Pre-Game Talk: Week of a long break (@Cgy, @Van)

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I have no regrets over Makar. Makar was needed at the time and will be needed in the future since he can qb a PP better than Girard and is overall a dominant player. He may be better than EP in the end. I would take a Norris winner over EP, who won't win individual hardware beyond maybe a Calder.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I have no regrets over Makar. Makar was needed at the time and will be needed in the future since he can qb a PP better than Girard and is overall a dominant player. He may be better than EP in the end. I would take a Norris winner over EP, who won't win individual hardware beyond maybe a Calder.

Makars gonna win a Norris?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ghetto is absolutely NOT the problem, even though he too has not looked stellar in recent games. They absolutely gotta get someone on that 2nd line who can put the puck in the net. Ghetto's really good with moving the puck in the right direction and getting shots on goal but he's by no means a great finisher. I get that he's not a long-term solution but I think he's been a fantastic addition. But I think it's a bit much to ask for a complementary player to take on the heaviest load, Avs just have to put someone on there who is a capable, reliable scorer...like Soda.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Ghetto is absolutely NOT the problem, even though he too has not looked stellar in recent games. They absolutely gotta get someone on that 2nd line who can put the puck in the net. Ghetto's really good with moving the puck in the right direction and getting shots on goal but he's by no means a great finisher. I get that he's not a long-term solution but I think he's been a fantastic addition. But I think it's a bit much to ask for a complementary player to take on the heaviest load, Avs just have to put someone on there who is a capable, reliable scorer...like Soda.

This is the best way to put it.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

lowol

Nov 27, 2006

I'm still fine with the Makar selection and see obvious all-star defenseman potential, but I don't understand why you're selling Petterson short. He may very well have a Hart trophy in his future, and as of right now, it looks likelier than Makar winning a Norris.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Makars gonna win a Norris?

In terms of defensive prospects he's at this point number 3 behind Dahlin and Heiskanen. Other top prospects from earlier drafts have looked good but not as good as this recent crop. I see Makar as a future Norris contender, absolutely. EP relative to the young forwards is not as promising, which speaks more to the dearth of quality defensive prospects than anything else.

Either way we could easily pick a #2c in the 2019 draft. Don't think there's a Makar-tier defenseman in that draft.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Dahlin and Heiskanen are not the only two young defensemen in the league... there are also Jones, Werenski, McAvoy, Provorov, Chabot, etc.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Dahlin and Heiskanen are not the only two young defensemen in the league... there is also Jones, Werenski, McAvoy, Provorov, Chabot, etc.

Of course, I was speaking of recent young d-men, still considered prospects. And these prospects have imo a higher ceiling than all the young d-men you listed except maybe Jones.

member 116861

In terms of defensive prospects he's at this point number 3 behind Dahlin and Heiskanen. Other top prospects from earlier drafts have looked good but not as good as this recent crop. I see Makar as a future Norris contender, absolutely. EP relative to the young forwards is not as promising, which speaks more to the dearth of quality defensive prospects than anything else.

Either way we could easily pick a #2c in the 2019 draft. Don't think there's a Makar-tier defenseman in that draft.

Bowen Byram.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Of course, I was speaking of recent young d-men, still considered prospects. And these prospects have imo a higher ceiling than all the young d-men you listed except maybe Jones.

Okay... Hughes, Bryam, York, Fox, Broberg, Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard... Makar is a good prospect, but there are many other good defensive prospects.

Reactions: pettersson

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Okay... Hughes, Bryam, York, Fox, Broberg, Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard... Makar is a good prospect, but there are many other good defensive prospects.

Makar is still considered a better prospect. Hughes is closest.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Ghetto + Barbs + 2nd for Pool party. The ghetto/Mcdavid dream is alive and well.
giphy.gif

Reactions: LieutenantDangle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->