Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I’ll take it for only 5 picks back. I thought it was for futures.
I was hoping it was for futures. I just don't see any point in drafting guys in the late 6th/7th without a shot at making the roster.

The Bills are drafting like a team that isn’t expecting to win a lot in 2024.
I completely disagree. They're taking older guys to fill immediate needs. Drafting for the future would be a bunch of young high upside swings.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I was hoping it was for futures. I just don't see any point in drafting guys in the late 6th/7th without a shot at making the roster.

I completely disagree. They're taking older guys to fill immediate needs. Drafting for the future would be a bunch of young high upside swings.
Bills roster is full of depth guys and backup level role players, bringing in competition for those guys isn’t a bad thing.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The Cover1 guys are speculating it's for guys they had as priority UDFA signings that may not be interested in signing with us.

Not a terrible strategy, and if true it's a strategy that I'm glad the GM is thinking about.
I guess, but those guys are ultimately just PS fodder that likely just gets plucked away anyway.

Bills roster is full of depth guys and backup level role players, bringing in competition for those guys isn’t a bad thing.
Do you have some names as examples of players you think a 5th-7th round rookie could push off the roster?

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
The Bills are drafting like a team that isn’t expecting to win a lot in 2024.

That's one way of looking at it. Another is that they're drafting like a team that:

1) Knows they don't have a lot of high-end draft capital, due to having a competitive roster annually

2) Knows they have a lot of holes to fill due to The Cap doing its thing

3) Knows they don't have a lot of capital available to address said holes, because they have a franchise QB making franchise QB money

4) Knows that the draft is a total crap-shoot outside the first-round and is accumulating as many picks as they possibly can knowing a percentage will never see a regular season snap

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I guess, but those guys are ultimately just PS fodder that likely just gets plucked away anyway.

Do you have some names as examples of players you think a 5th-7th round rookie could push off the roster?
Think we're kinda nitpicking at this point, can't just call it a day, more PS fodder to get poached is better than less I guess.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018

buffalobills.com/team/players-roster/

Feel free to look. Then we can look at Beane’s history of drafting guys in the 5th, the round I brought up.

I guess what’s the point of even continuing past the 5th round in that case?

We’re ready to compete right now.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Historically the Bills 6th and 7th rounders have had some decent hits - Benford, Spector, Hamlin, Hodgins, Dane Jackson, Ray-Ray McLoud

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
buffalobills.com/team/players-roster/

Feel free to look. Then we can look at Beane’s history of drafting guys in the 5th, the round I brought up.

I guess what’s the point of even continuing past the 5th round in that case?

We’re ready to compete right now.
I posted an entire rundown of their locks to make the roster a few pages ago detailing how there's not much room for day 3 picks to make the roster. I keep asking you to name some players currently looking to make the roster that a late round pick could beat out. You must have a few in mind?

I think corner is an example, since their CB4 is currently Ingram. Safety as well, since their SAF4 is Hamlin. WR and TE as well over Shorter and Morris. But there's just not that many of those spots.

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
Wow. Beane made a pick? I thought he was just hoarding late round picks like a dragon at this point.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I posted an entire rundown of their locks to make the roster a few pages ago detailing how there's not much room for day 3 picks to make the roster. I keep asking you to name some players currently looking to make the roster that a late round pick could beat out. You must have a few in mind?

I think corner is an example, since their CB4 is currently Ingram. Safety as well, since their SAF4 is Hamlin. WR and TE as well over Shorter and Morris. But there's just not that many of those spots.
The second paragraph is where I’d like them to focus. CB and WR primarily. I can name guys but it’s just a fools errand. We need more depth here whether you’ll admit it or not.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

209. Javon Solomon, Edge, Troy (6-0, 246)​

Solomon has a unique collection of traits in a smaller-framed body, but he is disproportionately long with the bend, burst and motor that make him a pass-rushing pest. He can play on special teams and earn a rotational role on defense, like how James Houston is deployed by the Detroit Lions.

I imagine he competes with Kingsley Jonathon for a roster spot.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Javon Solomon, YES!

I love this dude, literally had him in almost every one of my mocks.

1714246755247.png

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018

209. Javon Solomon, Edge, Troy (6-0, 246)​

Solomon has a unique collection of traits in a smaller-framed body, but he is disproportionately long with the bend, burst and motor that make him a pass-rushing pest. He can play on special teams and earn a rotational role on defense, like how James Houston is deployed by the Detroit Lions.

I imagine he competes with Kingsley Jonathon for a roster spot.
This I can get behind. If he was 6’2 or 6’3 he’d be a 2nd rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad