Pre-Game Talk: Week of a long break (@Cgy, @Van)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
giphy.gif
This isn’t about you, Hench. This is about Sven Andrighetto sand Connor Mcdavid. Imagine knowing the love of your life is out there but you never get to actually give it a try. That’s basically Sventen and Mcjesus’ situation.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'm still fine with the Makar selection and see obvious all-star defenseman potential, but I don't understand why you're selling Petterson short. He may very well have a Hart trophy in his future, and as of right now, it looks likelier than Makar winning a Norris.
He has 7 goals in his career

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This isn’t about you, Hench. This is about Sven Andrighetto sand Connor Mcdavid. Imagine knowing the love of your life is out there but you never get to actually give it a try. That’s basically Sventen and Mcjesus’ situation.

There are times you have to take one for the team. Times where you take home the ugly chick to be a good wing man. Even in those times you still have to have some semblance of standards. In this case you are taking home this:

HardSillyLadybug-small.gif

And once you have taken that home, you are never the same again. No amount of penicillin can cure.

member 116861

It's not surprising that the Canucks made a better pick than the Aves.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Quinn Hughes is better than Makar. It's close, but no doubt that Quinn possesses a couple levels of intelligence (especially offencively) I have never ever seen from Makar.

- Hughes plays in the second best conference in college hockey.
- Hockey East lost a ton of talent the past couple of years (besides BU) and is quite below Big 10 and NCHC for me.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
And a 40%-something shot percentage. I get that. I'm not even knocking on Makar one bit - but he is in still in college, and the talent that Pettersson shows on a shift-to-shift basis at the NHL level is extremely promising.
Yah he looks good, but lots of new guys look good. There's a very good chance we could draft someone as good, or better this year. Pettersson is a nice surprise for Vancouver for sure. I had them pegged as a bottom 3 team, but the Pacific has started so weak, that they could make the playoffs.

Unfortunately for us, it looks like Jost being our 2c isn't going to work out as quickly as we hoped (if it does at all) and we could arguably use secondary scoring from a guy like Pettersson more than Makar. Oh well.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Quinn Hughes is better than Makar. It's close, but no doubt that Quinn possesses a couple levels of intelligence (especially offencively) I have never ever seen from Makar.

- Hughes plays in the second best conference in college hockey.
- Hockey East lost a ton of talent the past couple of years (besides BU) and is quite below Big 10 and NCHC for me.

The consensus is that Hughes has the toolbox and stats, Makar has the better tools (skating, size, shot). Stats now favor Makar. Is the gap between college conferences really so big to make up for double the production?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The consensus is that Hughes has the toolbox and stats, Makar has the better tools (skating, size, shot). Stats now favor Makar. Is the gap between college conferences really so big to make up for double the production?

Its only been a few games.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Makar is most definitely not a better skater, he probably has better straight explosive-speed, but Hughes is so freakin' slippery that he simply cannot be hit (unbelievable west-to-east movement). Both of them have duds of shots (Ib4 Team Canada goal), but I do like Makar's shot in terms of heaviness potential, while Hughes is much better at accuracy shooting (choose whatever you deem fit). Makar is definitely thicker and will be able to withstand physicality, but you simply cannot hit Hughes as he's almost Datsyuk-esque.

Hockey East's winning percentage dropped from .600 something two seasons ago to .400 something percent last season and their teams have been getting abused by other conferences so far this season except for UMass (who are legitimately a good team). UMass hasn't played a ton of HE opponents yet; they've beat...

- A team called Royal Military (wtf is this?)

- Rensselaer x2 (It's an engineering school who has a very weak programme)

- Ohio State x1 (Did beat 1st ranked Ohio State in one match, but OSU got destroyed by Bowling Green last weekend, so they're not the best team in the country).

- Merrimack x2 (Not a very good team)

They play New Hampshire once this weekend on the third of November who suck, but the true test is in two weeks against Providence who crushed BU, Miami, and barely lost to Notre Dame. Providence is probably the best team in Hockey East and could very well be a top 5 ranked team by the end of November.

Reactions: StayPuft39

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hughes is the best skating draft eligible defensemen I've ever seen. No doubt Makar is a great skater... Quinn is probably a top 5 level skater right now. He's not just a great skater, he's one of the few in the world you'd debate with McDavid.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Looking forward to seeing a Greer-Kamanev-Dano line that Bedsy hates and gives them 5-6 minutes of ice time as grinders.

Bourque-Kerfoot-Wilson as line 2 :naughty:

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad