Post-Game Talk: Wear your bag with pride! ... Oilers win 4-0

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
He did do something extremely smart though. Instead of standing around being useless, he decided to shadow Edler and take him completely out of the play, thus making it a 4 on 3 instead of a 5 on 3.5

Yep it worked out rather good. He did not look as useless as guys often look with no stick on the PK.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
If it makes you that upset you could just hit the "ignore" button. You know that right?

And you could stand to back up your position with a little bit more than year old stats that say nothing and "you need to watch more hockey" if it is so accurate...

Especially when dealing with numbers that still, to this day, are riddled with variables and dynamics that those who believe in them so strongly refuse to account for.

Last edited:

The Perfect Human*

And you could stand to back up your position with a little bit more than year old stats that say nothing and "you need to watch more hockey" if it is so accurate...

Especially when dealing with numbers that still, to this day, are riddled with variables and dynamics that those who believe in them so strongly refuse to account for.

I don't see Corey Sznajder doubting the accuracy/reliability of these stats at all - apart from having a limited (200 game) sample number.

The process for tracking zone exits is fairly simple. I count every time a certain player touches the puck in the defensive zone while he is attempting to advance the puck forward, and note the number of times he was successfully able to do so. In addition, I track the puck was carried out, passed out, or moved out by another method, and also note if he turned the puck over or ended up icing it. Turnovers are tracked to show which players are doing more harm than good for their teams and more likely to be on-ice for goals and scoring chances against.

It's a stat that takes into account that the defensive partner may be the one actually moving the puck out, regardless of this defenseman getting credit for a "touch", but holds the defenseman responsible if it results in a turnover/icing.

Are you surprised that the bottom-20 is basically a who's who of heavy-minute-playing, one-dimensional shut down defensemen?

Again, instead of throwing an internet temper tantrum, you can just hit the ignore button.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
How cool is it that we're playing meaningful games in April?

I think that's what we were all hoping for back in January.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
How cool is it that we're playing meaningful games in April?

I think that's what we were all hoping for back in January.

Yep.

It's nice to scoreboard watch hoping to pass teams instead of being afraid we'll pass them.

To be honest I don't expect the Oilers to be able to pull off a playoff spot but for now I'm just happy to feel relevant.

Allforshow

Mar 13, 2013
Oilers finally win a game I was at. Being in that building was amazing tonight. For the first time I feel good and entertained during and after an oilers game. Can't wait to go to the Calgary game Monday

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I don't see Corey Sznajder doubting the accuracy/reliability of these stats at all - apart from having a limited (200 game) sample number.

It's a stat that takes into account that the defensive partner may be the one actually moving the puck out, regardless of this defenseman getting credit for a "touch", but holds the defenseman responsible if it results in a turnover/icing.

Are you surprised that the bottom-20 is basically a who's who of heavy-minute-playing, one-dimensional shut down defensemen?

Again, instead of throwing an internet temper tantrum, you can just hit the ignore button.

Internet temper tantrum?

Why can't you just back your assertions up with proper measurements? Seems you're not willing to have anyone disagree with you.

If you're going to keep waxing poetic on every player in the league, and can't have anyone question your methods, there are plenty of blogs out there with a handful of followers that think with a bee hive mentality that you'll feel much more comfortable with.

If you want to do it here, don't expect the same response. There's a great many here who see these types of numbers for what they are. They are tools that once they starting moving away from team or unit based assessment begin to lose a ton of their validity and context.

Best man up and support your position better or stick to the blogs, and don't be surprised if someone calls you out for making assertions with weak supporting data.

#thirdlineskillset

The Perfect Human*

Internet temper tantrum?

Why can't you just back your assertions up with proper measurements? Seems you're not willing to have anyone disagree with you.

If you're going to keep waxing poetic on every player in the league, and can't have anyone question your methods, there are plenty of blogs out there with a handful of followers that think with a bee hive mentality that you'll feel much more comfortable with.

If you want to do it here, don't expect the same response. There's a great many here who see these types of numbers for what they are. They are tools that once they starting moving away from team or unit based assessment begin to lose a ton of their validity and context.

Best man up and support your position better or stick to the blogs, and don't be surprised if someone calls you out for making assertions with weak supporting data.

#thirdlineskillset

Okay I'm sorry. Ladi Smid and Nick Schultz are top-notch puck-moving defensemen in this league.

As a manually assessed number, those numbers are pretty hard to delude with random stats/etc. Does a pretty good job of capturing what you're describing as a "dynamic" component of the game.

It's a completely qualitative assessment (which is what you need with dynamic plays), the only thing quantitative about is # of touches, the # of turnovers, and the # of successful break-outs. And even that is qualitatively assessed by direct observation, not any random numbers.

But if the implications/meaning of that doesn't make sense to you that's alright. Ability to process/comprehend such things aren't for everybody.

pocketful

"We'll see"
Feb 3, 2012
Wow, what a game and what a team effort. Hall is such a force. Eberle looks like his old self. RNH continues to impress me even if he is not scoring. Yakupov looking more comfortable and definitely on his way to being a complete player. Dubnyk shutting the door. Petry stole the show for me though; he could be a stud if he plays like this consistently.

Not sure if we can sneak into the final playoff spot but it feels good to be competing hard.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
This is what happens when you start finally listening to the coach. :)

Just about perfect system play, and really exposed Vancouvers slow defense and lack of depth. I've watch a few of the last Canuck games, and though they have been winning, they certainly looked beatable as well.

Team played great, the thing that stuck me was how much Yak has improved in his own zone. I can't remember a player improving so fast so quickly. Being with Horcoff really has helped him come along. Alas, Jones didn't look very good again, so I would find someone on that wing that yak can set up.

Next up, 2 games with the flames. These are critical, we all know the Oilers play their best against the best teams, while have stinkers against weaker teams, but they have to win the next game to put pressure on the Blues.

The thing with this team is once they have confidence in themselves, they are almost unbeatable. We have seen huge win streaks a couple times from seasons before, and you can see it starting again now. (2006 is a good example) Considering the remaining games, and we are playing some really top teams, this is a great sign to see the team play such a complete game.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Okay I'm sorry. Ladi Smid and Nick Schultz are top-notch puck-moving defensemen in this league.

As a manually assessed number, those numbers are pretty hard to delude with random stats/etc. Does a pretty good job of capturing what you're describing as a "dynamic" component of the game.

It's a completely qualitative assessment (which is what you need with dynamic plays), the only thing quantitative about is # of touches, the # of turnovers, and the # of successful break-outs. And even that is qualitatively assessed by direct observation, not any random numbers.

But if the implications/meaning of that doesn't make sense to you that's alright. Ability to process/comprehend such things aren't for everybody.

And now I can't comprehend it...lol.

How many Oiler games accounted for? Who was Smid partner? Who was the opposition? What game circumstance were these plays in? Was the lack of break out a direct result of the play by that of the dman in question?

Lets start with a very easy one...are the stats you are using to prove your assertion of Justin and Nick Schultz or Smid and Petry from this season. Yes or no?

Insulting my comprehension abilities when using 2011-12 stats and a blog from Nov 2011. It's like you're not even reading what you're posting anymore...I honestly can't believe anyone would actually try something so ridiculous.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Canuck board is so funny. Of course not one of them are actually giving the Oilers any credit at all for totally out playing the nuckers.

Canucks just didn't have it, and only Louie saved them from a complete and total a@@ kicking.

The Perfect Human*

And now I can't comprehend it...lol.

How many Oiler games accounted for? Who was Smid partner? Who was the opposition? What game circumstance were these plays in? Was the lack of break out a direct result of the play by that of the dman in question?

Lets start with a very easy one...are the stats you are using to prove your assertion of Justin and Nick Schultz or Smid and Petry from this season. Yes or no?

Insulting my comprehension abilities when using 2011-12 stats and a blog from Nov 2011. It's like you're not even reading what you're posting anymore...I honestly can't believe anyone would actually try something so ridiculous.

They're from 11-12. Smid played with Gilbert/Petry - 2 similar players in puck-moving ability. But it's fine, I'll end it there.

#smidandschultzfornorris

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
They're from 11-12. Smid played with Gilbert/Petry - 2 similar players in puck-moving ability. But it's fine, I'll end it there.

#smidandschultzfornorris

Yeah, Smid and Schultz for the Norris, that's what I'm saying.

I also noticed that you can't answer a single variable in that rock solid proof of yours. All this from simply not admitting how horribly flawed the data was in the first place.

Everyone and his dog knows Petry is the puck mover between him and Smid, it's the concept that Smid somehow drags Petry down and holds him back being proven by this data of yours that was so flawed.

Better luck next time.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Lets just appreciate a brilliant game as a fanbase guys. Few of these moments that have occured. I just watched the game second time on CBC's great game in an hour feature. It goes even better with rum n coke.

For the long suffering younger fans that haven't seen this club do much I repeat, this is the start of something special.

This team is arriving and finding its way.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
What a ****in' game eh boys? That was a fun one, not a thing to complain about after that one. Hall is such a beast, kid line was fantastic. The pressure and cycle they got going was a treat to watch. That game could have been 8-0 or more. I hope we just ****in' steamroll the dirtbag Flames two straight and make a run here.

Paper bag power ftw!

:yo::yo::yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad