Post-Game Talk: Welcome Back Kadri ❤ [6-3 Leafs vs Caps]

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Rielly's puck movement and puck rushing gave us a huge boost freeing up the forwards to attack.

Hes been underappreciated recently, But I feel like he has been the best defensemen the leafs have had in many, many years
Rielly is never underappreciated here. He is appreciated just right in my books.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Couple of things I noticed

Not that there were a lot of power plays in the game but just like other good teams the opposite coach plays his stars almost the entire power play where Babcock gives our guys about 45 seconds and then changes

Nice to see nylander have a good game hope he can build on this

I hope Matthews and marner can stay together for the rest of the year

Trevor Moore showed lots of hustle and high hockey IQ

Gardiner should be traded we can’t lose another player for nothing. We need those assets to get players on entry level contracts when Matthews and marner gets paid

Tavares should be the captain. He could have had a hat trick himself but holtby stoned him

When Freddy is on he is vezina material

Kappy is too good to ever think about trading him

I’d like to see some grit added to the defense just to clear the net

And finally

Ovi is a great player but what was he thinking. He played against us in Toronto and picked his suspended game to be the next game against. Calgary at home. Was he trying to pad his stats because he thought we are struggling whereas Calgary have been playing great all year. I really like his assist on marners goal

Reactions: ThewThew

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
great game by our boys, no disappointing players tonight.
Good way to go into the break, on an up beat, imagine how the Caps will be tearing themselves apart for the next weak!
Well done!!!

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Ovi is a great player but what was he thinking. He played against us in Toronto and picked his suspended game to be the next game against. Calgary at home. Was he trying to pad his stats because he thought we are struggling whereas Calgary have been playing great all year. I really like his assist on marners goal

I'm thinking that he wanted to help end the losing streak, and knew that the Leafs were mired in a slump too and that this was the time to do it.
Apart from the occasional cheap shot he takes, I love him as a player, and he has shown some serious class like when the Russian team skated off the ice at that international tournament before the handshaking or something and he and a half dozen other players stayed on.
Future Hall of Famer for sure.
And he played decent goalie last night too!!!

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
I thought Marincin had a good game along with Kadri and Willy. I still think he could be a good d man with his long reach,Solid penalty killing. He also shoots the puck a lot which is nice to see. Wish he had more foot speed and could handle the puck a little better but he’s a serviceable bottom pairing D.
I wonder what a Rosen Marincin pairing would look like next year?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think maybe he should be the next Captain, not a slight to Matthews but sometimes it really should be the big skilled vet.
If Matthews signs a 5 year deal ... Tavares might get it.

8 year deal ... i think Matthews gets it.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Couple of things I noticed

Not that there were a lot of power plays in the game but just like other good teams the opposite coach plays his stars almost the entire power play where Babcock gives our guys about 45 seconds and then changes

Nice to see nylander have a good game hope he can build on this

I hope Matthews and marner can stay together for the rest of the year

Trevor Moore showed lots of hustle and high hockey IQ

Gardiner should be traded we can’t lose another player for nothing. We need those assets to get players on entry level contracts when Matthews and marner gets paid

Tavares should be the captain. He could have had a hat trick himself but holtby stoned him

When Freddy is on he is vezina material

Kappy is too good to ever think about trading him

I’d like to see some grit added to the defense just to clear the net

And finally

He obviously chose this game because we're in the same conference and Washington is slumping. It was the better game to pick.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
If Matthews signs a 5 year deal ... Tavares might get it.

8 year deal ... i think Matthews gets it.

That's true... never thought of it that way.

I have to think it'll be max 8 years with Matthews. Hopefully in the JT range but probably not. If it's 8 he'll get the C.

Marner no clue at this point. If were lucky ... no more then 10.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
That's true... never thought of it that way.

I have to think it'll be max 8 years with Matthews. Hopefully in the JT range but probably not. If it's 8 he'll get the C.

Marner no clue at this point. If were lucky ... no more then 10.

Matthews and Marner need to be promised slush money after the game. Especially Marner.

They have to understand the long term play. They'll only be playing hockey for so long.

If they help win a cup they can make Maple Leaf money until they are 80. I'll buy my next Porsche from Matthew's dealership.

Reactions: taurine330 and Al14

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
We beat up a struggling Capitals team. Let's not forget the teams who crush our D and the teams the refs aren't allowed to call penalties on.

Reactions: Al14

RLF

May 5, 2014
Complete game by Kadri. Glad to see him rewarded.
Glad to see Willy get some points. Good on him.
Glad to see the PP give some different looks and score instead of just give it to Mitch on the right wall.
Freddie was his usual self.
Took advantage of a struggling team, like we should.

Reactions: Al14

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
I think one thing I've started to notice is that Zaitsev is better with the puck as he touches it more frequently throughout the game. When the game plan isn't "pass to the LD or rim it" as your two options, I start to notice that Zaitsev does have better puck handling skills than originally thought. Also allows him to not get shots blocked because he is thinking his best play is to just shoot it from the point every time. Solid game from him minus the ugly TO

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Matthews and Marner need to be promised slush money after the game. Especially Marner.

They have to understand the long term play. They'll only be playing hockey for so long.

If they help win a cup they can make Maple Leaf money until they are 80. I'll buy my next Porsche from Matthew's dealership.

Agreed. I don't know if they can be convinced of that, but if you want to win a cup... cutting a little off the top will go a long way to surrounding yourself with better supporting players.

In turn helping you win more, probably get a few extra points
.. and eventually on their 3rd contract.
. Even more money.

It's funny but I feel like Matthews is more on board with this idea.

But I guess maybe Marner just wants to see what Matthews gets first.

If Dubas get him under 11.5 or so... I'd say big win for him, and it keeps marner hopefully around 10 something.

I could never afford a Porsche though lol

Maybe a used car.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
IST period and a haLf we weren't skating .
We played a period and a half of great hockey.

Glad to see Nylander and Kadri contribute.

Our dzone coverage sucks . Defenceman and forwards look like they have no clue of positioning such a tire fire. I don't know if it is coaching hustle smarts or physical play but it has been our issue for far to long. It needs to be fixed before we are considered a challenger in the playoffs.

That’s what I saw too. Zaitsev, Dermott and Marincin, in particularly, we’re not very good in their own zone.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Trevor Moore has an impact on the game that a few Leaf players don't.

When Johnsson comes back, he needs to stay in the lineup. Brown or Lindholm out.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Good win and the team was solid overall. We still give up way too much defensively (40+ shots in regulation). My biggest frustration is that Babcock needed to break apart the best line Toronto has, a group that has been dynamic together all season, because Matthews (who is supposed to be a top 5 NHL player) couldn't carry his own line... It might wind up being a move that is better for the team in the long run and if that's the case, so be it, but man does that suck. Tavares and Marner are having career seasons together and you're forced to break them up so that Matthew's will stop sulking and play with some pace and effort...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Caps look pretty disinterested, I guess the Stanley Cup hangover has hit.
They need to get back to the heavier game, it's a big part of what made them successful.
Wilson has little impact playing the way he did. Looks like he found a pulse at the end but it was too late.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm sure Nylander and Kadri is getting a lot of love right now, but I'd like to make a shoutout to Brown. That was maybe his best game in two years. He looked dynamic, that kind of hard-working complementary player who can still make plays that we wished Hyman was.

With that said, I think a lot of that has to do with the Caps. Brown's biggest problem is that he can never get himself space and time to make those plays, he's not strong or elusive enough, but Caps were giving up a lot of ice for us to just skate into. Once that happened, Brown showed that he can move the puck.

Reactions: LeafGrief

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The Brown-Kadri-Nylander line was fantastic. Nylander is back, Kadri is back, and Brown was clicking with both of them.

Matthews was an absolute horse all night. One of the best games he's played in the last two months. Constantly battling through tons of defensive coverage and still managed to create lots of chances. If he keeps playing like that he's going to go on a real nice hot streak soon. He and Marner looked good together, but I would have looked good on Matthews wing last night, that's how good he was.

I am buying whatever Trevor Moore is selling. He is a good player, his speed is absolutely fantastic and he creates offense when he's on the ice.

Dermott is the real deal. He is so, so good.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm sure Nylander and Kadri is getting a lot of love right now, but I'd like to make a shoutout to Brown. That was maybe his best game in two years. He looked dynamic, that kind of hard-working complementary player who can still make plays that we wished Hyman was.

With that said, I think a lot of that has to do with the Caps. Brown's biggest problem is that he can never get himself space and time to make those plays, he's not strong or elusive enough, but Caps were giving up a lot of ice for us to just skate into. Once that happened, Brown showed that he can move the puck.

Brown has always had good chemistry with Kadri too. He was gobbling up all the space that the Caps were offering, and his triggerman was finally able to bury some. Brown's setup on the second Kadri goal was fantastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad