Pre-Game Talk: Week of a long break (@Cgy, @Van)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Such an awful set of lines after #1 lol.

I used to say this team had 3 3rd lines. Right now we have 1 elite line, 2 3rd lines and 1 AHL 2nd line.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Such an awful set of lines after #1 lol.

I used to say this team had 3 3rd lines. Right now we have 1 elite line, 2 3rd lines and 1 AHL 2nd line.

I'm not even sure with that setup you have 2 3rd lines. I really hope Bednar gives up on Soda being carved in stone on the 3rd line. It would change so much about the team...

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Career goal totals for our bottom 9 forwards:

Wilson - 104 in 570 GP
Calvert - 72 in 428 GP
Soderberg - 67 in 412 GP
Nieto - 52 in 350 GP
Kerfoot - 20 in 91 GP
Dano - 19 in 134 GP
Greer - 0 in 22 GP
Kamenev - 0 in 12 GP
Dries - 0 in 4 GP

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I’ve been quietly hoping Kamenev would get a crack at second line duty. Hope he’s as good as I think he might be. There needs to be a better option than Wilson at RW.

Reactions: 5280

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Where are them Kamenev lovers?

Good to see Kamenev getting a shot higher in the lineup and Kerf back where he belongs in that LW spot but FFS what is the deal with frickin' Wilson still higher in the lineup than Soderberg AND still surgically attached to Nieto. Frustrating.

We're probably gonna see another "3rd line is really the 2nd line" thing and that 4th line will be out for, like, 3 minutes tops.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Good to see Kamenev getting a shot higher in the lineup and Kerf back where he belongs in that LW spot but FFS what is the deal with frickin' Wilson still higher in the lineup than Soderberg AND still surgically attached to Nieto. Frustrating.

We're probably gonna see another "3rd line is really the 2nd line" thing and that 4th line will be out for, like, 3 minutes tops.

As much as I hate Wilson on the 2nd line who’s realistically a better option? Calvert? Just as bad. Dano? Maybe. Greer? Worse. It’s just horrible how bad our forward core is right now.

Youngblood29

Jul 3, 2018
Where are them Kamenev lovers?

Finally, Kamenev in the 2nd line.
I really hope he gets real change (playing minutes) and succeed.
I do see something on him, so hopefully he makes a small "breakthrough".

Our center core is week atm + we all know the face-off situation..
So I don't understand, why someones are against this? What do we really have to lose?

So hopefully this (HEIGHT: 6' 2 (188 cm)) Russian Forward, could be the answer for us.

Now, just a good overall game, some secondary scoring from that line.. Grow some self-confidence and there we go.
Nice rest of the season and after that, cheap 1-2million contract for next 2-3years in the back pocket and there we have some center depth..

I know, I know... Odds are against that.. But dreaming, never harms ;)
And if it would happen, I think we all would be happy :)

Nice end result from one piece of the Duchene trade.

Reactions: nightonthesun

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It seems somewhat strange to me that Jost is not making the trip after the apparent optimism yesterday and with him attending a community related event (strange may be a poor choice of words, as it probably more surprising than anything). The organization does seem to treat injuries and concussions in particular with a high degree of conservatism. It is the right move, I would just hope that it is recognized by the players and generates some degree of good will.

Glad to see Kamenev will receive an opportunity for a larger role, however brief it may be. In any event, I am revising my expectations for this week with the depleted forward core.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
As much as I hate Wilson on the 2nd line who’s realistically a better option? Calvert? Just as bad. Dano? Maybe. Greer? Worse. It’s just horrible how bad our forward core is right now.

Yeah I totally get that, but at the very least I'd like to see a Kerf/Soda/Wilson line, which of course leaves the 3rd and 4th lines pretty barren but I'm really sick of them using Soda in a checking role when he really should be the 2C until a better option emerges...which hasn't yet and may not this year.

They could also put Wilson at 4C, he's capable of playing center.

I dunno, I hope we at least get to see Greer do a shift or two a little higher in the lineup. He's already in a position to fail on that line.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
In terms of defensive prospects he's at this point number 3 behind Dahlin and Heiskanen. Other top prospects from earlier drafts have looked good but not as good as this recent crop. I see Makar as a future Norris contender, absolutely. EP relative to the young forwards is not as promising, which speaks more to the dearth of quality defensive prospects than anything else.

Either way we could easily pick a #2c in the 2019 draft. Don't think there's a Makar-tier defenseman in that draft.

See, a good 2nd line center would obviously be great, but I'd rather see us make a trade for a legit scoring winger and put soda on the 2nd line until we can draft our 2nd line center in the upcoming draft.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Happy to see Kamenev getting the 2nd line center spot. I would have preferred different circumstances but I'll take it. Hopefully he runs away with the role.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Well that's not pretty.

Our 2nd line is a 3rd line, our 3rd line is a 4th line with a good C, our 4th line is full time AHLers.

so we have:
1st line
3rd line
4th line
AHL line

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Considering how bad our prospect pool was just 2 years ago our lineup is actually not that bad. We have 3, i repeat THREE injuries in our Top 9. It's pretty normal that our 4th line is an AHL line (at least they are young) and the rest is a WIP - pretty much every team in the NHL would look similar with our awful drafting/developing til 2016. Not sure what you guys expect.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Considering how bad our prospect pool was just 2 years ago our lineup is actually not that bad. We have 3, i repeat THREE injuries in our Top 9. It's pretty normal that our 4th line is an AHL line (at least they are young) and the rest is a WIP - pretty much every team in the NHL would look similar with our awful drafting/developing since 2016. Not sure what you guys expect.
We better hope our whole 1st line will be playing 82 games this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad