Weaponizing cap space

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Have to agree....in order to effectively 'weaponize' cap space a GM has to know what he's doing. First he needs to identify a bad contract that another team needs to get rid of

Interesting point. I've never actually thought about it from that angle. Benning and Linden can't trade for bad contracts because they don't know one looks like.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Interesting point. I've never actually thought about it from that angle. Benning and Linden can't trade for bad contracts because they don't know one looks like.

They don't even need to eat bad contracts, you just need to have chutzpah let other teams know you are prepared to grease the wheels of their trades or signings. What's that, tampa wants to add Karlsson but doesn't have the room? Ottawa trades to the Canucks, Canucks retain 50% and trade to Tampa.

I don't even think there is a rule against signing a UFA and trading him with 50% retention that same day. Let it be known you will help a team get their UFA even though they can't quite afford them. You could literally buy picks on D1 of UFA season.

desiboyyessir

Nov 2, 2017
I will leave this here:

"Cap space is a very valuable asset," Chayka said. "Our ability to use it and leverage it has gotten us players like Jakob Chychrun, Lawson Crouse, and obviously this deal is a big part of that. That was one element of it."

well the homers will surely have something to say about this post. I mean they might try explaining to you how the team needs toughness to protect the young players. lol

The Canucks' sh0uld of been on these type of trades from the start. When these clowns sat in there office room they surely should of discussed not wasting money on two grinders? This is not just this year, this is a freaking every year thing, what the hell was the point of Erikson, Gagner, etc ? why not just take a cap space contracts and gain some assets.

Benning and Linden are lucky boy are they lucky that Boeser is saving them. This team is honest tire fire that sadly continues to burn.

Reactions: MadaCanuckle

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
well the homers will surely have something to say about this post. I mean they might try explaining to you how the team needs toughness to protect the young players. lol

The Canucks' sh0uld of been on these type of trades from the start. When these clowns sat in there office room they surely should of discussed not wasting money on two grinders? This is not just this year, this is a freaking every year thing, what the hell was the point of Erikson, Gagner, etc ? why not just take a cap space contracts and gain some assets.

Benning and Linden are lucky boy are they lucky that Boeser is saving them. This team is honest tire fire that sadly continues to burn.

Are the players that AZ received going to move the needle for them? No.. I don't see much difference between a Leipsic and VH. JO on D, not much more different than what is currently on the roster, and another LHD.

But, the logic of keeping flexibility is important, something that the Canucks don't seem to consider.

The Canucks are trying to spend money to make money vs cutting costs to improve the bottom line.

They are taking $12 million in cap hit for the trio of Eriksson/Beagle/Roussel and paying out $15.2 million this year alone to them. Huh? Why???

At some point, they need to move out some of the guys that they brought in and say, hey, it didn't work, let's move on here. They can say, it's competition like the Seahawks, but we know that even if Gaudette and Goldobin put up 5 points each and Loui and Gagner go 0-fer in the preseason that G&G will be headed to the AHL not the 2 NHL vets.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Oh I think they can look around the locker room and find a few.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Are the players that AZ received going to move the needle for them? No.. I don't see much difference between a Leipsic and VH. JO on D, not much more different than what is currently on the roster, and another LHD.

But, the logic of keeping flexibility is important, something that the Canucks don't seem to consider.

The Canucks are trying to spend money to make money vs cutting costs to improve the bottom line.

They are taking $12 million in cap hit for the trio of Eriksson/Beagle/Roussel and paying out $15.2 million this year alone to them. Huh? Why???

At some point, they need to move out some of the guys that they brought in and say, hey, it didn't work, let's move on here. They can say, it's competition like the Seahawks, but we know that even if Gaudette and Goldobin put up 5 points each and Loui and Gagner go 0-fer in the preseason that G&G will be headed to the AHL not the 2 NHL vets.
Totally.

It's one thing to suck and it's another to paint yourself into a corner with no options...and suck.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Totally.

It's one thing to suck and it's another to paint yourself into a corner with no options...and suck.
The Canucks have plenty of cap room. The hossa move wasn’t great. They 100% should make a move to take on a bad contract but they need to hold out for something better than the Hossa deal

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Close the thread. Benning can’t and won’t do it.

Vrbata - nothing
Hamhuis - nothing
Vanek- basically nothing.
Take on Callaghan / Ryan to accommodate Karlsson trade? Nope.

If you really want to look at there are plenty to add to the list that the Canucks got nothing for.

Following the 2012 - 2013 season when it had become abundantly evident the team needed to rebuild they let all the following go for nothing. All of these players played subsequently for other NHL teams in the NHL, evidencing that they had at least some value. All of the following are players the Canucks got zero for and yet these guys went on to play for other NHL teams

Ryan Miller
Matt Barkowski
Brad Richardson
Ryan Stanton
Yannich Weber
Tom Sestito
Frank Corrado
Mike Santorelli
Linden Vey
Shaun Matthais
Zac Dalphe
Adam Cracknell
Nic Dowd (now contract with Washington)
David Booth

Lots of these players are fringe but the point here is that they had value enough to get signed elsewhere and play at least some. Did the team ever explore the possibilities of moving some of these for draft choices??? Would have been better than letting them move on for nothing.

Others were traded for virtually nothing

Zach Kassian
Jason Garrison
Dale Weise

Still others, like Chris Higgins, were left to linger around and become too awful to get anything for when a shrewder management team would have moved them when they had some value. Might make a case for Sedins here as well, although they were always worth a lot more than nothing. Overall, I think there is plenty of evidence that the Canucks have often not traded players earlier enough to get a better return and have thus pissed away potential value. .

Hard to imagine the Canucks could really weaponize cap space when they can't even get value for players they do have.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
What do you not like about the Hossa deal?
I just don’t think those players are assets the Canucks need. Upgrading from a 5th to a 3rd is not enough incentive. I’d rather take a bad contract for a 2nd round pick instead of another tweener

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What do you not like about the Hossa deal?
Nothing to hate, but I think it’s not a great return. NJ got a 2nd rounder from Fla for savards contract with a swap of minor leaguers.

So, it’s really a swap of draft picks for about 55 draft spots.

They sent over their 2017 3rd rounder to Chicago. He’s expected to be a checker and pk guy. Like Hansen prior to being placed with the twins. So they sent some futures over as well.

Like I said I think the canucks have enough VH and JO types on the roster.

I would have done our 4th at around pick 100 for their 2nd rounder in the mid 40’s for hossa’s Contract.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I’m pretty sure Hossa is only costing Arizona $200k after insurance so it’s not nearly as costly as other cap dump moves in the past.

Apparently the Sens were very interested because Melnyk is a cheap SOB and this would save them a few million by artificially hitting the cap floor. Chicago knew this and asked the Sens for assets in return rather than the other way around.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Just because those were the pieces Arizona took doesn't mean the Canucks would have to take the same deal. Hinostroza was just signed to a very reasonable deal and Oesterle is a depth guy, they weren't cap dumps.

I think something like Hossa & a 3rd for Gagner would have been something that worked for both sides.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just because those were the pieces Arizona took doesn't mean the Canucks would have to take the same deal. Hinostroza was just signed to a very reasonable deal and Oesterle is a depth guy, they weren't cap dumps.

I think something like Hossa & a 3rd for Gagner would have been something that worked for both sides.

I doubt Chicago would want gagner. Kruger has a similar cap hit but 1 year less term. But he plays a different role, more defensive style.

But Vancouver needs to move off some of bennings guys. Free up some room for the youngsters. Cause I really doubt they waive their vets.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
But Vancouver needs to move off some of bennings guys. Free up some room for the youngsters. Cause I really doubt they waive their vets.
He'd just replace those 'Benning guys" with other "Benning guys". Continually relies on the poorest part of this management crew (professional scouting). Actually if he was more like "stand pat' Nonis with respect to the non-drafting parts of the job - Benning would be doing pretty good (overall) IMHO right now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He'd just replace those 'Benning guys" with other "Benning guys". Continually relies on the poorest part of this management crew (professional scouting). Actually if he was more like "stand pat' Nonis with respect to the non-drafting parts of the job - Benning would be doing pretty good (overall) IMHO right now.
At least replace gagner and eriksson with the trio he just signed.

I just think gaunce, granny, sutter, 3 new guys, eriksson (lost hope that he will score for the Canucks) should be part of the 2 defensive lines.

We know who the top line will be.

Leave Pettersson, goldy, Jake, gaudette, leipsic, gagner to compete for the 2nd scoring line. Gagner needs to show as much as the kids to get a spot.

Otherwise they are just clogging up the roster spots.

Bonino is the only benning guy that has been moved with a full year or more left on his deal.

Reactions: Hit the post

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What does that have to do with the $12 million in cap space we still have? What if we didn’t sign Loui? Well I guess we would have $18MM in cap space.

What?

edit. Sry. Was just annoyed that you somehow seemed to forget what we are talking about.

How about we don't f***in waste money on Beagle and Roussel and instead take on a bad contract liket his while getting the bottom 6ers Arizona got in the deal and upgrade our draft pick in the process?

Our team is in better shape 3 years from now when we have the higher pick and are not strapped on to aging Roussel & Beagle for another year.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
What?

edit. Sry. Was just annoyed that you somehow seemed to forget what we are talking about.

How about we don't ****in waste money on Beagle and Roussel and instead take on a bad contract liket his while getting the bottom 6ers Arizona got in the deal and upgrade our draft pick in the process?

Our team is in better shape 3 years from now when we have the higher pick and are not strapped on to aging Roussel & Beagle for another year.
I never said they weren’t garbage signings. But the contracts aren’t going anywhere. We still have plenty of cap space to take on a Spezza or Callaghan (doubt he would waive for Van) but I personally didn’t like the Hossa return. Opportunities may come up during the season as well so I just don’t see the urgency

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->