Post-Game Talk: Welcome Back Kadri ❤ [6-3 Leafs vs Caps]

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Couple of things I noticed

Not that there were a lot of power plays in the game but just like other good teams the opposite coach plays his stars almost the entire power play where Babcock gives our guys about 45 seconds and then changes

Nice to see nylander have a good game hope he can build on this

I hope Matthews and marner can stay together for the rest of the year

Trevor Moore showed lots of hustle and high hockey IQ

Gardiner should be traded we can’t lose another player for nothing. We need those assets to get players on entry level contracts when Matthews and marner gets paid

Tavares should be the captain. He could have had a hat trick himself but holtby stoned him

When Freddy is on he is vezina material

Kappy is too good to ever think about trading him

I’d like to see some grit added to the defense just to clear the net

And finally

Ovi is a great player but what was he thinking. He played against us in Toronto and picked his suspended game to be the next game against. Calgary at home. Was he trying to pad his stats because he thought we are struggling whereas Calgary have been playing great all year. I really like his assist on marners goal

do other teams have a player like marleau who makes his team mates better by just walking by them

come on get with the program

;)

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It all depends on if we get a legit top 4 D.
If we got someone like Pesce, you could go:
Rielly...Pesce
Gardiner...Hainsey
Dermott...Zaitsev/Oz

Now next year you have the option to move Zaitsev to re-sign Gardiner if he’s the one you keep out of the 2. Dermott/Oz remain the 3rd pair and consider Hainsey again at lower salary.

If you don't offer Kappy for Pesce I do not see a deal. Canes looking for top 6 forward. That would be Kappy, Nylander or Kadri IMO. I think Muzzin is a logical target as it will/may not cost us a roster player. I do not know what the cost of Gudas would be but our D would look much better with both Muzzin and Gudas. A power forward who can play would be a bonus but if the boys can play at a high level in the playoffs perhaps we can get by without one or we go after Maroon for a 3rd.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I actually like this idea short term, and then pick up a RHD to play with Rielly and bump Dermott down with Zaitsev, sending Marincin back to the #7/8 slot.

or how about

Rielly xxx
Dermott Zaitsev
Hainsey Oz
Marincin

Get something for our pending UFA; and may be flip that with more additions to fill in the xxx spot

:yo:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Agreed. I didn’t think we would see Marincin in the NHL again as a Leaf after last season but he’s been surprisingly good this year whenever he’s featured.

Does a lot of little things well. He reminds me of Hal Gill, but a better version with the puck.

credit Keefe with his development and confidence and the calder cup run

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If you don't offer Kappy for Pesce I do not see a deal. Canes looking for top 6 forward. That would be Kappy, Nylander or Kadri IMO. I think Muzzin is a logical target as it will/may not cost us a roster player. I do not know what the cost of Gudas would be but our D would look much better with both Muzzin and Gudas. A power forward who can play would be a bonus but if the boys can play at a high level in the playoffs perhaps we can get by without one or we go after Maroon for a 3rd.
Interesting.
I wonder if a legit top 4 D was available and the ask was 1 of:
1. Kadri
2. Nylander
3. Kapanen

who people would choose.
I would guess Kapanen would be the player most often not chosen.

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
I totally agree. A matchup with Montreal would be a dream. Not only would it turn the heat up on the rivalry, but we tend to play them well to boot.

I would rater lose a toe than face the Bruins in round one again. Same as you, it's not just because they have our number. But I know a few Bruins fans, and they are just insufferable about beating the Leafs. I can't handle even the possibility.
but if we lost I would have to delete my dad from my phone

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Interesting.
1. Kadri
2. Nylander
3. Kapanen

who people would choose.

I think you have the correct order. I would put Nylander ahead of Kadri if the cap is an issue after AM and MM sign.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Interesting.
1. Kadri
2. Nylander
3. Kapanen

who people would choose.

I would be glad to trade Kapanen or Nylander, with a plus on either of them, for a legit top 4 defender. Kadri is the one I wouldn't trade.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Not sure. You would think a top team with fast players would draw more penalties and take less.

It's the blatant missed calls that drives me nuts.
First shift, Matthews high sticked in the face, no call. Then we get the weakest call against a few mins after.
Coupe games ago, JT cross checked twice in the mouth, right in front of 2 refs watching the puck carrier (JT) and no call.

Refs in every league get treated as gods. You can talk shit about any other team, coach, or your own players, but dare say 1 negative thing against a ref and you are fined.

Tim Donaghy was immune to people calling him out for years. He didn't even step down until the FBI was about to release the report. The NBA did absolutely nothing when it was blatantly obvious for many years that he was as dirty as they come.

Refs need some accountability, they can nearly do anything, with next to no repercussions.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Interesting.
1. Kadri
2. Nylander
3. Kapanen

who people would choose.

Dubas is an idiot if he trades one of Nylander/Marner/Kapanen....the team has only two legit scoring NHL wingers if he does that and to be successful, you need a minimum of three. He'd be dumb if he traded one of them without replacement (and no Johnsson and Moore aren't replacements yet until they prove it). You can't fix defence while f***ing up the wing.

And with how much of a lack of good offensive system this team has (see button-hooking in the corner and then passing to the blueline constantly), this team needs all the offensive skill it can get because we use individual skill to win games more than anything.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
Marealu is worse than Hyman. Both shouldnt be no where near the top 6. Just call up AHLers if you have to and they will be better than these 2.

Reactions: Erdinger

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Not sure. You would think a top team with fast players would draw more penalties and take less.
We've all seen blatant muggings on Leafs players that the refs have ignored and then called some pathetically weak hooking penalty a couple of minutes later on the Leafs. The Leafs,Caps and Montreal are the only top teams with less power plays than times shorthanded. Boston for instance is +18 in this category. I know Jeremy Jacobs runs the NHL but how can a team that interferes so much have a stat like that?

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Kadri carrying Nylander to some points finally.
I thought Willie was skating, being creative and was altogether deserving of being named one of three stars. As one commentator said; his biggest strength is carrying the puck into the opponents zone, not just dumping it in like so many. And as others have mentioned, it’s about this time that his legs and timing come back

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We've all seen blatant muggings on Leafs players that the refs have ignored and then called some pathetically weak hooking penalty a couple of minutes later on the Leafs. The Leafs,Caps and Montreal are the only top teams with less power plays than times shorthanded. Boston for instance is +18 in this category. I know Jeremy Jacobs runs the NHL but how can a team that interferes so much have a stat like that?
Because Bettman has many deals in place. Bettman knows that Toronto and Montreal are always full houses and those 2 teams make more then any other teams in league. Do you not think it is really weird that a Canadian team has not won the Cup since 1993? Yet we produce the lions share of league profits. When something smells this fishy there is probably a good reason for it. I for one do not trust him as far as I can see him. He is a lawyer from NYC about all that needs to be said.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dubas is an idiot if he trades one of Nylander/Marner/Kapanen....the team has only two legit scoring NHL wingers if he does that and to be successful, you need a minimum of three. He'd be dumb if he traded one of them without replacement (and no Johnsson and Moore aren't replacements yet until they prove it). You can't fix defence while ****ing up the wing.

And with how much of a lack of good offensive system this team has (see button-hooking in the corner and then passing to the blueline constantly), this team needs all the offensive skill it can get because we use individual skill to win games more than anything.

Dubas has said he is not trading Kappy. Marner will probably lead the team is scoring for a second straight year and unless his negotiations reach a stalemate he is going no where. Nylander is a luxury and could be moved for a much needed dman if the Leafs decided there is a bigger need for a dman. or the cap cripples the team.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
I thought Willie was skating, being creative and was altogether deserving of being named one of three stars. As one commentator said; his biggest strength is carrying the puck into the opponents zone, not just dumping it in like so many. And as others have mentioned, it’s about this time that his legs and timing come back

I agree. I thought it was easily one of his top 3 games since coming back. I was being sarcastic, probably not could have used an emotion or two.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Overall I'm quite happy with the win and most of all the players who badly needed to bust out of their slumps were able to do so (Matthews, Kadri, Nylander, hell even Zaitsev). That being said, I hope we can clean up defensively. The Leafs and Caps played a bit of run and gun last night, and although the Leafs generally come out on top when teams trade chances like last night, they will have to be a lot tighter with teams that are more defensively responsible. There were some close calls last night and Freddy did a great job of bailing out the team. Hopefully after the break they'll play a more complete, responsible game.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Overall I'm quite happy with the win and most of all the players who badly needed to bust out of their slumps were able to do so (Matthews, Kadri, Nylander, hell even Zaitsev). That being said, I hope we can clean up defensively. The Leafs and Caps played a bit of run and gun last night, and although the Leafs generally come out on top when teams trade chances like last night, they will have to be a lot tighter with teams that are more defensively responsible. There were some close calls last night and Freddy did a great job of bailing out the team. Hopefully after the break they'll play a more complete, responsible game.
I'd rather play games like that and win 6-3 than tighten everything up and lose 2-1 like the leafs were doing

Reactions: Warden of the North

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'd rather play games like that and win 6-3 than tighten everything up and lose 2-1 like the leafs were doing
My point was being able to be versatile... games like last night don't really happen that often down the stretch and especially in the playoffs against the good teams because they won't allow it, that was a very high event game and both teams were extremely loose defensively. And even though the Leafs outpossessed the Caps, the Caps actually had 60% of the high danger scoring chances..Andersen was way better than Holtby last night though and that made a huge difference. The Leafs can certainly win games like this because of their sheer talent but against more low event teams like Boston it's going to cost them if they are this sloppy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->