Weaponizing cap space

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Montreal and Winnipeg providing a perfect example of 'weaponizing cap space'...Habs acquire Joel Armia, a serviceable bottom-line center and goalie Steve Mason, who they immediately put on unconditional waivers for a buy-out, also get two later round draft picks. And all they gave up was a D-level prospect in Simon Bourque.

And it's also a clear 'win' for the Jets because they now have enough money to sign Stastny. Of course it takes a GM who knows what he's doing.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Montreal and Winnipeg providing a perfect example of 'weaponizing cap space'...Habs acquire Joel Armia, a serviceable bottom-line center and goalie Steve Mason, who they immediately put on unconditional waivers for a buy-out, also get two later round draft picks. And all they gave up was a D-level prospect in Simon Bourque.

And it's also a clear 'win' for the Jets because they now have enough money to sign Stastny. Of course it takes a GM who knows what he's doing.

Yep. Guess our team isn't interested in that part of rebuilding. Just like they weren't interested in trade deadline moves to aquire picks.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I almost think Benning doesn't want to add anymore draft picks because he's done all the "heavy lifting" and is looking to fill out his championship roster with 26-32 year olds. If I recall correctly he said that Hughes was the final piece of the puzzle.

Reactions: Jyrki21

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I almost think Benning doesn't want to add anymore draft picks because he's done all the "heavy lifting" and is looking to fill out his championship roster with 26-32 year olds. If I recall correctly he said that Hughes was the final piece of the puzzle.
Totally. Exactly what he said. Brilliant work ;)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

From a cash POV, they agreed to pay $12 million each for Beagle/Roussel. Habs are paying $2.75 million to buyout Mason. So, what does Armia sign for? $2.75 million per over 4 years gets them to $11 million. So, is paying an extra $1.75 million worth getting roughly the same type of production, but with a younger player and a 4th and 7th round pick?

If you are going to spend the money what are you getting.

I'm not going to any games this year. Haven't for a while, unless someone gives me the tickets.

Wonder how many people who would consider buying tickets are going to wait to see who makes the team before they commit. If it's just EP as the only rookie, do you want to buy the tix? If it's just EP, might as well just get ice packs for 1/4 of the season or something.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Weaponizing cap space will become a thing in Vancouver in about three years, when a rebuilding team offers up a nothing prospect in exchange for Beagle and a first round pick.

Reactions: THE Green Man

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Lindenning seems to want to spend all the cap space on 3rd and 4th lines. May as well lock the thread

hilariously, this article was the first thing that showed up on the auto-fill when i typed "canucks" into my browser--

The Vancouver Canucks have expressed interest in “weaponizing” their cap space and could still find deals to get it done.

The Montreal Canadiens took on veteran goalie Steve Mason and his $4.1-million contract and got a pair of draft picks from Winnipeg to do it.

It’s the type of deal that has been discussed in Vancouver for years but one the Canucks have been reluctant to make.

Surprisingly, the NHL team has changed its public position on these type of deals, which require taking on a “bad contract.” For years it was a non-starter but this spring team president Trevor Linden promised the team would explore these options.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
'Weaponizing' their cap space?.....Canucks have circled the wagons and shot inward.

Reactions: Pip

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
This'll be an interesting thread to revisit on July 2nd.

And the winner is:

Weaponizing cap space for a year or two when "our guys" dont need huge contract extensions is simply the best option in terms of asset management. 1 -2 years of dead cap is not a problem for this team. Problems arise when subpar players are signed long-term ala Eriksson. That's not weaponizing cap, that's poor management.

Come on down with your shiny new contracts, Beagle and Roussel!

Reactions: SillyRabbit

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Just lol @ expecting Benning to do something intelligent with the Canucks cap space.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just lol @ expecting Benning to do something intelligent with the Canucks cap space.
Amazing that the structure of these contracts is also front end loaded, so he's spending more of Aquaman's money.

It's not just $3 million, it is closer to $4 million in years 1 & 2 for 4th liners..... Wow... Just wow.... From the top down. Who gives the authorization to spend that kind of money that way.....

No tears coming from me when we see a couple of thousand empty seats in the lower bowl this year. Just a head shake....

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Lucic apparently wants to be moved badly. We will probably weaponize our cap space and put together a nice deal for him :)

Weaponizing cap space to have the pleasure to be able to pick up Looch.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Doubt even the most rabid Benning supporters actually EXPECTED him to pull of something like this.

I just wanted to speculate what could be done. Feels bad when your teams management comes out and says this kind of deal isn't available at the moment, and a day later two instances take place in the Steve Mason and Brooks Orpik deals.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Lucic apparently wants to be moved badly. We will probably weaponize our cap space and put together a nice deal for him :)

Weaponizing cap space to have the pleasure to be able to pick up Looch.
Cause we need that winning culture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad