GDT: Wed Sep. 13: NYI at Flyers' rookie game, 7:00 pm ET; Final: 4-3 OT loss

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I, for one, am outraged by what I saw tonight.

These guys should be in mid-season form by now, but all I saw was rust and sloppy play. It's as if they haven't played together before.... as if these lines got thrown together a week ago.

This team has been together for years now and this is all the chemistry they have? Seriously?

Can't believe this is how they play when they know Hextall is watching and deciding opening night lineups based on this single game. They blew their only chance. Honestly, we need to blow it up and start rebuilding this rebuild because this crop of prospects aren't going to pan out.

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
Initial reaction was this felt like a classic Gordon game... have lots of talent on the roster that doesn't play as well as it should. As usual I missed the best part of the game (1st period) and tuned in when we were playing the worst. I was honestly quite disappointed,but I won't stress too much on this game. I had a hard time tracking numbers so it was hard for me to say who was at fault, but there were points that stood out.

Patrick and Lindblom were great when I seen them, but it seems like they barely played in the last 2 periods. Maybe I just didn't notice, but I was looking for them.

Friedman and Morin were the best defensmen for sure. I was quite happy with them. Friedman reminded me of ghost sometimes (though not to the same extent, relax) and Morin asserted his physical dominance well. Sanheim and Myers had their moments but I was hoping for more.

Most of the other players had good flashes, but again I had a hard time tracking who was who except for some of the bigger names.

Edit: I forgot, Vorobyev was a positive to me as well. Seemed to control the play very well and was good on both ends of the ice.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I, for one, am outraged by what I saw tonight.

These guys should be in mid-season form by now, but all I saw was rust and sloppy play. It's as if they haven't played together before.... as if these lines got thrown together a week ago.

This team has been together for years now and this is all the chemistry they have? Seriously?

Can't believe this is how they play when they know Hextall is watching and deciding opening night lineups based on this single game. They blew their only chance. Honestly, we need to blow it up and start rebuilding this rebuild because this crop of prospects aren't going to pan out.

I saw someone in a Weal jersey.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I streamed the 3rd period and ot. I missed the best part of the game the first period. What I saw in the third, hart held the fort, we were getting outplayed badly. Morin had some nice hits. Patrick looked good, sushko looked good. Friedman, yah I see ghost 2.0 in him. Bunnyman, that big dude can move, he could be a really good bottom 6 power forward.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Which one of you, who intended in person, was the guy dumping popcorn on his head?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I feel you Bernie..but just remember its a long season..and these kids have to shake off a lot of rust after the summer.

Please preface all of my comments with my previous acknowledgement that I am way too critical for a slap-together rookie lineup in mid-September. However, weren't the Islanders prospects also just as rusty? They really didn't appear to be as they owned all three zones in the third, and seemed to play a more structured 3-on-3 in OT.

I think it's the fact that we haven't had Flyers hockey to watch since April, coupled with our (generally) sky-high hopes for these prospects. For those of you who are Phantoms followers, how much of the third do you think was a reflection of Gordon's instructions to play prevent D versus the players not executing?

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I've seen too much of Gordon here in the LV. It is always fall back into a defensive shell and hope and pray they survive on great goaltending in the 3rd period with a 2 goal lead. Worked sometimes, most of the time it did not, especially if it was WBS, Hershey,New Haven, and Providence. But I have to admit, if they are down by a goal or two, he does want to attack.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I've seen too much of Gordon here in the LV. It is always fall back into a defensive shell and hope and pray they survive on great goaltending in the 3rd period with a 2 goal lead. Worked sometimes, most of the time it did not, especially if it was WBS, Hershey,New Haven, and Providence. But I have to admit, if they are down by a goal or two, he does want to attack.

Well if he's going into a defensive shell when losing that would mean he's just a stupid coach.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
While I don't know if he will make the Flyers roster this year, I liked how Sanheim played. He made mistakes but the game slowed down when the puck was on his stick. He plays like a top-paring d-man. His teammates were always looking to him when pressured. I knew the kid was highly-touted but you always want to see them in person. He is a big kid with a controlled game. To have Provorov and Sanheim at the same time in the Flyers system is simply amazing. Morin is fun to watch and will a huge fan favorite. He is stiff with the puck at times. But I hope he makes the team..... Lindblom can simply play hockey. Wow...a 5th round pick! Vorobyev stood out too. Nolan Patrick was just OK but who cares it was only a rookie game. He is a big kid though. To see a rookie game with actual prospects with skills instead of a bunch of undrafted FA's is an awesome site to see. Full building to see a rookie scrimmage was pretty cool.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think there is a chance this could happen, but the preseason hasn't even started yet.

0% chance Friedman makes the opening night roster.

He looked really good. Hopefully he can pace himself over the course of the long season he's about to experience.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Bunny-man looked the best to me last night. Crazy speed, created a ton of good chances. He would be on a breakaway, play starts going the other way after his chance, and he raced everyone down and was right back in it a head of guys.

Friedman was definitely the best Dman. Smart plays, good jumps he had it all going.

Sanheim - I liked that he took chances, obviously at an NHL level he won't be going full tilt like that.

Morin played mediocre but loved the physicality that he brought to the table. He just needs to get smarter on when he makes hits so he isn't out of position.

The Russian kids also looked good, it will be fun to see who becomes NHLers out of the group.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Please preface all of my comments with my previous acknowledgement that I am way too critical for a slap-together rookie lineup in mid-September. However, weren't the Islanders prospects also just as rusty? They really didn't appear to be as they owned all three zones in the third, and seemed to play a more structured 3-on-3 in OT.

I think it's the fact that we haven't had Flyers hockey to watch since April, coupled with our (generally) sky-high hopes for these prospects. For those of you who are Phantoms followers, how much of the third do you think was a reflection of Gordon's instructions to play prevent D versus the players not executing?

Both.

They were individually sloppy as all ****, but that is exactly the kind of stupid turtling I expect from a Gordon coached team. He's basically everything people hate about Hakstol, but then intensified and with less excuses.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
One thing we have not done, due to lack of prospects, is actually have prospects to call up thru the season.

In no way do I see Friedman making the Flyers. But would it be far fetched to have guys split time in the AHL and NHL when others hit a slump or to keep them fresh? Except for Laughton, we really have not had anyone go from NHL to AHL or back and forth thru the season. But would it be that bad if say Morin and Hagg make the team, then Sanheim gets called up when one struggles over a period of games?

We talk about guys being NHL ready. But it doesn't mean that once there, they can't get sent back down when things get tough...and reward those playing well in the AHL at the same time. Take advantage while these guys are waiver exempt.

I think we have gotten spoiled with Ghost and Provy's rookie seasons and some expect Sanheim to jump in an be great as a rookie. He may struggle. He might not. He likely will be like most young D and be up and down. Time will tell.

We shouldn't freak out about Sanheim and Myers not looking like top D prospects, just like we shouldn't hype Friedman about looking like our best Dman. Hell, it was nice to see, but it's still 1 game. Friedman will be going thru his 1st long season, let him do it in the AHL.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
One thing we have not done, due to lack of prospects, is actually have prospects to call up thru the season.

In no way do I see Friedman making the Flyers. But would it be far fetched to have guys split time in the AHL and NHL when others hit a slump or to keep them fresh? Except for Laughton, we really have not had anyone go from NHL to AHL or back and forth thru the season. But would it be that bad if say Morin and Hagg make the team, then Sanheim gets called up when one struggles over a period of games?

We talk about guys being NHL ready. But it doesn't mean that once there, they can't get sent back down when things get tough...and reward those playing well in the AHL at the same time. Take advantage while these guys are waiver exempt.

I think we have gotten spoiled with Ghost and Provy's rookie seasons and some expect Sanheim to jump in an be great as a rookie. He may struggle. He might not. He likely will be like most young D and be up and down. Time will tell.

We shouldn't freak out about Sanheim and Myers not looking like top D prospects, just like we shouldn't hype Friedman about looking like our best Dman. Hell, it was nice to see, but it's still 1 game. Friedman will be going thru his 1st long season, let him do it in the AHL.
We shouldn't freak out as it's just one useless game but for Sanheim it should have been a better showing thats's all. Myers getting hurt all the time sucks but he was free I guess.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Based on just comment, seems like Myers/Sanheim were biggest disappointments, and not that they played "bad." Expectations were high.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I didn't think anyone was awful, it just looked like there wasn't much chemistry out there which is understandable. thought Morin and Friedman were the standouts. although sanheim had some errors you could see how talented he is and the potential he possesses. I am really looking forward to him being in the nhl. Myers looked uncomfortable all night but didn't look bad per say. thought both goalies were strong, will be interesting if Lyon takes the next step this year since he is the guy in LV. he looked sharp. really hard to take much from such a sloppy game that had such an open style. some guys just don't play well in those situations and need the structure.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I would pump the breaks on Friedman though. While he had a good showing offensively he had his fair share of lapses on defensive side of the puck and were it not for Morin being back they would be way more noticeable. However coaches don't miss that stuff and especially the one who will sit Konecny and Ghost for Vdv and Amac. I just have a feeling that no matter how putrid offensively Morin and Hagg will be he will still go with them.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Friedman and Morin were the best defensmen for sure. I was quite happy with them. Friedman reminded me of ghost sometimes (though not to the same extent, relax)

Not to the same extent, but the similarity is there. Comparing scoring across NCAA conferences only tells you so much, but Friedman did produce at about 80% of the rate that Ghost did in college. (68 points in 121 games vs. 82 points in 119 games) I really hope Ghost-Friedman is a pairing in one of the preseason games.

Good job by Homer getting a 3rd out of Boston for Meszaros, and by Hexy and the scouts taking Friedman with that pick. :handclap:

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey

I think Hextall is against this thinking it might be negative for their development to go back and forth. If they do enough in his eyes, I think he wants them to stay for good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad