GDT: Wed Sep. 13: NYI at Flyers' rookie game, 7:00 pm ET; Final: 4-3 OT loss

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The logical part of my brain knows it's no big deal, but it's the knee-jerk Flyers-fan part that HATES seeing sloppy play and unconverted chances. I was dismayed by the absence of strong puck control and movement by Sanheim in the OT, where he should absolutely shine. I was grinding my teeth at the wave after wave of Islander zone entries in the third, without any push-back to speak of.

The fan part simply activates when a team of Flyers-shirt-wearing players go up against players not wearing Flyers shirts. I would probably get emotionally invested in the Puppy Bowl if one side were wearing orange and black.

That being spewed, I was pleased with Hart's work. He moved efficiently, tracked pucks well, and squared up shooters. He had zero chance on the second and third goals, and there are only so many 2-on-1's a team can give up in OT.

I feel you Bernie..but just remember its a long season..and these kids have to shake off a lot of rust after the summer.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Agree with the positive comments on Vorobyev. He looked like the same guy who did so well at the last WJC. Very good passer, great vision, good size and skilled in the face-off circle.

Other positive impressions:

- Lindblom had a strong game.

- Patrick did some nice stuff. The vision, positioning and puck skills are all there.

- Friedman was our best defender tonight, imo. He plays a smart game.

- I liked Bunny's game. Good skater for his size and seemed to be thinking the positional game well.

- Carter Hart made some big stops in the second and third.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Couple observations:

Goalies: I think they both had a solid game. Defensive breakdowns were consistent throughout the game and they made some good plays. Lyon, who doesn't get talked about much, had a good game. Interesting to see if he takes it to another level in the AHL this season.

Defense: This was the weak point on the team. Sanhiem and Myers both had below average games. I like Friedman and would consider it a tick above average game for him (his skating is really nice) but I counted around 3-4 times easily (could be more) he pitched incorrectly and caused a rush the other way (two times I watched a forward backtrack and cover for him) I had to check the roster a few times to see what number it was that was going down like a winger. The invites were average. Morin had a good game and was the top defender imo.

Forwards: Where to start. The Russian duo and tar I thought was our best line all night. Tar slowed down near the end but the other two had a strong presence all game. Patrick had about an average game. Nice plays when he had the puck which was his biggest problem.... he didn't get the puck much. Lindbolm I thought was the team's best forward and possibly player. I was examining each time he was in a board battle and counted only twice did he lose it. Frost had a solid 1 1/2 periods but then trailed off. Rubstov a solid 1st, dissapeared for two periods and then a solid OT. Strome really can't skate but you can see the skills. He 100% needs to improve that or he won't be an NHL player. Laberge had a really good 1st but didn't even see him the rest of the game. Ratcliff had trouble handling the puck all game but seemed to be a smart player. Bunny man I thought was ok. Did some good stuff but was pretty invisible for most of the game.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's 1 game. People need to relax if they think this 1 games means anything about where guys will end up to start the season.

But FWIW, most have been saying we expect Myers for sure to start in the AHL and Sanheim to be likely as well.....even though he was better than Hagg last year.

Friedman looked great. If that continues, we could have quite the logjam soon.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
This thread didn't disappoint. A lot of sloppy hockey tonight, but it's early.

On the bright side I caught a t-shirt!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's 1 game. People need to relax if they think this 1 games means anything about where guys will end up to start the season.

But FWIW, most have been saying we expect Myers for sure to start in the AHL and Sanheim to be likely as well.....even though he was better than Hagg last year.

Friedman looked great. If that continues, we could have quite the logjam soon.

Yeah this game has little bearing on anything really. If the players who struggled have a good preseason then thats all that matters.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Not much hasn't been said here. The success each player had in the game correlated generally with their age and experience, breaking news.

Kosorenkov has creativity and ability to execute it. To be a pro, he's gonna have to drop that habbit of holding the puck too long and losing it, at least in the neutral zone. Hopefully we get him signed and see what he and Laberge can do with another year to gain track.

Friedman was a real treat. I'm not really sure what to make of the logjam we could have coming up.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Went to the game. Favorite part all night was Patrick, in the third after having a nice chance, skating back to the bench during a stoppage, looking at Bellows, and randomly crosschecking the **** out of him. He must've said something :laugh:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
My impressions as a Caps fan watching the game from section 103

Friedman stood out tonight, even before the goal. Kid has some serious straightaway speed, and used it both to push the puck through neutral ice and to recover on a couple broken plays. Easily your best defenseman tonight, had a terrific game.

Sanheim was very noticeable, but sloppy. Constantly involved in the play on both ends of the ice. But I noticed for playing loose as much as I noticed him for making a play.

Hart looked big and generally looked very sound in net. Good at staying square to the shooter and occupying a lot of net. But giving up three goals in that short span is hard to ignore. First goal he had no chance on, though.

Lyon gave up fewer goals, but was challenged a lot less. The best shot against him was the one that went in. Islanders didn't start rolling until the 2nd period.

Rubstov hardly touched the puck all game until 3-on-3 OT (and even then he was fairly indecisive). Poor game from him, which is upsetting for me as someone who owns him in a dynasty league.

Lindblom was exceptional at protecting the puck along the boards in a couple different sequences. Really stood out in that way. Hard to say how well he'd do in that same respect against NHL defensemen as opposed to Islanders prospects.

Sebastian Aho was the best player on the ice tonight, easily outshining all of the Flyers defensemen. Friedman was the only one that was close.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Yeah most people have already said what I would've. Vorobyev and Friedman were standouts. Marky Mark joined the rush a ridiculous amount, even SH....but I didn't see him make many ill-advised aggressive plays though. Standing out offensively with Sanheim and Myers was impressive. Did make one dangerous pass onto an Isles stick from behind his net though. Sanheim had more tunnel vision than usual. Myers must've been open a half dozen times for a one timer and he didn't look, just shot. Both were off.

Thought Morin improved as the game went on and he is always great with the body. Structure wasn't this game's strong suit and it looked like a classic Scott Gordon style game -- chips outs and home runs dumps galore! -- but he still had a few issues moving the puck out with possession. Everyone did though. But that was something he needs to improve on anyway and will be a focus in main camp.

Patrick and Lindblom didn't blow anyone away with highlight stuff, though they had their moments, but it was so so obvious in a slop fest that they played with a pro level of detail. They were a cut above. Pimp Daddy too. Lindblom could not be checked off pucks. Patrick probably was a bit more pass happy than usual, though he always thrives on the quick passes and give and go's. Rubtsov disappeared for awhile, Frost too. That's ok. Ratcliffe had a good 1st and created some havoc off the rush. Bunnaman I thought was real solid, and his skating looks like it's getting there watching in person. Kosorenkov really flashed his speed and skill and compete. He was such a worker below the dots, though he did a bit too much holding onto it in the corners instead of working the cycle, but he can when he wants. Just give him a contract already.

Thought Laberge was pretty invisible minus a rush play in the 1st. Had him on the PK for some reason. In a sloppy game with room for some skill, it was disappointing. He was still shying from some contact too, and I thought his skating had a lack of burst.

Most of the rest just sort of blended in.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Cant wait to see Patrick and Lindblom in a more structured Pro style game.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I was at the game tonight sitting second level at center ice so I had a few observations:

Thought Friedman and Vorobyev were the best on ice tonight, and confirms everything I've read about Friedman absolutely bringing it this summer. Excited to see what Vorobyev does in the AHL this year.

Lindblom had a strong first but didn't notice him much thereafter, I don't think he had much playing time though. Same with Ratcliffe he was all over in the first but didn't notice much after.

Patrick was playing at half speed and made a couple nice passes in the neutral zone and o zone. Had a nice backcheck at the end to break up an odd man rush, place would have gone wild if he potted that goal at the end.

Morgan Frost also stood out to me, he's got great hockey sense and skating ability, I am very excited to see how he does.

On the back end, I thought Morin was a little bit too aggressive early on, and that he has to learn to pick his spots but he still had a solid game. Sanheim and Myers were a bit out of sync but they are not the best partners for each other. I think both still have a bit to learn, specifically in the d zone, however Sanheim made a number of plays in the offensive zone tonight.

I think Morin and Hagg are near locks at this point to make the roster but still a long way to go!

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Fun game to be at. Crowd was great.

Morin is definitely making the Flyers roster. I think Patrick will as well, looked like an NHLer out there. Calm, cool, and collected and I imagine he wasn't at 100% since this was his first competitive game in a while.

Sanheim and Myers didn't look great. Friedman and Voro looked very good. Ratcliffe looks very raw, not a bad thing but definitely needs to work on his hands. Didn't notice Lindblom too much.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Patrick's vision and IQ are just too good for him not to be a 1A/1B centerman. Whenever he got the puck he did something good with it. Unfortunately, he just didn't get the puck enough.

Lindblom felt a touch quiet after a strong 1st.

Morin was a beast. He still needs to pick his moments a touch better when he goes for those big hits, but he has all the potential to be a great defenseman for us.

Unfortunately, Sanheim/Myers had weaker games.

You can't really make too many conclusions on what was basically a scrimmage. But, it was nice to finally see the group together.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Not sure what happened in the 3rd but the malaise of the regular season Flyers teams of kicking the bucket in OT's seemed to have beset the rookies. They were buzzing and controlling the play for most of the game and then the wheels fell off. So frustrating to the point that I yelled I wanted my money back when the Isles scored....

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It was one game and he's turning 22 soon, so perspective is needed, but I'm glad more people got a chance to see Friedman.

I was at the game, so I haven't watched the broadcast yet. How was Meltzer?

First time on XXXX's stream?

Please delete the name if you would. The one thing he asks is not to publicize like that. It ends up ruining it for everyone.

Last edited:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Underrated moment: I was walking towards the WFC behind a group of dudes. One of them yells "Hockeybuzz Eklund!!" at a truck that was pulling into the private stadium parking. It was Eklund. He waved to us and said Hi lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad