Post-Game Talk: Wear your bag with pride! ... Oilers win 4-0

Conkanen*

The best hockey is played by playing all zones.

Nothing could be more clear in tonights win.

The difference between this win and barely managing a Win in Chicago after a 4 goal bulge is controlling whole ice the whole game.

Good D and good allzone play creates turnovers and chances all night. Thats the real story here.

Bang on. It was why I could sit back and relax and enjoy the game after the first 10 min. The Oilers were all over them. Hrudey mentioned as much too. Just a great game with the result never in doubt.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Hate to use a soccer example, but the Oilers are playing hockey catenaccio style, where the best of the Italian teams focus on D first, and then score with creativity on the counterattack.

If teams can stop the counter, Oilers will still struggle to score

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
Canuck board is so funny. Of course not one of them are actually giving the Oilers any credit at all for totally out playing the nuckers.

Canucks just didn't have it, and only Louie saved them from a complete and total a@@ kicking.

I think that might have more to do with them just dumping all over their team.

Regardless of the opponent, when the Canucks lose like they did tonight, the fan base here turns on the team quite quickly IMO.

What a ****in' game eh boys? That was a fun one, not a thing to complain about after that one. Hall is such a beast, kid line was fantastic. The pressure and cycle they got going was a treat to watch. That game could have been 8-0 or more. I hope we just ****in' steamroll the dirtbag Flames two straight and make a run here.

Paper bag power ftw!

:yo::yo::yo:

Don't tell that to hemsky_83 :sarcasm:

Playoffs aren't too late this year.

Can this team muster up a record solid enough in April in order to make the post season? That remains to be seen. If the Oilers can consistently show up every game, they've got a good shot.

Agreed. If they put in the effort they did tonight and stick to the system for the remaining games, they've got a shot at that last spot this year.

Who is this guy, pretending to be a Nuks fan? Nice try but your being waaaayyyy too classy to be believable.:laugh:

Every one of my friends out here are Canucks fans and TBH, they're all pretty good. Most of them are actually excited for me as an Oiler fan and their future because they know how much I have suffered through living and dying with this team :)

They all admit that the reason most of them hate the Oilers is because of the constant beat downs we used to lay on them in the 80's with such a dominant team.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
too bad I only had 125vcash on the oilers last night.
I see hallofgreatness lost 40,000vcash. that was good to see.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I used to call him Norris Petry.

Then Jefflas Petstrom.

Jeff Petryangelo fits perfectly though.

I know you're being aggressively sarcastic with this statement, but to describe him last night, it's accurate.

Jeff Petry was the best player on the ice last night, he dominated.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Should also point out that Columbus and Van were both very hot and stingy coming into the games.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Shoops wants it bad to, and truthfully if you could do it and bring him back I would be down. However that not being possible, he needs to stay, he's clearly, as you said, a valuable player.

And I'll say this, and he doesn't get enough credit for this, he's still a proud, hard working, positive and inspired member of the Edmonton Oilers despite the years of losing and the ridiculous vitriol from the fans.

Of course I'd keep him at a reasonable price.

Everyone arguing against buying out Horcoff claims that we don't need the cap room next year. I think that next season is the perfect chance to go for a cup because the team has cap room. Buying out Horcoff is big chunk of cash for other uses.

Horcoff didn't play that well last night. Provides leadership, good on the PK and on the dot. Those are valuable things to have, but not at the price tag. I think as the kids learn those facets of the game his value to the team diminishes.

I love how the team played last night. I think the return for cutting Horcoff is in the best interest of the team. Two more seasons at $5.5M per season. The cap is going to get real tight real soon.

The Perfect Human*

I know you're being aggressively sarcastic with this statement, but to describe him last night, it's accurate.

Jeff Petry was the best player on the ice last night, he dominated.

All things serious, he's hands down my favorite defenseman since Pitkanen. I see more upside to him than I saw with Visnovsky/Souray. I've been following him closely since his MSU days.

Those nicknames were things I used to taunt Flames fans friends, but he's been playing pretty well.

Not at a #1 level, but as a top-pairing level. But that's what passes as a #1 around here, a fanbase that hasn't seen a true #1 in 7 years.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
Interesting to see the other perspective:

The real core data: the Oilers scored on their first four scoring chances of the game. On their fifth they hit the post. On their sixth they really should've scored except Ales Hemsky decided to read the first half of War and Peace before unleashing a wrister that Roberto Luongo stopped.

Let's give a lot of credit to Taylor Hall who was dynamite off the bat in this one. Dude can flat out fly and is as slippery as a fish in traffic too. His first goal was particularly wicked, as he gave Schneider no real chance with a pitch perfect snipe while coming down on his off wing. Lovely stuff.

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/3/31/canucks-embarrassed-by-hall-oilers-at-rexall

I thought he bobbled the puck myself, and by the time he got the shot away it was too late.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
All things serious, he's hands down my favorite defenseman since Pitkanen. I see more upside to him than I saw with Visnovsky/Souray. I've been following him closely since his MSU days.

Those nicknames were things I used to taunt Flames fans friends, but he's been playing pretty well.

Not at a #1 level, but as a top-pairing level. But that's what passes as a #1 around here, a fanbase that hasn't seen a true #1 in 7 years.

No I agree he's not, but a #2 as he trusts his talent level more and more, I could see it going forward. He keeps increasing physicality and nastiness each game which will only serve him well going forward. The Kid's a keeper, imo.

And yes, we have missed a #1 for a while.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007

The real core data: the Oilers scored on their first four scoring chances of the game. On their fifth they hit the post. On their sixth they really should've scored except Ales Hemsky decided to read the first half of War and Peace before unleashing a wrister that Roberto Luongo stopped.

Let's give a lot of credit to Taylor Hall who was dynamite off the bat in this one. Dude can flat out fly and is as slippery as a fish in traffic too. His first goal was particularly wicked, as he gave Schneider no real chance with a pitch perfect snipe while coming down on his off wing. Lovely stuff.

I thought he bobbled the puck myself, and by the time he got the shot away it was too late.

Yes, it bounced on him when he first went to shoot.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
You guys have one of the best young player in the league in Hall IMO. Amazing player, great attitude and a winner everywhere he's played.

He's just scratching the surface of what he can do. I can see him putting up PPG with 35-40 goals a year on any of the top two lines the Oilers have.

I don't know how the Oilers have struggled on ES...they get so many chances.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
too bad I only had 125vcash on the oilers last night.
I see hallofgreatness lost 40,000vcash. that was good to see.

How the heck do you accumulate 40 grand? Do v-bets accrue from previous years? I ventured 50 bucks on the Oilers. :nod:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
You guys have one of the best young player in the league in Hall IMO. Amazing player, great attitude and a winner everywhere he's played.

He's just scratching the surface of what he can do. I can see him putting up PPG with 35-40 goals a year on any of the top two lines the Oilers have.

I don't know how the Oilers have struggled on ES...they get so many chances.

Hopefully last night was a sign that the struggle is over.

Last night there were many times when they were able to keep the cycle going offensively and break out of their own end quickly.

Neither of those two had been happening on a regular basis until recently.

Last edited:

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
How the heck do you accumulate 40 grand? Do v-bets accrue from previous years? I ventured 50 bucks on the Oilers. :nod:

Ok, I see it's reset every year and that some people have over a million! WTF! Hope they're getting some real action/money with that kind of talent (luck?).

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Great effort by the Oilers from start to finish... didn't let off and it paid off.

Now that IS the type of game that a young team can learn from... keep up the pressure and teams don't get the chance to crawl back in it.

Dubnyk played solid in net... made the saves when he had to and never gave any life to the Canucks.

Sedins were effectively neutered all game long.

Luongo actually had a very good game. I agree he really was one of the stars of the game and it would have been a complete blowout without him making some spectacular saves.

Hard to find much to complain about after that win... I guess you might want the Oilers to have scored on more of their many, many opportunities... but it wasn't as if they quit and let up... they had chances all through the game and hit posts and had a tough goalie to beat... yet still dominated and shut them out.

Arguably it's probably good in a way that they didn't just bury them completely... the team kept at the same gameplan all game and maybe if it was 6-0 or 7-0 after 20 minutes the Oilers would have taken the foot off the gas and sat back a little more and got scored on.

This way though they seemed to play as if the 4 goal lead wasn't enough... they kept playing hard and played well in both ends.

It was a very solid game that really showed the potential they have if they commit to playing 60 minutes of hard, intense hockey.

Now just hoping they can do that again and again to stretch this 3 game streak to 4-5-6+ games.

We all know they have the potential to do it... they just have to realize it as well.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hate to use a soccer example, but the Oilers are playing hockey catenaccio style, where the best of the Italian teams focus on D first, and then score with creativity on the counterattack.

If teams can stop the counter, Oilers will still struggle to score

Actually I thought they cycled the puck in the Canucks end for long periods last night, and were very unlucky to not score on many of the chances. Especially the big line spent a majority of the game buzzing around Luongo.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Actually I thought they cycled the puck in the Canucks end for long periods last night, and were very unlucky to not score on many of the chances. Especially the big line spent a majority of the game buzzing around Luongo.

Simply the best game the kids have played. A virtuoso performance and ironically serving up better than Sedins hockey to the Nuckleheads.

What a statement game.

Last time I saw the Nucks this stunned was any time they've hit a wall in the playoffs.

Dubs not getting much credit but fantastic first period especially when the game was still in the making.

luongo and goal posts actually played well or the scoreline is much worse:p:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Canucks fan said it was a snipe. Most HFOil said it was a snipe.

Hemsky_83 said it was just Schneider sucking:laugh:

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
I'm sure it's been discussed already, but the fact that nobody on the Oilers grabbed Bieksa and rammed him face-first into the ice hard enough to create an extra faceoff dot annoys me.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
RNH is a magician with the puck. I know it was Hall's night, but RNH was all over the Nucks offensively and defensively. Reminded me of Datsyuk in that regard. AV said himself it was tough to match any line against them because they were just too good. That setup on Hall second's goal was a thing of beauty. Drew almost 4 Nucks towards himself and gave Hall a wide open lane. Very impressed with RNH lately, hopefully he keeps it going.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
Simply the best game the kids have played. A virtuoso performance and ironically serving up better than Sedins hockey to the Nuckleheads.

What a statement game.

Last time I saw the Nucks this stunned was any time they've hit a wall in the playoffs.

Dubs not getting much credit but fantastic first period especially when the game was still in the making.

luongo and goal posts actually played well or the scoreline is much worse:p:

Not to sound like a broken record, but the kid line was giving the Canucks' D fits all night long. They looked like a true #1 line against a good NHL team, which is incredibly refreshing after everything we've seen since 2006.

Alex87

May 26, 2008
Edmonton
RNH is a magician with the puck. I know it was Hall's night, but RNH was all over the Nucks offensively and defensively. Reminded me of Datsyuk in that regard. AV said himself it was tough to match any line against them because they were just too good. That setup on Hall second's goal was a thing of beauty. Drew almost 4 Nucks towards himself and gave Hall a wide open lane. Very impressed with RNH lately, hopefully he keeps it going.

Agreed, RNH has really found his game lately, which is quite a relief. Ditto for Eberle. Both of them have looked much better as of late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad