Well, now that the rebuild is over...

shanman

Jun 23, 2018

I really hope this isn't the organization's position on the matter.

considering there are rumors that we might sign Bernier and green.....and vanek....and filps i am a bit worried. If we sign all 4, i will actually be so amazed with Holland. Amazed in his ability to completely torpedo every bit of goodwill our draft just got.

But i am reserving judgement til free agency starts. If we sign all 4 players, and all 4 for MULTIPLE years, god help us all. I am confused by all the people so adament we can trade them at TDL for these amazing picks. If we are selling, it will be because we are still struggling and missing playoffs by a lot(no way holland sells if we are anywhere near the playoff race), and if that is the case these guys won't exactly have amazing stat lines probably.

But we shall see. 2 days left til D-day.

Reactions: Icegoat

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is odd... hopefully Fox Sports did this on their own accord for ratings of something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 Savage

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think Keating meant to say, "...only those who are really buzzed would think they have turned a corner."

Reactions: NickH8

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think this organization is super super high on Cholowski and Hronek. Like higher than we can really imagine.

But even with that being said, if the organization is that high where they believe they have turned the corner...why are we hearing about all these vets coming in to fill skater positions. Bernier I fully understand the need, but the Vanek, Johnson, Green, Val rumors are nonstop it feels.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
I think this organization is super super high on Cholowski and Hronek. Like higher than we can really imagine.

But even with that being said, if the organization is that high where they believe they have turned the corner...why are we hearing about all these vets coming in to fill skater positions. Bernier I fully understand the need, but the Vanek, Johnson, Green, Val rumors are nonstop it feels.
thankfully the johnson rumors seem to have been killed by the fact that he is signing with Pittsburgh. But yeah there is a lot of rumors going on right now. Im just hoping they know something about things we haven't heard about. Maybe an unfortunate hank LTIR, or perhaps a nyquist trade in the works, or perhaps a weird daley/ddk/ericsson trade we don't know about haha.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
You guys suck, I choose to be optimistic. We're gonna see a lot of good development and be a playoff bubble team this year. From there we're only going to get better and start competing for Cups in 2 or 3 years. Somewhere along the line we're gonna do a blockbuster deal for a solid #1D that's gonna make all the difference.

Yeah go Red Wings go, prove your fans wrong!

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
You guys suck, I choose to be optimistic. We're gonna see a lot of good development and be a playoff bubble team this year. From there we're only going to get better and start competing for Cups in 2 or 3 years. Somewhere along the line we're gonna do a blockbuster deal for a solid #1D that's gonna make all the difference.

i was very optimistic after the draft haha. Im starting to get brought back to earth by some of these rumors haha.

Reactions: Icegoat

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I'll try to put into words how I approach my fandom.

I talk armchair GM with an aggressive rebuild approach. Draft the best talent you possibly can. Promote youth quickly, stay away from unnecessary high cost, high term contracts to players over 27.

Once the season starts, I want everyone to have career years, whether it's a bunch of 40 year olds or a bunch of teenagers. I will never root for the Wings to lose. Ever. At the end of the year, if we are sitting bottom 5, I won't be mad though. Because nothing builds up suspense like anticipating the lottery and getting to pick another player like Zadina.

Everything is positive for me once we get down to actual hockey.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
And hear I thought FSD was going to say they are going to suck again next year, don’t bother watching....

Yeah, this is pretty unsurprising media silliness. Though I'm surprised they're playing the 'turned the corner' narrative, that realistically only has legs until November, instead of the 'we have some fairly exciting players to watch for once' narrative, that, as long as Zadina makes the team and Larkin/Mantha are healthy, is probably true for most of the season.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
What's up with Matt Puempel? Former first rounder, 25 y/o, had prob his best season last year. Never seen him play, so not sure if career AHL or if there is a solid change of scenery trade.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Some of you folks are so fickle. You really expect the organization to come out and say they will suck next year?

Come on people let's use some business sense here. FSD TV ratings for the wings tanked hard last season. Pretty sure coming out and saying they will suck again this year will not help increase ratings. it's all about drumming up excitement and hype so that casual fans may be more likely to tune into games

A fluff piece by fsd does nothing to sway my opinion (good or bad) of the direction of the organization.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
Some of you folks are so fickle. You really expect the organization to come out and say they will suck next year?

Come on people let's use some business sense here. FSD TV ratings for the wings tanked hard last season. Pretty sure coming out and saying they will suck again this year will not help increase ratings. it's all about drumming up excitement and hype so that casual fans may be more likely to tune into games

A fluff piece by fsd does nothing to sway my opinion (good or bad) of the direction of the organization.
i think we will know a lot more in a couple of days. We go out and sign bernier (which is prob the one decision that would be 90 percent agreed with-and if not people would just pick a different free agent goalie), green, vanek, AND filps then it might seem wings management is still living in a La-la land.

But as people have mentioned here, id feel a lot better if they were hyping the dynamic youngsters angle and not the end of the tunnel of rebuild angle.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

You can hype guys like Larkin and Mantha to salvage ticket sales without claiming that the team is officially back on their way up. That's just going to be egg on their face once it's clear that particular milestone hasn't been reached yet.

Does it change my opinion on the organization? No. It just makes FSN look like they don't know what they're talking about.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Do you ever post anything where you're not trying to act like you're better than other fans?

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I'll try to put into words how I approach my fandom.

I talk armchair GM with an aggressive rebuild approach. Draft the best talent you possibly can. Promote youth quickly, stay away from unnecessary high cost, high term contracts to players over 27.

Once the season starts, I want everyone to have career years, whether it's a bunch of 40 year olds or a bunch of teenagers. I will never root for the Wings to lose. Ever. At the end of the year, if we are sitting bottom 5, I won't be mad though. Because nothing builds up suspense like anticipating the lottery and getting to pick another player like Zadina.

Everything is positive for me once we get down to actual hockey.

This is a pretty fair approach to have.

I’m obviously always trying to be optimistic about this team. I still believe if we beat Chicago in 2012 we would’ve had a really good chance to win the cup that year.

I still believe the TB series were a lot closer than most people realize despite the scores showing otherwise.

I always want the team to succeed. I think this year especially will give us a potrayal of the younger guys. Either they’ll stall out or they’ll improve. If guys like Larkin, Mantha, and if Zadina and Rasmussen surprise (if they play), the team will be a lot more competitive. And ultimately they may impact the standings negatively which might give us a worse off draft pick. I honestly hope they have big years and compete for the playoffs. Idc.

Of course it’s too early too tell prior to FA.

Reactions: Oddbob

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I've seen other organizations do it in recent years. Off the top of my head Toronto and the Rangers. As for my expectations, I expect the organization to treat Wings fans like they know hockey.

Wings fans,

We know it's been a difficult stretch as a fan. There will be more difficulties ahead. We've watched legendary players retire, and while this is never easy, it brings new faces into the fold. Champions are not created overnight. We believe the next great generation of Red Wings is with us now. We work tirelessly to assemble a team that is build for the NHL in front of us, not the one behind us. And while these players may not hoist the Cup next year, we hope you'll join us in watching them grow into their new roles as leaders and ambassadors for what Red Wings hockey means. We don't know where the finish line is yet, but we think it's closer today than yesterday. And momentum has a way of getting you there faster than you anticipated.

All my best,

Vice President of Positive but Realistic Press Releases
Dr. Benchworth III, Esq., Lord of Rivendell, Master of his Domain, Creator of the Snuggie, and Assistant to the General Manager

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->