Pre-Game Talk: Week of a long break (@Cgy, @Van)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The big problem isn't just that we have injuries in our bottom nine, it's who they are. Jost, Compher and Ghetto were all supposed to be the linchpins of secondary scoring and skill there (Compher with three goals before the injury). Losing those three in particular is what's killing us.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
The big problem isn't just that we have injuries in our bottom nine, it's who they are. Jost, Compher and Ghetto were all supposed to be the linchpins of secondary scoring and skill there (Compher with three goals before the injury). Losing those three in particular is what's killing us.
Absolutly. But i'm actually excited to see what Kamenev and Greer can do now that they get their chance. Maybe they suprise us all. And if not, hell it's still early in the season - we got this.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
How much offense are they really missing with Jost out? Bourque has more ES points, after all.

Compher right now, especially with the way he started, is the guy they're missing. Especially since he's a right shot.
It's not so much the points, but you have to admit that despite his struggles, he is one of the more purely skilled players outside the top line. Agreed on Compher though.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
To everyone worried or critical about our depth, please remember: This season (IMHO) is all about figuring out everybody's role in the bottom 9. Since so many guys are up for new contracts after this year (Rantanen, Wilson, Kerfoot, Gork, Kamenev, Dano, Dries, Greer and Toni) it makes sense to take this season to figure out what those players really are. Because at this point nobody really knows what kind of NHL player our young guys will be (if they are NHL players at all). That's why I think this season you're going to see guys get longer looks than they deserve at certain spots, and probably why Soda's not getting the offensive minutes - they want to see if one of the kids can seize that role because they know Soda's not the long-term solution there.

Basically, I think this season we all need to be very patient with the bottom 9 - think of it as a testing season.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
How much offense are they really missing with Jost out? Bourque has more ES points, after all.

Compher right now, especially with the way he started, is the guy they're missing. Especially since he's a right shot.
I hope they come to their senses when he comes back and make him the shutdown center and use Soderberg in a more offensive role.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
If the first line is on the ice more, they'll score more goals. Foolproof coaching.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Still kinda baffled why Sakic did nothing to fix our secondary scoring issues during the summer. Give this team a real 2nd line and the Avs are cruising to the playoffs.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Dont get me wrong, it sucks that our bottom 9 is decimated right now but I'm excited to see what Kam can do. It's the first time hes gotten a real shot, hopefully he can take this chance and run with it.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
I was a little hesitant to jump aboard the UFA signing bus this summer, but I'll admit after seeing exactly what areas we are struggling in, and how good this team has actually been so far I do wish it was addressed. This team would most likely be sitting atop the entire NHL right now with a non injured Compher and a 20 goal scorer on the 2nd line.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
I was a little hesitant to jump aboard the UFA signing bus this summer, but I'll admit after seeing exactly what areas we are struggling in, and how good this team has actually been so far I do wish it was addressed. This team would most likely be sitting atop the entire NHL right now with a non injured Compher and a 20 goal scorer on the 2nd line.

They are literally FOURTH in the entire league right now... 2 points out of first.

Reactions: New Scotlander

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
The Avs are 4th in the league now, but can you with a straight face really say they are the 4th best team?

Maybe. Maybe not. I think they are better than Minnesota, Vancouver, and maybe Toronto. They're all right there as well. I think the Avs are comparable to Boston as well.

The Leafs finished what 5th last year? I don't see why this Avs team can't have a similar season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And the Leafs lost in the first round. Regular season tallies don't signal who is the best team, in fact, it isn't too frequent the President Trophy winner wins the Stanley Cup.

Objectively, I don't see how you can say the Avs are better than the Lightning, Preds, Jets, Sharks, Bruins, Pens, or Leafs. Better than Minny? Not sure on that, but similar level. The Avs should be a lot better than Vancouver.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
My point was only that I could see the Avs finishing within reach of the top 5. A few things would have to go exactly right but it's possible.

But yes playoffs are another story. Experience wins cups and the Avs just don't have that yet.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
The Avs are 4th in the league now, but can you with a straight face really say they are the 4th best team?

Yes. Their first line is the best in the NHL. Their D is very solid and they have good goaltending.

They played right with Tampa and it could have been a 1-1 game... if not for offsides call.
Toronto has no D and that scoring will slow down, especially with AM out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My point was only that I could see the Avs finishing within reach of the top 5. A few things would have to go exactly right but it's possible.

But yes playoffs are another story. Experience wins cups and the Avs just don't have that yet.
The Avs don't have the depth either... The bottom 9 needs figured out before the Avs can do any real damage. Right now, find a way to shutdown the top line and the odds are very high you'll win the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad