Pre-Game Talk: Week to get Frostbite (@VAN, @EDM, @WPG)

Which of the injured will play this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Just saw Boeser in the shooting competition...yikes.

It’s a shame the Avs didn’t get a single game with the Canucks with Horvat out. They’re a much better team with him in. Benning and Linden may actually pull off a rebuild despite a slew of terrible moves.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm always nervous about attending games in Edmonton. I sure hope we can win all three games this week but I'm going to guess we go 1-2, the lone win coming vs Vancouver.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Let's get tore into these diddies

3-0, no goals conceded, four new skulls on Zadorov's mantelpiece

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Let's get tore into these diddies

3-0, no goals conceded, four new skulls on Zadorov's mantelpiece
Speaking of Z...did anyone listen to the latest BSN podcast? It's was possibly their best podcast yet with all 3 of AJ, Dater and Montano.

Anyway, at one point they talk about what's wrong with Zadorov not being able to process the game fast enough to stop/control the forwards' sticks around the net before they score goals, even though he's the biggest guy on the ice. It happens all the time and it seems like he's just not able to fix this issue. They talk about how this thing alone puts a cap on his potential. It was a pretty interesting analysis.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Speaking of Z...did anyone listen to the latest BSN podcast? It's was possibly their best podcast yet with all 3 of AJ, Dater and Montano.

Anyway, at one point they talk about what's wrong with Zadorov not being able to process the game fast enough to stop/control the forwards' sticks around the net before they score goals, even though he's the biggest guy on the ice. It happens all the time and it seems like he's just not able to fix this issue. They talk about how this thing alone puts a cap on his potential. It was a pretty interesting analysis.

He's an enormous man. It would be surprising if he had ninja reflexes. He plays the body so amazingly well though that I think we can forgive his stickwork around the net. It's also easy to forget that he's 22 f***ing years old. Defensive sense and stickwork aren't a lost cause. He's never going to be Ryan O'Reilly with his stick though, I'll give you that. ;)

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
He's an enormous man. It would be surprising if he had ninja reflexes. He plays the body so amazingly well though that I think we can forgive his stickwork around the net. It's also easy to forget that he's 22 ****ing years old. Defensive sense and stickwork aren't a lost cause. He's never going to be Ryan O'Reilly with his stick though, I'll give you that. ;)

ROR was special for sure, I remember that year he almost ended up with no penalties, just ended up with the playing with a broken stick penalty.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Puck watching is a helluva drug and Z is a fiend.

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
Dater reports that Barrie isn't quite ready and Barbs is still bothered with vaginities

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This team needs to get healthy ASAP. Players like Bourque, Toninato, Greer, Warsofsky, Mironov etc will come in and work as hard as they can to give something to the team but they aren't NHLers (not currently, anyways in the case of Greer). Badly need Barrie, Compher, Wilson, and Andrighetto to get healthy.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm cool with Toni or Greer keeping their spots when we get healthy.

Landy - MacK - Mikko
Nieto - Soda - Comeau
Wilson - Jost - Compher
Greer - Kerfoot - Ghetto*
Yak*

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
This team needs to get healthy ASAP. Players like Bourque, Toninato, Greer, Warsofsky, Mironov etc will come in and work as hard as they can to give something to the team but they aren't NHLers (not currently, anyways in the case of Greer). Badly need Barrie, Compher, Wilson, and Andrighetto to get healthy.

Because i (sort of) have an unreasonable dislike towards our medical stuff i believe it's highly unlikely that this will happen anytime soon. Or ever again. Ghetto now out 3+ weeks with a minor day2day thingy is just another example of their incompetence and i'm a true believer that there is a better chance that Wilson/JTC infected the rest of our roster than they are ready to play tomorrow.

On an other note: I like our roster, our GM and our HC :thumbu:

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Being out three weeks with day to day status is not indicative of a bad medical staff, it's indication of an organisation that keeps everything hush-hush. NA sports teams are notorius for giving scarce info about their players medical condition.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Landy - MacK - Mikko
Nieto - Soda - Comeau
Wilson - Jost - Compher
Yak*
Would rather Yak playing 4th line minutes than Greer. There's still something that can be done with Greer if he's given more AHL time. This is what Yak is.
Being out three weeks with day to day status is not indicative of a bad medical staff, it's indication of an organisation that keeps everything hush-hush. NA sports teams are notorius for giving scarce info about their players medical condition.
Pretty much. I've always hated teams saying "lower body injury" or "upper body injury" so as not to disclose injuries.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I've always hated teams saying "lower body injury" or "upper body injury" so as not to disclose injuries.

NHL teams don't want opponents to target injured players -- or, more specifically, the injured parts of injured players. The thinking goes that if you announce a player will miss a game because of a sore wrist, you might as well paint a bullseye on that wrist when he returns to the lineup.

Source

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
NHL teams don't want opponents to target injured players -- or, more specifically, the injured parts of injured players. The thinking goes that if you announce a player will miss a game because of a sore wrist, you might as well paint a bullseye on that wrist when he returns to the lineup.

Source
Cool. It doesn't make it any less stupid.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Source

Y'know they say that's the justification behind it but many, including Ken Hitchcock most recently, said it was complete bullshit. And I agree, I really, really doubt you'd see a rash of targeted hits on players if they quit this silly song and dance.

The ONLY justification I can see for not disclosing injuries is the reason why they're required in the NFL--gambling.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm liking Toninato more and more so I don't mind him being back in the lineup but I'd prefer not to see too much of Mironov or Warsofsky. Hopefully Barrie and Barberio are back pretty soon.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Landy - MacK - Mikko
Nieto - Soda - Comeau
Wilson - Jost - Compher
Yak*

I doubt Bourque comes out the way he's played. It'll be Yak and Toninato that are scratches, IMO. And Ghetto, Yak, Wilson, Jost, Toninato, and Bourque will all be in and out of the lineup the rest of the year depending on matchups and how they played last game.

IMO...

92/29/96
17/13/37
83/34/14
10/22/57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad