Pre-Game Talk: Week of the Condor (@Chi, LA, VGK)

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It was a year ago dude, I straight up didn't remember being that down on Soderberg. We were all pissed off this time last year and taking it out on the team and each other.

I hope you feel very proud of yourself.

Everyone makes mistakes, I was just pointing out that the 'Speak for yourself' part was really everyone on this board, including you. You just made things personal.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Everyone makes mistakes, I was just pointing out that the 'Speak for yourself' part was really everyone on this board, including you. You just made things personal.

I thought about responding to that post myself. While I agreed with you that I don't think we'd be missing him. I also don't agree that the only memories some of us would focus on was his last year. The post completely dismissed his first year here, and there were different levels of outlook and frustration with him.

Lumping everyone into something is bound to get under peoples skin.

Without Soda around we may have tried harder to bring someone else in through trade or free-agency IMO. Who knows who would be in that spot. I do think they thought at least one of these guys between Kerfoot, Jost, and Compher would have been able to solidify themselves consistently at center by now though. I thought Compher was going to grab it by the second half myself.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
ele.png

Reactions: Avs

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Poor choice of words on my part then, it wasn't intended to be that combative. I think the reason I wanted him gone was less that I believed Soderberg sucked, but more based on my opinion that if we were stuck with Bednar (go ahead and look up my feelings on THAT subject over the last year and a half) wasting 5m a year playing a perfectly good skill player on the 4th line, we may as well dump his salary in the ED. It sucked like hell to lose Picks instead, but in hindsight, it was easily the best possible outcome.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It is funny how much people really did not want to lose Pickard, and now he's what? playing with the Marlies? Dude really had that one good season and fell off a cliff.

Kind of like Yak though in the fact that he seems like a super good guy.

Reactions: cgf

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It is funny how much people really did not want to lose Pickard, and now he's what? playing with the Marlies? Dude really had that one good season and fell off a cliff.

Kind of like Yak though in the fact that he seems like a super good guy.
I think it had more to do with a lack of faith in Varlamov than it had to do with penciling in Pickard as the starter

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think it had more to do with a lack of faith in Varlamov than it had to do with penciling in Pickard as the starter
Yeah, nobody had any faith in Picks after last year. I thought he got a kind of bad rap after that year as the defense in front of him was appalling, but the way his season has gone since being waived and traded for peanuts by Vegas speaks to how far his star has fallen since we lost him.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I like both Landeskog and Rantanen but MacKinnon is one of the best players in the world and lots of players would look great playing with him. This line for sure have even higher potential than this.

I'm still not sure if Landeskog should be on the first line though, we need to have an elite second line too. Landeskog is an elite allround forward and he will do fine both on a second and first line, I don't think it matters much for him as long as his team is winning and he is contributing... being the captain and he will be contributing.

If the management play their cards right we should have a team competing for the Cup within a near future, perhaps not next season but within 2-3 seasons.

this is the same rhetoric that came from a lot of us around here after the famous 13/14 season where the avs won the division coming off a dfl in the West season. Keep expectations a bit lower and you won’t be as damaged when shit comes crashing back down

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Remember when every single player we got through waivers looked like one of our better players? Good times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->