Post-Game Talk: WE'RE 3-0!!! Leafs beat the Habs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

Couldn't agree less to be honest. I thought he showcased exactly what he projects as, against NHL competition. He has clearly worked on his skating even more, as he displayed plenty of speed on occasion. Not much offense though, that's for sure.

It looks like its a 3rd line C with an elite defensive game.
I will take that

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
In what world is Holland a better hockey player than Bozak? I'm not a big Holland fan and don't think he'll be part of the future.He'll make the team this year because they are so weak down the middle.

Glencross is also a lock to make the team.

I'm sure you'd find many(!) people on here that prefer Holland over Bozak.

Don't think Holland has gotten a real opportunity as of yet to play with any legit scoring wingers (mostly Komarov and Winnik), so not sure how you can compare him to Bozak at all.

Additionally,In most aspects: speed, size, shot,etc. Holland is better on paper. The guy was drafted a few spots after Kadri and IMO, has some legit skills. Just needs to show them more often.

mikebel111*

Don't think Holland has gotten a real opportunity as of yet to play with any legit scoring wingers (mostly Komarov and Winnik), so not sure how you can compare him to Bozak at all.

Additionally,In most aspects: speed, size, shot,etc. Holland is better on paper. The guy was drafted a few spots after Kadri and IMO, has some legit skills. Just needs to show them more often.

I agree
Holland>Bozak

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Gauthier looks he could be a Brian Boyle type IMO.

Typically you wouldn't want to be using first round picks to acquire a fourth line center, even if it's a good one, but hey.... at least it's not Tyler Biggs.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Not having seen Gauthier play a whole lot before, I was pleasantly surprised that he appeared to be a lot faster than I thought he'd be.

Think he'd max out at 15 goals a year currently and might be better served to move him over to the wing and try to develop him as an Andreychuk type guy who hangs out in front of the net and picks up lots of garbage goals. Could see him being more offensively successful that way.

Seems he's being groomed to be some sort of elite shut-down guy however, so i don't think we'll see much change from him moving forward. He'll probably be 3rd line center for The Marlies this season and be on the ice for 90% of the PK opportunities.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
In what world is Holland a better hockey player than Bozak? I'm not a big Holland fan and don't think he'll be part of the future.He'll make the team this year because they are so weak down the middle.

Glencross is also a lock to make the team.

Bozak is one of the reasons why Leafs are so weak up the middle. Don't make it sound like Bozak is some good C.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Regarding the junior players, I would have liked some of them (Timashov, Dermott) to play in a game or two more and be a little more over their heads. That's more of a learning experience for the more advanced prospects than to leave camp thinking NHL level hockey is as easy as two early pre-season games.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Keep in mind Gauthier is just graduating from junior .. Sure he's got the NHL size right now, but he's still working on his skating coming out of the junior level.

He showed some good cerebral linear speed .. He's so big with long strides that he can move fast.. He's also strong along the boards, but improved edges, balance, and skating within a 3 foot radius will help him translate his possession game into the pro's .. I saw that he was using his body and battling along the boards physically pretty well with the Montreal defenders, but the difference is those guys are bigger and stronger on their skates, which Gauthier is probably not used to yet. Give Freddy some time to get stronger in that area and he'll be hard to knock off the puck in the corner

I noticed Babcock had him out there late in the third on a defensive draw, that he won ;)

Solid defensive game, solid along the cycle .. Still needs to really work on those hands around the net. I think that will be the difference between him being a good third liner and a good fourth liner - how he's able to develop his game in the dirty area around the net

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not looking good for Josh Leivo being sent down so early. I wonder if he has a future with the Leafs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not looking good for Josh Leivo being sent down so early. I wonder if he has a future with the Leafs.

Disappointing? Yes but most young players are going down and we're not pondering their future.

They made it hard for any young guy to make the team. I just thought Leivo would last longer. He had a rough year last year in the AHL, hopefullly this year he gets the scoring touch back and becomes a viable top 9 option again for the future.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Just turned 22 not long ago. Good rookie season but had an injury filled season last year and obviously wasn't as effective. He did pretty well for the Marlies in the playoffs though with 6 points in 5 games.

I think he does. Really good skillset. He just has to stay healthy and probably regain his confidence/scoring touch.

I'm not sure about his long-term outlook with the Leafs or otherwise but I think he can be at least a solid bottom line player if his cap hit stays relatively low. It'll be important for him to start strong with the Marlies.

Last edited:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Regarding the junior players, I would have liked some of them (Timashov, Dermott) to play in a game or two more and be a little more over their heads. That's more of a learning experience for the more advanced prospects than to leave camp thinking NHL level hockey is as easy as two early pre-season games.

I think the junior season starts tomorrow so they probably wanted them back so they didn't miss any games down there. They weren't going to make the team anyways so it was expected to happen.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
I know it's early but is anyone else surprised the games that are being won..

last few years they havw all been 3-4 6-5 type games now all 3 games we have been a lot better at holding off rather then allowing 2 or 3 goals after we score... it's a different feel all together

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

last few years they havw all been 3-4 6-5 type games now all 3 games we have been a lot better at holding off rather then allowing 2 or 3 goals after we score... it's a different feel all together

I don't care too much about wins and losses, it's just refreshing not to give up 35+ shots... ALL THE TIME. That crap was embarrassing.

Keeping shots against under 30 most nights will be a really nice change of pace.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
If Leivo has a really good year in the AHL, then he'll be with the team next year. It's all about how he reacts when he's down with the Marlies this year. If he is butt hurt about being demoted and it shows, then they'll move on from him.

I think that Bibeau had a really strong game. He's huge in the net and controlled the puck reasonably well. The goal that was let in was a gift after bouncing off a stick into the slot.

buttman*

Holland gets plenty of ice-time. Bozak is a better player.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

People actually pay attention to the scores of pre-season games?

It's a skate for veterans while youngsters try and make an impression. Nothing resembling regular season NHL action.

Don't get hurt and get to Oct 7 is the only goal of every player so nobody should be shocked at 3 'victories' nor should they be with 3 'losses' as the actual results mean nothing to anyone except for fans.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't care too much about wins and losses, it's just refreshing not to give up 35+ shots... ALL THE TIME. That crap was embarrassing.

Keeping shots against under 30 most nights will be a really nice change of pace.

I am not reading anything into preseason. If once the regular season starts, and they start allowing less than 30 shots consistently then that would mean something.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Bozak is one of the reasons why Leafs are so weak up the middle. Don't make it sound like Bozak is some good C.

Be even weaker without him.

Typical Leaf fan attitude. Complain about a player not being good enough as he gives 100%.

People act like Bozak was a top 5 pick or something. Undrafted UFA to even be in the top 6 is a hell of an accomplishment.

He's not an awful player by any means but you'd swear he was an enigma like an Alex Semin or something with some of the comments about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad