Post-Game Talk: Welcome Back Kadri ❤ [6-3 Leafs vs Caps]

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Brown-Kadri-Nylander line was fantastic. Nylander is back, Kadri is back, and Brown was clicking with both of them.

Matthews was an absolute horse all night. One of the best games he's played in the last two months. Constantly battling through tons of defensive coverage and still managed to create lots of chances. If he keeps playing like that he's going to go on a real nice hot streak soon. He and Marner looked good together, but I would have looked good on Matthews wing last night, that's how good he was.

I am buying whatever Trevor Moore is selling. He is a good player, his speed is absolutely fantastic and he creates offense when he's on the ice.

Dermott is the real deal. He is so, so good.
Lots of good players last night. I thought Tavares was the best Leaf last night, Andersen was excellent too.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Big win for the Leafs Naz and Willie really came to play in this one.

Best game of the year for both players.

Leafs played a real solid game all around and this was nice heading into the break.

Reactions: The Kessel Run

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I am buying whatever Trevor Moore is selling. He is a good player, his speed is absolutely fantastic and he creates offense when he's on the ice.

I admit, I was skeptical about the Trevor Moore love prior to being called up, but he's sold me. I hope he sticks around.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kadri needs someone to carry the puck, and Brown brings a little of Hyman's grit, with more skill.
Nylander was moving the puck rather than trying to dangle with it.

Only one game, but the Marleau-Kadri-Marner line was effective last year, because Marner carries the puck, so if they want to stick with last night's lines for a while to see if they work, I'll be fine with it.

I always thought when you sign a Tavares, he should be good enough to carry his own line, give him some top 6 wingers and he should be fine.

Can't say I was overwhelmed with the Matthews-Marner line, although they may have received the harder match-ups, they competed, but didn't finish.

Reactions: Duffman955

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Another thing. People who don't understand why some say that Marincin is an NHLer should rewatch this game and look at his shift. The guy absolutely suffocates teams along the blueline. In one shift, he caused three failed entries for them in a row. Things like that goes a long way to weigh up his flaws.

He's pretty much a ticking time bomb with the puck sometimes but he was damn efficient out there like you said. He made some damn good passes out of the zone, but he also made a couple really bad ones. Also had a couple good shots from the point.

People won't like it, but he would be a smart signing if the Leafs could bring him back cheap to play for a spot.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Another thing. People who don't understand why some say that Marincin is an NHLer should rewatch this game and look at his shift. The guy absolutely suffocates teams along the blueline. In one shift, he caused three failed entries for them in a row. Things like that goes a long way to weigh up his flaws.

I noticed him breaking up several plays, too. A couple of times he lost the puck or had it stripped, positioned himself to get it back only to give it away again.
I think a lot of it is timing and everything going so fast because he hasn’t had opportunities to play. Once he adapts and the game slows down, he’ll be OK.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Just seeing the fire in Naz again is great to see. He threw a nice hit and was really engaged. Nylander was driving play all night and Connor Brown fit nicely on the line (good screen on Z's goal, nice shot on Naz's third, generally solid play).

Matty and JTs lines both looked great in the offensive zone. Still think Matthews is a bit passive in the D zone, waiting for the puck to spring free. 4th line looked okay, however Moore was flying out there.

Win or lose, that's the kind of team play I love to watch.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hope the standings stay like this. I want Montreal first round. LONG overdue

Bos is ahead of MTL by PTS% but whatever, let's call it a virtual tie. I definitely have my eye on these teams, very interested to say the least. And yes, I want MTL, I've wanted them for about 40 years now but not as badly as I want to avoid Boston.

No offense to Montreal, but anything would be better than facing the Bruins again. I'd feel sick for weeks before the series even started.

Well, we probably wouldn't know that our opponent would be Boston for that long in advance but I know what you mean, just the possibility of it happening makes me a bit sick today and it's only January.

Reactions: zaqq

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I've never seen anyone so good without the puck, while being so terrible with it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

It's like the Gardiner story - people focus on a few bad plays, their minds are made up and the bigger picture ceases to exist for them.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I was expecting to see OV out against Matthews more often because of Leafs line-up changes but he ended up more often against Tavares instead.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
To be honest, I haven’t minded Marincin this season.

Rielly - - - Dermott
Gardiner - Hainsey
Marincin - Zaitsev

Wouldn’t be too bad​

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Matty and Marner would be fine playing together. When you drop a boat anchor on their wing for most shifts then they will be a little less effective. It is very clear Babs is trying to find a place to store Marleau this season. Last year he was still effective and it helped Kadri. This year age has caught up. It was gonna happen. You saw what happened last night when the boat anchor was taken off Kadri's line. It flourished. JT will be effective with whoever he plays with he always has been with Isle. Again if you put the boat anchor with him he will be a little less effective. I think Babs was hoping that Matty and Marner would be enough to totally offset the boat anchor and no one would notice. Bottom line the only place left for the future HOFer is 4th line LW or a scratch. It is gonna happen it is only a question of timing. I feel bad for Marleau. The end is never fun.

Reactions: TMLS

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
No offense to Montreal, but anything would be better than facing the Bruins again. I'd feel sick for weeks before the series even started.

I'd love a Montreal series. Full credit to them for playing way better than I thought they would this year. It would make a good series, and I wouldn't at all be shocked to see them hang with us and then some. They are a hungry team.

But I totally agree. Do not want the Bruins again a) because they annoyingly have our number and 2) because I'm just plain sick of the Bruins. :laugh:

Reactions: zaqq

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
To be honest, I haven’t minded Marincin this season.

Rielly - - - Dermott
Gardiner - Hainsey
Marincin - Zaitsev

Wouldn’t be too bad​

I actually like this idea short term, and then pick up a RHD to play with Rielly and bump Dermott down with Zaitsev, sending Marincin back to the #7/8 slot.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I actually like this idea short term, and then pick up a RHD to play with Rielly and bump Dermott down with Zaitsev, sending Marincin back to the #7/8 slot.
Yupp, exactly! Still think we’re going to see Pesce (or a similar player) in a leafs jersey sooner than later. Hopefully something around Johnsson and a 1st (++) can get it done!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad