Pre-Game Talk: Week of All Stars (@TOR, @MTL, @STL)

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Starting goalers tend to be the first off of the ice, not last, let alone a starting goaler practicing in an optional skate if that is to be true. Everyone is different though, maybe Hammond is the starting goaler and wants more preparation time. :dunno:

lol dude you're completely right. Don't know why my brain read that backwards.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
FWIW Bernier is in exceptional physical shape. The eat well, marathon running, not-an-ounce-of-fat type of guy.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You guys think it's possible that Bernier would be entiring his prime at age 29? That he finally lives up to his #11 overall pick potential? Goalies are a weird breed when it comes to entering or leaving their prime. Some do it very early, others very late.

If so, he could be our starter for the next ~5 years.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Starting goalers tend to be the first off of the ice, not last, let alone a starting goaler practicing in an optional skate if that is to be true. Everyone is different though, maybe Hammond is the starting goaler and wants more preparation time. :dunno:
Yeah I took that tweet as Bernier was starting lol.

member 116861

Kind of curious to see the Hamburger guy but have to go with the safe pick here.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Kind of torn...I want the streak to continue and we have a much better shot at that with Bernier in net, but I would also like a fresh Bernier in net for our st. Louis game on Thursday since that's a huge game for us.

Reactions: 5280

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I dunno...I feel like the streak ends tonight. The cracks in the firmament are beginning to show. The Avs are having a tough time putting it together for more than one period the last 2-3 games. And Montreal, as horrible as they are, have some pretty speedy guys, especially lower in their lineup. I bet Deslauriers scores at least one goal tonight. He's about the only guy they have scoring at a consistent pace (outside of Patches that is).

I don't blame them if they want to go with Bernier again tonight. Go with the hot hand from Laval.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You guys think it's possible that Bernier would be entiring his prime at age 29? That he finally lives up to his #11 overall pick potential? Goalies are a weird breed when it comes to entering or leaving their prime. Some do it very early, others very late.

If so, he could be our starter for the next ~5 years.

There has been a few goalies to come into their own later like that. I'm wondering the same thing myself. His career numbers and his pedigree are at least encouraging.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I still think ya gotta be careful with Bernier. I can't complain about his play of late, especially now that he seems much better at stopping breakaways, which he absolutely could not do earlier this season.

However there are still huge gaps in his game. He's still giving up HUGE rebounds, which is not the end-all-be-all of good or bad goaltending but it plays a part. In fact that "2nd" Matthews goal was the direct result of a bad rebound given up on a bad-angled shot by Nylander. I get the exuberance and he is playing marvelous right now, however I still don't think he's a viable starter. I view him in the same light as Brian Elliott--a guy who can fill in for long stretches, maybe even be part of a tandem, but isn't a franchise goalie in his own right.

That said, I'm backing off my earlier claim that there are better options this offseason.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I dunno...I feel like the streak ends tonight. The cracks in the firmament are beginning to show. The Avs are having a tough time putting it together for more than one period the last 2-3 games. And Montreal, as horrible as they are, have some pretty speedy guys, especially lower in their lineup. I bet Deslauriers scores at least one goal tonight. He's about the only guy they have scoring at a consistent pace (outside of Patches that is).

I don't blame them if they want to go with Bernier again tonight. Go with the hot hand from Laval.
Vs San Jose, I'd agree but that was all powerplays. I thought we were the better team vs New York and vs Toronto

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
If he continues to play well (not necessarily hot like he is now either) I would be fine with a 2-3 deal to keep him here but we should still be looking for young options to bring in as well because Varly is likely toast and we are a Bernier injury away from having no good goalie options with Martin not being close to ready yet.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Montreal's offense is a joke, and their defense not much better. They don't have a line to shut down MacKinnon on offense. This is the game to play Hammond. Keep Bernier fresh for the big four-point game in STL.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I still think ya gotta be careful with Bernier. I can't complain about his play of late, especially now that he seems much better at stopping breakaways, which he absolutely could not do earlier this season.

However there are still huge gaps in his game. He's still giving up HUGE rebounds, which is not the end-all-be-all of good or bad goaltending but it plays a part. In fact that "2nd" Matthews goal was the direct result of a bad rebound given up on a bad-angled shot by Nylander. I get the exuberance and he is playing marvelous right now, however I still don't think he's a viable starter. I view him in the same light as Brian Elliott--a guy who can fill in for long stretches, maybe even be part of a tandem, but isn't a franchise goalie in his own right.

That said, I'm backing off my earlier claim that there are better options this offseason.

I actually think his rebound control has been top notch more often than not. To let that one take away from it wouldn't be right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad