Post-Game Talk: Welcome Back Kadri ❤ [6-3 Leafs vs Caps]

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We have to avoid the bruins at all costs. It is much better to finish WC and get Tampa. The bruins play a style of game that we don't match up well against. It is our systems and personnel that don't match up. Babs should follow Habs and Bruins close to see how things play out. But the good news is this losing streak helped us better manage that situation.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Another thing. People who don't understand why some say that Marincin is an NHLer should rewatch this game and look at his shift. The guy absolutely suffocates teams along the blueline. In one shift, he caused three failed entries for them in a row. Things like that goes a long way to weigh up his flaws.

Agreed. I didn’t think we would see Marincin in the NHL again as a Leaf after last season but he’s been surprisingly good this year whenever he’s featured.

Does a lot of little things well. He reminds me of Hal Gill, but a better version with the puck.

Reactions: PromisedLand

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'd love a Montreal series. Full credit to them for playing way better than I thought they would this year. It would make a good series, and I wouldn't at all be shocked to see them hang with us and then some. They are a hungry team.

But I totally agree. Do not want the Bruins again a) because they annoyingly have our number and 2) because I'm just plain sick of the Bruins. :laugh:

I totally agree. A matchup with Montreal would be a dream. Not only would it turn the heat up on the rivalry, but we tend to play them well to boot.

I would rater lose a toe than face the Bruins in round one again. Same as you, it's not just because they have our number. But I know a few Bruins fans, and they are just insufferable about beating the Leafs. I can't handle even the possibility.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Zaitsev without Gardiner or Gardiner without Zaitsev is a good dman?
Im done with JG because his hockey iq is close to zero but I like Zaitsev but not with JG. :nod:

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
didn't hear too many people last night saying boy we needed Gardiner last night. I think Dermott played the #2 LD spot really good last night behind Reilly. I know Babs is stubborn but when Gards gets back I would put him with OZ and shelter him in the 3rd pairing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
As giddy as we are are beating the Caps, we still required Andersen to stop 40 shots, many clear open looks. Without Freddy we probably lose this game.

The Leafs are prone to give up grade A scoring opportunities and Freddy saves the day.

Leafs are built to outscore their mistakes when Freddy isn't saving their bacon.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
didn't hear too many people last night saying boy we needed Gardiner last night. I think Dermott played the #2 LD spot really good last night behind Reilly. I know Babs is stubborn but when Gards gets back I would put him with OZ and shelter him in the 3rd pairing.

We really need more than 2 top 4 Dmen. So until something drastically changes, we absolutely need Gardiner!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Leafs are prone to give up grade A scoring opportunities and Freddy saves the day.

Leafs are built to outscore their mistakes when Freddy isn't saving their bacon.
He was excellent last night.

I always had my doubts about the goalie but I'm starting to believe he can be a goalie they can win with.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Thought Oz was quite good last night, which is encouraging given he wasn't playing with Travis.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
So we are on pace for 204 PP opportunities for the season. Easily the lowest for any team going back to 1990.
saw many chances to call penalties against the Caps. So much interference when our speedy forwards drive by the D or chip and chase with tons of hold up. Kuznestov handed our D behind the net with a decent slash no call.

I don't get what the NHL has instructed their refs to call maybe they said the Leafs PP is so good to holdoff and make it fair by not calling stuff against the opposition.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Has to be style of play, given the long sample size.

Never seen a lot of penalties called in figure skating events. ;)

I thought however after Kadri unloaded that hit, that it might have lite a fuse, but Washington didn't take the bait. I kept waiting for retaliation penalties from the Caps from players like Wilson and Smith-Pelly but it never happened and in fact none of the Caps wanted to engage.

Generally the Leafs don't initiate a lot of physical contact, so its more skating and less penalties.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think Gardiner and Hainsey pairing would work best;

Hainsey does his thing in the D-zone; good positionally and would help Jake IMO
It all depends on if we get a legit top 4 D.
If we got someone like Pesce, you could go:
Rielly...Pesce
Gardiner...Hainsey
Dermott...Zaitsev/Oz

Now next year you have the option to move Zaitsev to re-sign Gardiner if he’s the one you keep out of the 2. Dermott/Oz remain the 3rd pair and consider Hainsey again at lower salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad