Pre-Game Talk: Week to get Frostbite (@VAN, @EDM, @WPG)

Which of the injured will play this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's only worth counting the hot streak if you think that the hot streak is the new normal for him. If you look at Bernier's history, he has never maintained that level of play for long. If you believe he'll keep it up, more power to you, but goalies don't get by on hot streaks.

This is why there is a difference between a starter's workload and a backup's workload. Varly has been pretty average this season, but he did that as the starter, Bernier has done it as a backup. If you can't see the difference, I can't help you. We'll see what happens when Varly comes back, but I bet you he will resume starter duties immediately, although probably with lighter duty to protect his health.

Bernier had a 55 game season where he maintained a .923 Sv % and a 58 game season where he maintained a .912. Those are the only two seasons where he was a full time starter and he maintained play around his overall play for this season. Yeah he is on a streak now that won't last, but he's shown he can hover around league average.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's only worth counting the hot streak if you think that the hot streak is the new normal for him. If you look at Bernier's history, he has never maintained that level of play for long. If you believe he'll keep it up, more power to you, but goalies don't get by on hot streaks.

This is why there is a difference between a starter's workload and a backup's workload. Varly has been pretty average this season, but he did that as the starter, Bernier has done it as a backup. If you can't see the difference, I can't help you. We'll see what happens when Varly comes back, but I bet you he will resume starter duties immediately, although probably with lighter duty to protect his health.
I don't get why you're discounting Bernier's play during our 10-2 stretch but not discounting Varlamov's play this season as well. Their career numbers are very similar. Bernie has been a starter in the past and has posted numbers similar to Varlamov's.

At this point in time given Varlamov's health, his inconsistent play, and Bernier's performance the last month, it'd be asinine to give the net back to Varlamov.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
AJ says Mackinnon flew with the team to Edmonton last night so I guess that's something. I don't know how it works for certain but if there was 100% damage done that would keep him out for an extended period wouldn't he go directly back to Denver?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Remember when ROR hurt his shoulder celebrating a goal? Weird things can happen and they are not always serious.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Andrighetto is "day to day" but he was placed on Injured reserve so if Mackinnon is not placed on IR I think it probably is not that serious. But I hope he heals up because I am assuming he will need that upper body to score goals!

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Sounds like Dario got his info from the Bednar morning show on altitude.

I'm guessing here but speculate that early indications were (via X-rays -if there's a machine in the Rogers Arena - pretty sure that's std equipment in NHL rinks these days) nothing's broken..... I.e.; collarbone (clavicle). Or likely separated (scapula). But they would need to do an MRI to probe deeper and that probably wasn't available to the Avs w/o leaving Nate behind in Vancouver.

There's probably some swelling by this point and that needs to abate. I'm betting he has restricted movement. It would be interesting to see if his arm is in a sling or not. That would partially indicate the level of seriousness.

Any reporter with team access should be able to ascertain that by just watching Nate get on and off the bus but alas, it seems like no one covers this team directly (beat writer?) anymore.

Still it's positive they didn't leave him behind or fly him directly back to Denver.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Any reporter with team access should be able to ascertain that by just watching Nate get on and off the bus but alas, it seems like no one covers this team directly (beat writer?) anymore.

On BSN's podcast last night Dater said he spent most of the third period cruising the halls trying to get a glimpse of Mack but couldn't find him anywhere. Dater also traveled to Edmonton so maybe he'll sneak at peak at some point.

I'm just happy it's starting to sound like he didn't break his collarbone. Really looked like he did in the replays.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Also, do we know what's wrong with Nieto? I really hope it's not long term because I fear Bednar is going to stick Gabriel Bourque on that line with Soderberg and Comeau like he did last night and give him nearly 16 minutes.

Reactions: cgf

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Mckenzie saying they hope its a week or less but more testing to be done. I can live with that but if its longer term, im back on team tank

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Also, do we know what's wrong with Nieto? I really hope it's not long term because I fear Bednar is going to stick Gabriel Bourque on that line with Soderberg and Comeau like he did last night and give him nearly 16 minutes.

I think Bednar said something about getting hit by a puck in morning skate. Looked fine at first, wasn't so fine at gametime. Another day2day minor "scratch" which probably keeps him out of the lineup for 3+ weeks - the Avs way, you know.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
On BSN's podcast last night Dater said he spent most of the third period cruising the halls trying to get a glimpse of Mack but couldn't find him anywhere. Dater also traveled to Edmonton so maybe he'll sneak at peak at some point.

I'm just happy it's starting to sound like he didn't break his collarbone. Really looked like he did in the replays.

Agree. The point of impact and Nates reaction on the bench had me thinking the same thing. Pretty familiar with the injury having coached hockey for so long.......

So, who does Dater work for anyways????

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Of course MacKinnon is out the game I'm going to. BTW what's the best chance to get an autograph? Will he be hanging around Rogers since he's not playing?

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Go to their hotel, I heard athletes love that.

And don't forget to bring a Vuvuzela - everybody loves them. :box:

260px-Vuvuzela-DD.jpg

Reactions: Murzu and BrickAHL

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
BSN Exclusive: Nathan MacKinnon’s injury will keep him out, but it doesn’t seem serious – BSN Denver

EDMONTON, Alberta - If all goes well, Nathan MacKinnon should only miss a week to 10 days with a shoulder injury, BSN Denver can reveal.
Preliminary indications are that MacKinnon, the NHL's second-leading scorer with 61 points, avoided serious injury - though a firm timetable probably won't be fully determined until Friday. While losing MacKinnon for any length of time isn't good for a team on the playoff bubble, early indications are a worst-case scenario has been avoided.

Take it for as much as Dater is worth

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Guys FWIW Nate hurt his shoulder back when he was 16 with the Mooseheads and was only sidelined around a week if I remember correctly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad