Well, now that the rebuild is over...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Can’t turning the corner simply mean that there’s starting to be some optimism? There’s really not much they can do to avoid another bad year, but it’s not all doom and gloom anymore.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Can’t turning the corner simply mean that there’s starting to be some optimism? There’s really not much they can do to avoid another bad year, but it’s not all doom and gloom anymore.

Before I watched the video I knew this thread was going to be completely overblown. On this board, having a hint of excitement for the pipeline of young players in the system apparently now means you think the rebuild is over and think that management is ready to ice a Stanley Cup contender.

Reactions: 14ari13 and Oddbob

hkydave04

Mar 8, 2016
Could it be that management knows team is in store for another bad yr and plans on signing a couple of these vets so that we can trade them later in season so we can add multiple picks again like we have the past couple years? Just a thought

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Could it be that management knows team is in store for another bad yr and plans on signing a couple of these vets so that we can trade them later in season so we can add multiple picks again like we have the past couple years? Just a thought

Seems a bit of stretch, this is not NHL 18 where you can do that. Maybe Bernier can be traded but I don't think Filppula or Vanek will get you any decent high round picks.

Reactions: hkydave04

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'll try to put into words how I approach my fandom.

I talk armchair GM with an aggressive rebuild approach. Draft the best talent you possibly can. Promote youth quickly, stay away from unnecessary high cost, high term contracts to players over 27.

Once the season starts, I want everyone to have career years, whether it's a bunch of 40 year olds or a bunch of teenagers. I will never root for the Wings to lose. Ever. At the end of the year, if we are sitting bottom 5, I won't be mad though. Because nothing builds up suspense like anticipating the lottery and getting to pick another player like Zadina.

Everything is positive for me once we get down to actual hockey.

I really like your approach. We need this more in here.

Like, I was little bit rooting for single game losses in latest games at last season. Now I laugh my ass off for it. Those wins didn't hurt at all, because we still got the 3rd best player from the draft even without winning the lottery. The lottery odds for position changes were meaningless, a lot more meaningless, than those mistakes what other organisations like Montreal or hyped super-Chayka made with their needs.

The draft order would still have been the same would the Wings been 3rd-4th-5th last. If Wings would have lost more, they still would have picked Zadina with earlier pick. Even at 7th last we still would have got Bouchard at #8 overall.

Those wins in the end didn't hurt at all.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yes, or they sign them proactive, so they can trade other pieces later.

Reactions: hkydave04

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Everybody already forgot this?

"We are on a rebuild, we will put kids on the lineup and surreound them with with good veterans. I expect 2-3-4 young kids on the lineup at next season. Theme is gonna be youth. "

Reactions: shanman

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I really like your approach. We need this more in here.

Like, I was little bit rooting for single game losses in latest games at last season. Now I laugh my ass off for it. Those wins didn't hurt at all, because we still got the 3rd best player from the draft even without winning the lottery. The lottery odds for position changes were meaningless, a lot more meaningless, than those mistakes what other organisations like Montreal or hyped super-Chayka made with their needs.

The draft order would still have been the same would the Wings been 3rd-4th-5th last. If Wings would have lost more, they still would have picked Zadina with earlier pick. Even at 7th last we still would have got Bouchard at #8 overall.

Those wins in the end didn't hurt at all.
Oh look, an anecdote. Which holds the same weight as saying that Buffalo is thanking their lucky stars for finishing dead last, because otherwise they probably wouldn't have a potentially generational defenseman.

Using a sample size of 1-2 isn't the best way to advocate a specific strategy.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I've seen other organizations do it in recent years. Off the top of my head Toronto and the Rangers. As for my expectations, I expect the organization to treat Wings fans like they know hockey.

Wings fans,

We know it's been a difficult stretch as a fan. There will be more difficulties ahead. We've watched legendary players retire, and while this is never easy, it brings new faces into the fold. Champions are not created overnight. We believe the next great generation of Red Wings is with us now. We work tirelessly to assemble a team that is build for the NHL in front of us, not the one behind us. And while these players may not hoist the Cup next year, we hope you'll join us in watching them grow into their new roles as leaders and ambassadors for what Red Wings hockey means. We don't know where the finish line is yet, but we think it's closer today than yesterday. And momentum has a way of getting you there faster than you anticipated.

All my best,

Vice President of Positive but Realistic Press Releases
Dr. Benchworth III, Esq., Lord of Rivendell, Master of his Domain, Creator of the Snuggie, and Assistant to the General Manager
I like this.

But it's also totally compatible with the "turned the corner" in the OP.

Turned the corner means trending up. It doesn't mean "Cup or bust NOW!"

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I like this.

But it's also totally compatible with the "turned the corner" in the OP.

Turned the corner means trending up.

If we were 7th last at 2017 season, and 5th last at last season, being 6th last on next season is "turning the corner".

The youth is coming in soon. First wave of AA-Larkin-Mantha-Bert is already in and second wave of Cholowski-Hronek-Rasmussen-Zadina-Veleno-Svechnikov will join in some timeframe. This is also "turning the corner". The kids, more kids and better kids, are drafted to Red Wings property and now we just patiently wait them to pan out.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Is there plan to be bad and rebuilding or is the team just bad? Best to tell your fans it's rebuilding bad.

Wings will be better once those long term expensive contracts of fading players are replaced with good valued players. Still a few years away.

Reactions: ealong59

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't care what they say, until the defense is addressed we are only going to get so far. I don't think this team will be improved next year and our division markedly improved in many ways. This team can be better individually and still worse in the standings, that is the season I am hoping for.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Definition of TURN THE CORNER
(Merriam Webster)

"Definition: to get past the most difficult area or period in something and begin to improve."

I guess it all depends on what metric is used for measuring improvement.

If they're saying that the Wings are finally consistently landing prospects and young players that are and will be part of the next window of contention, then ok.

If they're saying that the Wings will now start to climb back up in the standings, then I have some beachfront property in Nebraska that I'd like to show them.

There are now some pieces. But there's at least another 1-2 off seasons before I'd expect any evidence of growth on a macro level.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
"Definition: to get past the most difficult area or period in something and begin to improve."

I guess it all depends on what metric is used for measuring improvement.

If they're saying that the Wings are finally consistently landing prospects and young players that are and will be part of the next window of contention, then ok.

I'll take this one. At least now we have some Elite talent.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think they had a draft to be proud of.

I guess it’s just weird for me because this is usually the type of stuff you let other people say on your behalf. If you say it you put expectations on yourself. Not really sure we are at a point yet where we should be doing that.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
This reaction is kind of ridiculous.

The organization can sway me with their actions and say whatever they want to get casual fans to go to games. I don't see the need to get worked up over this.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I've seen other organizations do it in recent years. Off the top of my head Toronto and the Rangers. As for my expectations, I expect the organization to treat Wings fans like they know hockey.

Wings fans,

We know it's been a difficult stretch as a fan. There will be more difficulties ahead. We've watched legendary players retire, and while this is never easy, it brings new faces into the fold. Champions are not created overnight. We believe the next great generation of Red Wings is with us now. We work tirelessly to assemble a team that is build for the NHL in front of us, not the one behind us. And while these players may not hoist the Cup next year, we hope you'll join us in watching them grow into their new roles as leaders and ambassadors for what Red Wings hockey means. We don't know where the finish line is yet, but we think it's closer today than yesterday. And momentum has a way of getting you there faster than you anticipated.

All my best,

Vice President of Positive but Realistic Press Releases
Dr. Benchworth III, Esq., Lord of Rivendell, Master of his Domain, Creator of the Snuggie, and Assistant to the General Manager
Well written bench. However that's extremely naive and unrealistic approach based on past history of chris illitch. it probably doesn't help either that the tigers are doing just as bad as the wings. I'm sure he's desperate for any sign of good news at this point

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This reaction is kind of ridiculous.

The organization can sway me with their actions and say whatever they want to get casual fans to go to games. I don't see the need to get worked up over this.
Well, considering Holland is now trying to sign Vanek, Derek Ryan, and trade for Faulk... maybe there are legs to this. Sounds an awful lot like a team that doesn't want to have a lottery pick this season.

If you're rebuilding, why even bother with this stuff? If you sign these guys, you don't even have roster space for both Rasmussen and Zadina.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well, considering Holland is now trying to sign Vanek, Derek Ryan, and trade for Faulk... maybe there are legs to this. Sounds an awful lot like a team that doesn't want to have a lottery pick this season.

If you're rebuilding, why even bother with this stuff? If you sign these guys, you don't even have roster space for both Rasmussen and Zadina.

Proactive UFAs are needed if you send a bigger package for Faulk.

Already, sending something like E.Svechnikov and Athanasiou to Carolina, creates a roster hole where you can insert guy like Vanek short-term. It's a puzzle, pretty easy to understand.

If that trade never happens, it will push Svechnikov to Griffins. Then you trade Nyquist on trade deadline and it opens a spot again.

Reactions: RedMenace

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Oh look, an anecdote. Which holds the same weight as saying that Buffalo is thanking their lucky stars for finishing dead last, because otherwise they probably wouldn't have a potentially generational defenseman.

Using a sample size of 1-2 isn't the best way to advocate a specific strategy.

You mean like what so many fans do with Chicago and LA as the template?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You mean like what so many fans do with Chicago and LA as the template?
Top 5-ish draft picks being integral to teams that won the bulk of the championships since the salary cap was implemented...now has the same degree of precedence as one draft pick falling 3 slots?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad