Pre-Game Talk: Week to get Frostbite (@VAN, @EDM, @WPG)

Which of the injured will play this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Would rather Yak playing 4th line minutes than Greer. There's still something that can be done with Greer if he's given more AHL time. This is what Yak is.

Pretty much. I've always hated teams saying "lower body injury" or "upper body injury" so as not to disclose injuries.

At some point he has to start getting a chance in the NHL and unless we're sending Jost down to be his center he isn't going to take that next step in the AHL. Greer is an NHL player right now and he flashes his top 9 skill on more shifts than not. Sticking him with Kerfoot and one of the finishers (Ghetto/Yak) would be a good way to help that talent take the next step. Not sending him down to the AHL to do the hard work for Rocco.

Plus I just like the line make up better with one of our big LWers (Wilson & Greer) paired with two of the smurfier offensive guys ( Jost | Compher | Kerfoot | Ghetto | Yak ), than I do with three smurfs on 1 line. Let AJ's grit & physicality compliment those speedy smurfs while his hands help Kerfoot feed Terri or Sven.

Just a more well balanced line, especially on the road where we can't shelter a line as well as we can at home.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Unless Varlamov's groins are 100% healthy, you keep him out of action. I don't care if it's 99%, that 1% is all the guy needs to re-injure himself. I'm not the biggest Bernier fan but it's clearly his net now, you don't give it back to Varly once Varly is healthy again.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
At some point he has to start getting a chance in the NHL and unless we're sending Jost down to be his center he isn't going to take that next step in the AHL. Greer is an NHL player right now and he flashes his top 9 skill on more shifts than not. Sticking him with Kerfoot and one of the finishers (Ghetto/Yak) would be a good way to help that talent take the next step. Not sending him down to the AHL to do the hard work for Rocco.
This is where I strongly disagree. The kid just turned 21 in December and has 81 games of AHL experience. Not all of our prospects are going to hit the NHL immediately. There is no harm in keeping Greer down in the AHL in a top-6 role rather than in the NHL playing 6-10 minutes in a 4th line grinder role. There's still a chance he can produce something offensively, but he's not going to develop that here playing limited minutes in a different role.

I also don't think Greer is an NHL player right now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This is where I strongly disagree. The kid just turned 21 in December and has 81 games of AHL experience. Not all of our prospects are going to hit the NHL immediately. There is no harm in keeping Greer down in the AHL in a top-6 role rather than in the NHL playing 6-10 minutes in a 4th line grinder role. There's still a chance he can produce something offensively, but he's not going to develop that here playing limited minutes in a different role.

I also don't think Greer is an NHL player right now.

I don't see why he can't develop his offense playing next to Kerfoot & Sven/Yak in the NHL. Especially since that's not exactly a traditional 4th line. He's at or nearing the point where he'll learn a lot more going against NHLers than he will building up his confidence against AHLers. I had concerns about AJ settling into too much of a grinding role if he came up too soon, but the way he's been able to impliment his passing...even when on a line with Toni & Gork...has alleviated a lot of that, especially if we put him on a "4th line" like the one I'm suggesting.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Unless Varlamov's groins are 100% healthy, you keep him out of action. I don't care if it's 99%, that 1% is all the guy needs to re-injure himself. I'm not the biggest Bernier fan but it's clearly his net now, you don't give it back to Varly once Varly is healthy again.
When Varlamov comes back, he will get the undisputed starter position 100%. Let's not forget who has proven what long term between the two of them. Bernier has been great, but you don't ride a goalie like that when your real #1 comes back just because he's been on a hot streak.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
When Varlamov comes back, he will get the undisputed starter position 100%. Let's not forget who has proven what long term between the two of them. Bernier has been great, but you don't ride a goalie like that when your real #1 comes back just because he's been on a hot streak.

Varly the inconsistent and very injury prone goalie vs Bernier the inconsistent goalie who is prone to bad goals... yeah I'd say neither has proven to be the real #1.

It is kind weird when you look at their career numbers: 250GS 123W 104L 29OT 2.65GAA .915Sv % vs 360GS 182W 143L 37OT 2.66GAA .916Sv %

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
  • Bernier has been better during the last 12 games than Varly has been since the miracle year. I'd not say that Varly is the #1 going forward, or that he has a better chance to be here in the future than Bernier.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sadowski

"Nothing's holding me back anymore, so I should be good to go," said Barrie, who was second among NHL defensemen with 27 points in 34 games when he was injured. "It was a little bit sore, but today was really a good day. I'm excited to get back out there. The guys did an unbelievable job while I was out. I think it's a good time for me to come back."

"Forwards J.T. Compher and Colin Wilson also practiced after missing time with the flu. They were on a line with Alexander Kerfoot and will play against the Canucks."

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If what I've seen on twitter is accurate, Jost is apparently at wing on the 4th line after having his best stretch of play where he's looking very comfortable at center. Hopefully that doesn't last long, especially since it's stone hands Wilson whose taking his spot on a scoring line.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Just dont play Varly on Thursday. I dont care if hes 4000% healthy. Varlamov in Edmonton is a guaranteed 8 goals against.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If what I've seen on twitter is accurate, Jost is apparently at wing on the 4th line after having his best stretch of play where he's looking very comfortable at center. Hopefully that doesn't last long, especially since it's stone hands Wilson whose taking his spot on a scoring line.

Players with stone hands don't score 20 goals. He can score when he's on a scoring line or in an offensive role. Also, whether you like him or not the team just hasn't been the same without Wilson.

Reactions: McMetal

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Dont like. Jost has been playing very well the last 3-4 games imo. Alot of jump, making plays and putting up some points. I dont get it.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Players with stone hands don't score 20 goals. He can score when he's on a scoring line or in an offensive role. Also, whether you like him or not the team just hasn't been the same without Wilson.

I don't care what he did four years ago. He helps the team but he's an average player so just let him be average on the 4th line.

Dont like. Jost has been playing very well the last 3-4 games imo. Alot of jump, making plays and putting up some points. I dont get it.

Agreed. Apparently he's keeping his spot on the PP so it's not all bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad