Pre-Game Talk: Week of All Stars (@TOR, @MTL, @STL)

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
We can tie STL if OTT does us a solid tonight. Come on Matty!

Hopefully FLA can beat DAL too

If the cards fall right tonight, HUGE if, we could wake up tomorrow third in the Central with games in hand over every Central team below us save Chicago. We're all Matty D fans tonight.

I've said it before but with the long weekend coming up I'd ride Bernier all the way through Thursday. Wins are too important to trust your AHL goalie right now.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
It's funny to hear how much the canadian media is praising the Avs now.

Yesterday might have been their first time really watching the team

Kypreos loves Rantanan, thinks he's already a star
Colby Armstrong calls Landy a horse

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
What I dislike about many of these advanced stat articles is that they don't really understand what regression is. It's not a magic rubberband that feels when a team has been overachieving or been lucky and compensates by giving them bad luck the rest of the way. It's not that uncommon to have a high PDO all through a season. There are 11 teams in the last five years that has had a higher PDO than Avs currently have. It's not a season of the ages. Over the very long run numbers tend to normalize but when you have played 56% of the season, chances are those with high PDO, successful special teams, hot goaltending and shooting will be the ones that end the season that way as well.

Reactions: McMetal

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Bernier doesn't necessarily need the rest. Mandated break and a 2 full day break thus far in the win streak, these guys are more rested than you'd assume. Then you look over to other goalies who have 20, 25, 28 wins - all star break coming up, why wouldn't he start?

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Corsi Hockey League: Why the red-hot Avs will come back to earth

Whatever happened to just enjoying the sport instead of diving into a bunch of stats to discredit a team? It's the thing I hate most about the whole advanced stats culture. It can be great for getting more information about a player or a team but anytime a team/player is playing great there's articles like this or people that want to cut them down that pop up like mushrooms.

This is annoying, though I'm not surprised given the writer.

Yes, I get that these stats do better over a longer sample size/period of time and predict trends, but just looking at the season as a whole before they really hit their stride ignores how they've been trending upward. Like yes, they're on a PDO bender right now but so is every top team in the league, including Tampa and Boston. Washington is 5th in PDO but has been tanking in shot shares and CF% for weeks now; same for Nashville. I'd rather be in the Avs position (lucky and playing better and better as time goes on) than those teams (lucky but playing worse and worse).

The Avs were trending upward before their PDO spiked, too. I predicted one of the goalies getting hot and really putting an exclamation point on it, and that's exactly what happened.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Even if Friedman can be a bit too speculative at times, there is no denying the amount of hard work it must take to create that much content for his column every week.

Reactions: Balthazar

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Agreed.

His 31 thoughts are usually quite interesting to read even besides the rumors/speculation. Always has a few cool stories thrown in as well.

It's my favorite thing to read regarding the NHL right now. His podcasts for 31 thoughts are apparently very good and worth the listen now as well, but I haven't gotten around to those yet.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
To that end, for the first time, the Avalanche put a ping-pong table in their player lounge. So, who is the best, who is the worst, and who is the worst loser? “(Nail) Yakupov is the best,” MacKinnon answered. Then, he paused and laughed. “I will take the other two. I’m not great, and I’ll snap, too. When Tyson Barrie beats me I don’t like it.

Terri should be given Bernie's job once we have enough talent to push him out of the lineup.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Lebrun isn't saying he hasn't watched the Avs. He's saying it's the first time seeing them in person. There were a few others who tweeted out last night the difference in seeing them live vs on TV.

I'm sure they don't get the attention that other teams get, but these media guys do their work. They watch hockey. I really enjoy listening to NHL radio. Those guys leave their shift and go home and watch continuous hours of hockey. If they get tired and there's a specific game on the agenda for the next day, they'll get up early and watch the game in the morning. I respect the hell out of it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
LeBrun is one of the better media guys out there but this is why I never take anything mainstream media says seriously. They don't watch the Avs, they haven't got a clue as to what's going on in the locker room or with management. Nothing.
That's Denver media's job. Not guys from Toronto or Montreal.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

oh boy...

Starting goalers tend to be the first off of the ice, not last, let alone a starting goaler practicing in an optional skate if that is to be true. Everyone is different though, maybe Hammond is the starting goaler and wants more preparation time. :dunno:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'll feel bad for Hammond if we lose our streak to Montreal and he's the losing goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad