Pre-Game Talk: Week for keeping up with the pack (@Min, @Stl, Nsh, Det)

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018

How many players would you trade MacKinnon straight up for? McDavid, Matthews?

I think McDavid and Barkov are better players tham MacKinnon. Not much but better. But how Mac has been playing the last four months I would not trade him for anyone not even for McDavid.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Good for Söderberg, proving he is worth the contract, remembering after signing his new contract with the Avalanche he immediately bought Zlatan Ibrahimovic's house in his hometown Malmö which caused some headlines in Sweden. ;-)

ezsnpfyfwhkwk.jpg
Maybe he only saw like two thirds of the house? Or just the pool house on the right?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think McDavid and Barkov are better players tham MacKinnon. Not much but better. But how Mac has been playing the last four months I would not trade him for anyone not even for McDavid.

If you get this Mackinnon every year, Mack over Barkov is he obvious choice. It’s like picking Kopitar over Malkin, can’t go wrong with either but their just better players. But man Barkov is a fantastic player and if he can stay healthy that’s going to be a damn good player for the next ~10 years.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Barkov is more complete, I wouldn't say better though.

Regardless I avoid debates like that like the plague. Jones, Barkov, and MacKinnon all turned out to be amazing players as was expected. Drouin less so, but whatever.

Reactions: 5280

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
No way I would move MacKinnon. McDavid is the only one who makes me pause. Matthews does not even come close for me. It’s not like we are witnessing MacKinnon rack up secondary assists or shoot 35 percent.

He is just straight up the best player on the ice every night.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014

How many players would you trade MacKinnon straight up for? McDavid, Matthews?

I most definitely wouldn’t trade Mackinnon for anyone in the league.

Is he the best young player in the NHL? It’s actually plausible but he needs to prove that over 2-3 years not just one breakout year. I think it’s McDavid to be fair.

But McDavid is making twice as much and under no circumstance is he twice the hockey player. Matthews, no.

Barkov is where it gets interesting. He’s not as good as Mack. No argument there. But if the Avs had a Jack Hughes type center come in. I’d consider a Mack for Barkov move. I’d of course rather trade Hughes for Barkov in that sense. But I think I prefer a balance at center and I wouldn’t want to see Mack have to exert more energy on D because his offense is so valuable. So maybe

1st line- Offensive (Mack)
2nd line- 200’ (Barkov)
3rd line- Defensive (Soda)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Barkov is pretty close to Mackinnon.

It's tough to say either way with how they're both playing but I get the argument for people who would prefer him to Mackinnon. I dont know who I would take honestly. Possibly Mack because of the injury concerns creeping out with Barkov.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Barkov is pretty close to Mackinnon.

It's tough to say either way with how they're both playing but I get the argument for people who would prefer him to Mackinnon. I dont know who I would take honestly. Possibly Mack because of the injury concerns creeping out with Barkov.

I think the reason I take Mack over him is his pure dynamic ability. Not many people can take over like Mack can and while he’s not elite defensively like Barkov, I don’t think Barkov will ever have that dynamic edge Mack does. Buuuuuuttt I can totally see why someone would take Barkov, he’s an absolute stud.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Barkov is just as capable of taking over games. Just not in the same way as Mackinnon does.

He's still one of the most underrated players in the game. Absolutely on par with the Mackinnon's/Matthews/Eichels of the game.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Barkov is just as capable of taking over games. Just not in the same way as Mackinnon does.

He's still one of the most underrated players in the game. Absolutely on par with the Mackinnon's/Matthews/Eichels of the game.

No I 100% agree he’s in the same tier as those mentioned. I just think Mack has a little bit more of an X factor offensively than Barkov.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Barkov vs Mackinnon is definitely debatable

Id only trade Mack for Mcjesus though.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Mid-December Avs were 15-15-2 and since then they have gone 23-9-6. Not always pretty but for a young team that's still figuring out how to win it's a nice stretch.

Reactions: cgf

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Crazy that we're already 2-0-0 this week.

Nashville played tonight and will be playing the 2nd night of a B2B on the road in Denver. Definitely a winnable game tomorrow. And then Detroit Sunday afternoon should be a win as well. Wings are played terrible hockey right now and seem to be in full tank mode like the rest of the bottom feeders minus Arizona.

Would be insane to go 4-0-0 this week. Dont want to get too far ahead of ourselves but...

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They had a lead in the closing minutes of the 3rd against Nashville the last time. IMO if Bednar hadn't tried to go full turtle to try and eke out a win (Bourque, Nemeth, AND Siemens all out at the same time :facepalm: ) they might've had a legit shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad