Pre-Game Talk: Week to get Frostbite (@VAN, @EDM, @WPG)

Which of the injured will play this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't care what he did four years ago. He helps the team but he's an average player so just let him be average on the 4th line.
4 years ago? How about last year?

Jost is playing 4th line minutes with 2nd PP unit, just like Girard is playing 3rd pairing minutes and 1st PP unit. Bednar is consistent.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Wilson gets underrated because he's overpaid. It happens a lot to guys like that. He's a decent middle sixer with a good attitude, if he was paid half what he is nobody would be complaining about him.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Plus it's not like we run a traditional 4th line, our "2nd line" is the most grindery of the bunch.
Going to be very disappointed if they don't go 2-1 this week.
0848cba1a97180c12eb83fc7f228d6c535ddb1e5994d198a0b8eae2d602a25fa.jpg

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Well it is better than the format we have now where they try to force rivalries into existence and in which teams with more points than some in the playoffs risk not qualifying. It is not only boring to watch the same teams over and over it is also potentially unfair. But I liked the old format better than the one suggested. It allowed for rivalries and it was fair.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
1 vs 16 format might be a bit extreme and wouldn't help for rivalries but Conference 1 vs 8 would be ideal for me. Current format really sucks.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'd prefer we go back to 1 v 8 format. I kind of like the 1 v 16 one, it is interesting.. But unfair. Vegas vs Toronto? TB vs LA? Boston vs Columbus? Travel wise that is insanely unfair.

If it reverted back to the way it used to be it'd be...

1 *Vegas vs 8 Avs
2 *Jets vs 7 Calgary
3 Nashville vs 6 San Jose
4 St.Louis vs 5 Dallas

1 *Tampa vs 8 Philly
2 *Washington vs 7 New Jersey
3 Boston vs 6 Pittsburgh
4 Toronto vs 5 Columbus

*Divison winners

Which I like better, more simplistic.

Jets vs Flames would be an awesome series. As would Boston vs Pittsburgh, St.Louis Dallas, and of course us vs anybody.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'd prefer we go back to 1 v 8 format. I kind of like the 1 v 16 one, it is interesting.. But unfair. Vegas vs Toronto? TB vs LA? Boston vs Columbus? Travel wise that is insanely unfair.

Yeah, that sounds awful. Forcing rivalries in the first round is stupid, but playing a bloodless first round series against a team you hardly see is boring too. At least conference teams get 3 games a year to develop a little competition, especially as the teams compete for playoff spots.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
When Varlamov comes back, he will get the undisputed starter position 100%. Let's not forget who has proven what long term between the two of them. Bernier has been great, but you don't ride a goalie like that when your real #1 comes back just because he's been on a hot streak.

NHL Career numbers:
2.66GAA, 91.6Sv%, 55.7% Points Earned per start.
2.65GAA, 91.5Sv%, 54.8% Points Earned per start.

Which is which?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
4 years ago? How about last year?

Jost is playing 4th line minutes with 2nd PP unit, just like Girard is playing 3rd pairing minutes and 1st PP unit. Bednar is consistent.
What about last year? He scored 12 goals. You mentioned Wilson scoring 20 goals, he did that 4 years ago.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
What about last year? He scored 12 goals. You mentioned Wilson scoring 20 goals, he did that 4 years ago.
Close, it was 3 years ago (18-15=3). And two years ago, he scored 13 points in 14 playoff games. He is not great. He is not a star. But he is also not the talentless grinder "stone hands" implies. He is a good 3rd liner, that can step up for a game or two if needed.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Close, it was 3 years ago (18-15=3). And two years ago, he scored 13 points in 14 playoff games. He is not great. He is not a star. But he is also not the talentless grinder "stone hands" implies. He is a good 3rd liner, that can step up for a game or two if needed.
And last season he had 4 points in 14 playoff games. He's been at both ends of the spectrum.

He's a real hard worker, nobody is denying that but he is the most "meh" player I have ever watched in the NHL. He doesn't do one thing particularly well. He just does a lot of things "ok".

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
NHL Career numbers:
2.66GAA, 91.6Sv%, 55.7% Points Earned per start.
2.65GAA, 91.5Sv%, 54.8% Points Earned per start.

Which is which?
If you think numbers tell the whole story, I've got a Wiercioch to trade you for a 2nd. Bernier goes on long hot and cold streaks. He's a great backup but folds when given the starter reins for a long period.

Varly has been a consistent backstop for the team for a long time and put up some truly Herculean performances when he's on his game, including an entire season when he should have won a Vezina, a 54 save road shutout against a very good Hawks team just 3 years ago, and 57 saves on 60 shots just 3 months ago. Career averages mean little when only one goalie has successfully carried a starter's workload during that time. I know being down on him is popular now, but Varlamov is easily the best starting goaltender we've had since Roy, and Bernier isn't going to change that with a hot streak.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If you think numbers tell the whole story, I've got a Wiercioch to trade you for a 2nd. Bernier goes on long hot and cold streaks. He's a great backup but folds when given the starter reins for a long period.

Varly has been a consistent backstop for the team for a long time and put up some truly Herculean performances when he's on his game, including an entire season when he should have won a Vezina, a 54 save road shutout against a very good Hawks team just 3 years ago, and 57 saves on 60 shots just 3 months ago. Career averages mean little when only one goalie has successfully carried a starter's workload during that time. I know being down on him is popular now, but Varlamov is easily the best starting goaltender we've had since Roy, and Bernier isn't going to change that with a hot streak.
That's all fine, but facts are facts: Varlamov hasn't been very good since 2014-15. His 15-16 season was mediocre, he was downright awful last season when he was healthy, and he's been below average this season.

A hot streak doesn't take anything Varlamov did in the past when he was good for us, but it does take away his guaranteed starter role. This is Bernier's net for the time being until Varlamov proves 1) He can stay healthy, and 2) He can outperform Bernier.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That's all fine, but facts are facts: Varlamov hasn't been very good since 2014-15. His 15-16 season was mediocre, he was downright awful last season when he was healthy, and he's been below average this season.

A hot streak doesn't take anything Varlamov did in the past when he was good for us, but it does take away his guaranteed starter role. This is Bernier's net for the time being until Varlamov proves 1) He can stay healthy, and 2) He can outperform Bernier.
I don't think he was ever "healthy" last season.

For this season, if you don't count the hot streak, Bernier has been just as "average" as Varlamov. If you think the hot streak is just Bernier finally coming into his own at 29, I can see why you would say he's got a reason to stay the #1, but Varly will be back in net as soon as he's 100%. Now, they may treat him more gingerly than before, since Bernier has given them confidence to start him more to make sure they don't kill their starter, but Varly is the starter for the team still for the same reason Barrie will be back in the top 4 when he plays again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
13-14 really throws shade on what people think of Varly. He had one fantastic, Hart-level year... there is no taking that away. Beyond that he has pretty much been average or worse during his time... and had major injury issues. People point to injuries as a reason Varly hasn't played up to snuff. Well... injuries are just a fact of life now with Varly. He will never be fully healthy again. Bernier is far from a great goalie, but his starter numbers are really no worse than Varly's (Bernier also had one great season) and he doesn't have the injury issues.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013

For this season, if you don't count the hot streak, Bernier has been just as "average" as Varlamov. If you think the hot streak is just Bernier finally coming into his own at 29, I can see why you would say he's got a reason to stay the #1, but Varly will be back in net as soon as he's 100%. Now, they may treat him more gingerly than before, since Bernier has given them confidence to start him more to make sure they don't kill their starter, but Varly is the starter for the team still for the same reason Barrie will be back in the top 4 when he plays again.

Meh, goalies are different than defensemen. You ride the hot hand and no one in the world can deny that that's Bernier right now, even if he has cooled off somewhat. Also, if we're doing this on merit (and for some reason taking out Bernier's hot streak to decide that merit), if Bernier was just as average as Varlamov, that means there's no real difference between them besides some arbitrary starter distinction they decided on before the expansion draft to build up Varlamov's confidence. Varlamov did nothing to earn that last year and he hasn't done much to earn it this year.

And more importantly...if they're looking to move on from Varlamov this summer or at least transition him to a less depended-on role (which they absolutely should do), they should start building up Bernier's confidence. Convince him he's the goalie he was during the hot streak and maybe you keep his mental game going. What's the point of telling Varlamov he's the starter when it constantly has the asterisk of "until you get injured again"?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I hate when people do this. "If you don't count the hot streak." Why? Ok, if you don't count Varly's 60 save performance and his shutout and a couple of other wins, he's by far the worst goaltender in the league this season when he's been healthy.

Fact is, Bernier took the ball and ran with it. You don't give the net back to Varlamov immediately based upon him coming back with Bernier playing the way he is.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I hate when people do this. "If you don't count the hot streak." Why? Ok, if you don't count Varly's 60 save performance and his shutout and a couple of other wins, he's by far the worst goaltender in the league this season when he's been healthy.

Fact is, Bernier took the ball and ran with it. You don't give the net back to Varlamov immediately based upon him coming back with Bernier playing the way he is.
It's only worth counting the hot streak if you think that the hot streak is the new normal for him. If you look at Bernier's history, he has never maintained that level of play for long. If you believe he'll keep it up, more power to you, but goalies don't get by on hot streaks.

This is why there is a difference between a starter's workload and a backup's workload. Varly has been pretty average this season, but he did that as the starter, Bernier has done it as a backup. If you can't see the difference, I can't help you. We'll see what happens when Varly comes back, but I bet you he will resume starter duties immediately, although probably with lighter duty to protect his health.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I think Samwise and T-Boobs can learn a lot from each other. If Barrie can learn Girards stick work in the defensive zone and Girard can learn how to drive the play 5v5, they'll both be better players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad