent in the lineup last night at all.

If he played great defensively towards the end of the pre-season against a team that had more NHL talent injected into it, maybe it's something to talk about.

I'd like Gauthier to succeed but not seeing anything special so far.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Compared to what though? 16-18 year olds in the Q?

Remember this is just a pre-season, Montreal did not have a lot of good talent in the lineup last night at all.

If he played great defensively towards the end of the season against a team that had more NHL talent injected into it, maybe it's something to talk about.

I'd like Gauthier to succeed but not seeing anything special so far.

Well that is all there is to compare him too, obviously. Doesn't change the fact he succeeds in those roles.

We will see after this year in the A, I guess.

Personally, I think he is a solid 2-way 4th liner, that will PK in the NHL, but will never be a 20+ goal scorer, and I am fine with that.

People dogging the Leafs for that pick, why don't people look at that draft..... Who after Freddy is doing SO GREAT in the NHL? Who you got? Burakovsky, Dano, and MAYBE Duclair?? That's it, and none of them are mind blowing...... Not a deep draft, people need to stop blaming the Leafs, and blaming the Goat for the depth of a draft. Only 5 players drafted past the Goat have played 10+ games in the NHL... 5, in the WHOLE draft.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Well that is all there is to compare him too, obviously. Doesn't change the fact he succeeds in those roles.

We will see after this year in the A, I guess.

Personally, I think he is a solid 2-way 4th liner, that will PK in the NHL, but will never be a 20+ goal scorer, and I am fine with that.

People dogging the Leafs for that pick, why don't people look at that draft..... Who after Freddy is doing SO GREAT in the NHL? Who you got? Burakovsky, Dano, and MAYBE Duclair?? That's it, and none of them are mind blowing...... Not a deep draft, people need to stop blaming the Leafs, and blaming the Goat for the depth of a draft. Only 5 players drafted past the Goat have played 10+ games in the NHL... 5, in the WHOLE draft.

I think he will be a good 4th line centre that will be effective PKing, I think we agree there.

I wanted Rychel - he got taken unfortunately.

After that I wanted Shinkaruk and Burakovsky but unfortunately we took Gauthier.

mikebel111*

it is elite. good old Peasy is denying the truth it seems;)

Not sure what Finn has to do with this. maybe you thought Bozak was elite. see it works both ways.

How about this. elite D game, could be elite in NHL

happy?

probably still upset though

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I think he will be a good 4th line centre that will be effective PKing, I think we agree there.

I wanted Rychel - he got taken unfortunately.

After that I wanted Shinkaruk and Burakovsky but unfortunately we took Gauthier.

and Shinkaruk still has yet to see any NHL time. This may be his year though.

Burakovsky I love now (From the playoffs), but somehow he slipped my draft radar, so I wasn't big on him. I liked Dano, and he played well last year, but for only 35 games.

Either way, you would have had to pick one of Burakovsky or Dano, and that was pretty much the only options left, and Duclair looks like a good long shot to make it. That's it.... Weak draft.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Ive defended Gauthier a few times on here but I came away really underwhelmed with him last game. His puck skills are straight up awful, like Clarkson level bad. I stopped keeping track of the amount of times he'd fumble an easy pass with no pressure or win a puck battle only to give it away shortly after.

That being said he has good instincts and uses his size pretty effectively which are both hard to teach. He did start playing hockey late from what I remember so hopefully the puck skills will catch up eventually. Right now though he's looking like a worse version of Steckel. He has a good base to build off of so I hope he proves me wrong.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
and Shinkaruk still has yet to see any NHL time. This may be his year though.

Burakovsky I love now (From the playoffs), but somehow he slipped my draft radar, so I wasn't big on him. I liked Dano, and he played well last year, but for only 35 games.

Shinkaruk could bust for all I know, but at the time it was - a guy who if everything worked out would be a 3rd line NHL centre or a guy like Shinkaruk or Burakovsky who if everything panned out could be a top line winger in the NHL? Much more likely a 2nd line wing but top 6 are typically more valuable then bottom 6.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Player x looked good out there…. against other AHL bound players and a handful of NHL contract locked players on the opposing team that aren't playing for their jobs.

This isn't to be a downer it's just to be a realist. It's great to see the Leafs playing hard this early. Their jobs are on the line. Their opponents thus far? Pretty much set line ups.

Wake me when it matters.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Go watch videos of the players we're hoping to see Gauthier develop into, Gaustad, Boyle, even Steckel. All of these players will exhibit more basic sound hockey skills than Gauthier does at the moment. I don't know what any of them looked like specifically at 20 years of age but Gauthier has a long road just to become that level of player. I'm expecting struggles at the AHL level with the speed and skill of that game.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Player x looked good out there…. against other AHL bound players and a handful of NHL contract locked players on the opposing team that aren't playing for their jobs.

This isn't to be a downer it's just to be a realist. It's great to see the Leafs playing hard this early. Their jobs are on the line. Their opponents thus far? Pretty much set line ups.

Wake me when it matters.

In fairness this might be the high point of the season, being able to watch the prospects play ... There's a good chance that there won't be much to get excited about as the regular season progresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad