GDT: Wed Sep. 13: NYI at Flyers' rookie game, 7:00 pm ET; Final: 4-3 OT loss

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Patrick's vision and IQ are just too good for him not to be a 1A/1B centerman. Whenever he got the puck he did something good with it. Unfortunately, he just didn't get the puck enough.

Lindblom felt a touch quiet after a strong 1st.

Morin was a beast. He still needs to pick his moments a touch better when he goes for those big hits, but he has all the potential to be a great defenseman for us.

Unfortunately, Sanheim/Myers had weaker games.

You can't really make too many conclusions on what was basically a scrimmage. But, it was nice to finally see the group together.

Well said.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I, for one, am outraged by what I saw tonight.

These guys should be in mid-season form by now, but all I saw was rust and sloppy play. It's as if they haven't played together before.... as if these lines got thrown together a week ago.

This team has been together for years now and this is all the chemistry they have? Seriously?

Can't believe this is how they play when they know Hextall is watching and deciding opening night lineups based on this single game. They blew their only chance. Honestly, we need to blow it up and start rebuilding this rebuild because this crop of prospects aren't going to pan out.

:laugh:.
on a more serious note, chemistry issues and sloppiness is to be expected in a game like this.
Sorry we didnt get that 12-0 win with Patrick, Lindblom and Sanheim netting hat tricks :sarcasm:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Well I get that there is no chemistry and there is a ton of rust, but the isles had the same. I think we all expected more of a complete game from Sanhiem. Either it's nerves or he's just not ready yet. I could see a guy like him reverting to bad habits in a first game like this.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Sanheim will be fine, but will he make the team out of training camp or go back to the AHL? I think that's the biggest question about the roster over the next three weeks.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Sanheim will be fine, but will he make the team out of training camp or go back to the AHL? I think that's the biggest question about the roster over the next three weeks.

I feel like the best case scenario for him is to go back to the AHL and be the teams top defenseman. Unless he comes into camp and makes the team better he should stay but if he has his ups and downs throughout camp he needs more seasoning.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I feel like the best case scenario for him is to go back to the AHL and be the teams top defenseman. Unless he comes into camp and makes the team better he should stay but if he has his ups and downs throughout camp he needs more seasoning.

He already did that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think the issue for Sanheim is to understand he's not going to make the team in TC by outplaying everyone (i.e., trying too hard to stand out) but by showing he has mastered the fundamentals of the position (i.e. the coach can trust him not to screw up).

Provorov - Gudas
Morin - Ghost
Sanheim, Hagg, McDonald, Manning.

So he'd be viewed as a 3rd pair D-man his rookie year, and no coach wants a third pair D-man who is mistake prone (wants, if Manning makes the team it's because a rookie failed to shove him to the sidelines).

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I have not seen Sanheim play as much as others. But I guess it is fair to ask. Does he have anything to gain by going back to LV? If he makes the team we ae obviously going to have to live with his ups and downs as a young NHL defenseman. Even Provorov had to learn that. Well early on anyway.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I have not seen Sanheim play as much as others. But I guess it is fair to ask. Does he have anything to gain by going back to LV? If he makes the team we ae obviously going to have to live with his ups and downs as a young NHL defenseman. Even Provorov had to learn that. Well early on anyway.

He might in terms of defensive zone coverage, however I only watched the games televised of the Phantoms and was there last night where I thought he was shaky in the defensive zone but his offensive IQ was much better than I expected.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I was in the building last night. A few thoughts...

I thought Vorobyev was our best player. Such a composed, natural playmaker. The Kosorenkov love is a little surprising to me. He carried the puck with speed a few times to gain zone entries. Other than that, I thought that line was pretty much the Pimp Daddy Vorobyev show.

Patrick really got going in the 2nd and 3rd. He and Bunny created a lot of chances. I didn't think Sushko added much to that line. Bunny just needed to bury one last night.

Ratcliffe had a couple good moments, but I also saw him lose some board battles he should have won. Frost was as advertised. Smart and fast. The 3rd goal against was on Strome. He did not hustle back to rub out his man.

Lindblom was Lindblom. I thought that 1st goal was his. Just credited incorrectly. Laberge was not good. He still showed an unwillingness to battle for pucks. Rubtsov was just ok. He did draw a penalty when he got behind the D. His faceoffs still need work.

Morin was the standout D imo. Friedman was also good, but did have a few lapses. His speed is very evident.

Carter Hart must have been having flashbacks to the WJC. That's the 2nd game he would have won if only Myers would have not been hurt.

Lastly, Scott Gordon is still a bum.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I've seen people say Strome looked much slower than anyone else. Did you think that in person?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I've seen people say Strome looked much slower than anyone else. Did you think that in person?

I didn't think it was overtly glaring that he was the slowest. On the 3rd goal against it looked to me that he just didn't hustle back to take his man. I could easily be wrong. Maybe he was hustling and his skating is really just that bad.

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
I was very impressed with Rubstov. Even with the language/culture shock over the past few months, he did not look out of place.

I think an argument could be made to bring him to the AHL and bypass juniors. But if he hit a wall I suppose it would be bad news bears.

There should be no question that Morin gets one of the D call ups.
And whoop-dee-doo Sanheim didn't look strong. Give him the year down in the AHL and let him refine his skill sets. Follow the path that has been laid for Morin and Hagg. It may even be a good thing, we only have 2 spots anyway.
I will admit Myers' injury record is a bit alarming, but if I am not mistaken most of them are head (****) injuries.

NoPat looked dangerous with the puck everytime he had it. I am excite.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Didn't get to watch the game.

Disappointed to read the lackluster Sanheim reports. Happy Vorobyev played well.

Not surprised Friedman impressed. He's been impressive every time I've seen him. He tends to get overlooked, I guess because he's fairly short, but he's got a lot of talent.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Problem with Strome is good luck ever seeing him actually skate in stride. He moves around like a geriatric in a perpetual glide. Basically has no stride. I thought he looked as slow live as he did on last season's tape, but he doesn't move a lot anyway. Basically the only time you'll actually see him skate is when he puts his head down and desperation skates on the back-check.

Big guy that impressed me skating-wise was Bunnaman. I already thought his stride speed improved last year on tape, and he didn't disappoint live. Still could improve but hey.

whoop-dee-doo Sanheim

I will make a conscious effort to use this again.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Big guy that impressed me skating-wise was Bunnaman. I already thought his stride speed improved last year on tape, and he didn't disappoint live. Still could improve but hey.

I thought he skated well for a big guy, someone was praising him for his jets, which was a stretch, but he certainly didn't look like a slug, and has a nose for the puck. Though the breakaway which lead to a penalty shot showed his limitations compared to say Frost. If you're big and strong, and can shoot and have soft hands and no fear of contact, you don't have to be a candidate for the Olympic speed skating trials.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I was in the building last night. A few thoughts...

I thought Vorobyev was our best player. Such a composed, natural playmaker. The Kosorenkov love is a little surprising to me. He carried the puck with speed a few times to gain zone entries. Other than that, I thought that line was pretty much the Pimp Daddy Vorobyev show.

Yeah, Pimp Daddy knows where his girls are at all times, and doles out favors to them. He just has "it," something I don't think can be taught, that innate ice sense. And he's fast and big enough to carve out a solid top 9 role. Look forward to seeing him tear up the AHL, though I think if Laughton falters he's got an outside shot at a roster spot.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I didn't think it was overtly glaring that he was the slowest. On the 3rd goal against it looked to me that he just didn't hustle back to take his man. I could easily be wrong. Maybe he was hustling and his skating is really just that bad.

He did the old Vinny glide on the ice every time I watched him....kind of a sign his skating is suspect. Heck I should know...I do it playing roller hockey these days but mostly because my stamina is not that of a 20 year old anymore....but my skating has always needed refinement. Have other skillsets to compensate..or had them...lol

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
I think the issue for Sanheim is to understand he's not going to make the team in TC by outplaying everyone (i.e., trying too hard to stand out) but by showing he has mastered the fundamentals of the position (i.e. the coach can trust him not to screw up).

Provorov - Gudas
Morin - Ghost
Sanheim, Hagg, McDonald, Manning.

So he'd be viewed as a 3rd pair D-man his rookie year, and no coach wants a third pair D-man who is mistake prone (wants, if Manning makes the team it's because a rookie failed to shove him to the sidelines).

I would surprised to see Morin getting top 4 minutes but definitely want him on the Flyers. He is a beast physically but he does lose the puck a little too much. I think too many people are expecting too much from Sanheim. I was excited by his skills last night. Don't focus on the results in a game like that but his overall skill set. No doubt in my mind that he is an NHL'er but he is will be probably squeezed out due to the idea of too much youth on the blue line. Myers looked average to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad