Pre-Game Talk: Week of the Condor (@Chi, LA, VGK)

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I approve of both of these solutions. But I just really want to see Soderberg in an offensive role. I think he deserves it at this point and he certainly has the skill.

I don't think that will be a problem. Soda, Lake and Nieto have been rather productive while being a shutdown line

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I don't think that will be a problem. Soda, Lake and Nieto have been rather productive while being a shutdown line

Soderberg's 0.49 points per game (85th in the league among centers) is not what I would qualify as productive for someone of his skill level. I think it he were playing with more offensive minded and talented wingers he could be much more productive.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Soderberg's 0.49 points per game (85th in the league among centers) is not what I would qualify as productive for someone of his skill level. I think it he were playing with more offensive minded and talented wingers he could be much more productive.

If Soderberg can put up ~40 points while playing a pure shutdown role, sign me be hell up. That’s great production from a shutdown line. Then that allows, hopefully, us to have a a quasi 2nd/3rd line that can be used purely for scoring depth.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Damn, Martin is wearing this now?

DY2InjKUQAAOJIy.jpg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I wonder if Martin was too much of a Allaire style goalie? Once Allaire retired in place, and left he's fallen off.

I don't think he has the mental strength to be a consistent goalie. I think he has the physical skills and talent to be a very solid goalie, he just doesn't possess the mindset...

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It’s been the line closest to one. I mean the Mack line goes out against top lines to, but the Soda line has seen a lot of defensive zone starts and played against a lot of top 6 lines.

Except that it's absolutely is our shutdown line.

It kind of is.

I’d have to look at the #s but if we gotta qualify it with “kinda” then I don’t think it’s a checking line. I don’t believe they take on the really tough competition nor do I think they take a majority of defensive zone faceoffs, though, again, haven’t looked at the numbers.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I’d have to look at the #s but if we gotta qualify it with “kinda” then I don’t think it’s a checking line. I don’t believe they take on the really tough competition nor do I think they take a majority of defensive zone faceoffs, though, again, haven’t looked at the numbers.

Soderberg, Nieto and Comeau lead the entire Avs team in defensive zone starts. The 3 of them range from 67 to 69% Dzone starts, and are ranked 1,2 and 3 respectively.

The next highest 3 forwards (regulars) are Compher, Wilson and Jost, who are all around 50%.

There’s absolutely no doubt whatsoever that they are THE leaned on trio to play the defensive minutes.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Soderberg, Nieto and Comeau lead the entire Avs team in defensive zone starts. The 3 of them range from 67 to 69% Dzone starts, and are ranked 1,2 and 3 respectively.

The next highest 3 forwards (regulars) are Compher, Wilson and Jost, who are all around 50%.

There’s absolutely no doubt whatsoever that they are THE leaned on trio to play the defensive minutes.

Jesus. I didn’t realize it was near 70%

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah that makes sense. The only other line Bednar would ever dare use for d-zone starts would be the top line. The other two lines, no way.

IF guys like Toninato develop like they should, that'll be a huge boon. A 4th line that can actually be trusted defensively makes a big difference.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Yeah that makes sense. The only other line Bednar would ever dare use for d-zone starts would be the top line. The other two lines, no way.

IF guys like Toninato develop like they should, that'll be a huge boon. A 4th line that can actually be trusted defensively makes a big difference.

And I really don't like the top line with defensive starts with how badly they get hemmed in their own zone

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
And I really don't like the top line with defensive starts with how badly they get hemmed in their own zone

Well, that's just it. That top line should never, ever be hemmed in their own zone. All three players are simply too good. And two of them are supposed to be legit two-way players. Frankly, I think they're a little overworked. It's almost like they're saving energy for breaks up-ice and doing their thing in the attacking zone. Get some reliable scoring and players who actually push it the other way and I think you'll see their play outside the offensive zone improve.

Earlier in the year, the team was actually doing relatively well possession-wise, then injuries struck and they become a much more one-note team. Believe it or not, losing both Barberio and Andrighetto around the same time did a real number in that department.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad