Weaponizing cap space

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Lets spitball some ideas of how the Canucks could acquire additional future assets via taking on contracts that other teams are looking to unload.

Some players that I feel the Canucks should target as potential salary dumps:

Brooks Orpik, WSH, 5,5 mill, UFA in 2019-20

This move gives Washington the cap space to fix up their defense post John Carlson.
Expected return; 3rd - 5th round pick. Don't know if something would go back the other way?

I'll post more once I get around to scrolling through CapFriendly.com;

Show me yours!

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Jason Spezza. Fills the 2C hole for the Canucks and gives Dallas more wiggle room to re-sign Seguin.

upload_2018-6-11_20-39-4.png

I have a feeling we might be on that list :/

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I like Orpik for a 2nd/3rd- with his play in the playoffs it's more like a 3rd. He could be a good leader for us as well until the TDL where he gets moved with 50% retention to a playoff contender- I really think someone would take him on at 2.25M at the deadline for playoff experience, physicality and PK ability.

Spezza won't be moved, they have enough cap space already and hope he will bounce back when he's back with good players as the 2C with a new coach.

The others I'm looking at:
Steve Mason + Petan for Nilson (saves 1.6M for the Jets, we then flip Mason to NYI or Buffalo for a mid pick)
Tyler Ennis + 3rd for future considerations (allows them to comfortably resign Dumba and Zucker)
Paul Martin + 2019 2nd (rumored to be looking to make a splash for JT or another top 6 forward- this one not as likely as they still have cap and could just resign Thornton instead)

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I wish. Hardly Linden-style though.

Orpik is a good idea even if he wouldn’t exactly bring much.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Apart from the fact that we have reason to believe the Canucks don't understand how to leverage cap space...

DAkPjkQXUAAu1n9.jpg:large

...it seems to me that a guy like Orpik, coming fresh off of a Cup win and a recognizable name on some prominent recent teams, would be treated by Benning not as a cap dump, but as a player he'd have to give up assets to acquire.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Apart from the fact that we have reason to believe the Canucks don't understand how to leverage cap space...

DAkPjkQXUAAu1n9.jpg:large

...it seems to me that a guy like Orpik, coming fresh off of a Cup win and a recognizable name on some prominent recent teams, would be treated by Benning not as a cap dump, but as a player he'd have to give up assets to acquire.

Lets not go there in this thread?

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
I like Orpik for a 2nd/3rd- with his play in the playoffs it's more like a 3rd. He could be a good leader for us as well until the TDL where he gets moved with 50% retention to a playoff contender- I really think someone would take him on at 2.25M at the deadline for playoff experience, physicality and PK ability.

Spezza won't be moved, they have enough cap space already and hope he will bounce back when he's back with good players as the 2C with a new coach.

The others I'm looking at:
Steve Mason + Petan for Nilson (saves 1.6M for the Jets, we then flip Mason to NYI or Buffalo for a mid pick)
Tyler Ennis + 3rd for future considerations (allows them to comfortably resign Dumba and Zucker)
Paul Martin + 2019 2nd (rumored to be looking to make a splash for JT or another top 6 forward- this one not as likely as they still have cap and could just resign Thornton instead)
Why on Earth would Winnipeg do that? Plenty of other ways to get around that without giving away Petan for nothing. If NYI or Buffalo is interested in Mason they could just trade him there for that mid-round pick and then just sign a backup goalie for Hellebuyck for 1-2 mil and away they go.

Ennis is intriguing.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Why on Earth would Winnipeg do that? Plenty of other ways to get around that without giving away Petan for nothing. If NYI or Buffalo is interested in Mason they could just trade him there for that mid-round pick and then just sign a backup goalie for Hellebuyck for 1-2 mil and away they go.

Ennis is intriguing.
I was only thinking from a Canucks POV but you're right. Maybe if the Jets do trade Mason somewhere, jut Nilson for Petan straight up?

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Don't even suggest this kinda thing... if Jimbo gets this idea into his head he's going to "weaponize" that cap space for Brent Seabrook and a 7th!!! And then draft Mackenze Stewart 2.0.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
As long as they wait until after the first week of UFA, or know for certain that they aren't in on any big names, then sure take back a bad contract for a pick. There's no reason not to max out our cap. I don't want someone with Seabrook's term though. I'd rather it be someone on an expiring, or close to expiring deal.

Also, another thing to consider is that with the cap going up, a lot of teams would be able to do this and the return for taking on a bad contract might be lower than we've seen previously. This may not be the slam-dunk option some may think it is.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I think it was mentioned somewhere before, but it seems to me that Management has a different definition of weaponizing Cap Space. Whereas we want to take on crap contracts in exchange for picks/prospects, I can easily see their definition of weaponizing it as acquiring slightly overpaid players from cap-strapped teams to beef up the existing line up.

The Ryan O'Reilly rumors fit this MO. He's not worth $7.5 million, but he's a good top 6 player. Use our extra cap space to take advantage of the fact that Buffalo can't afford him and Eichel/Dahlin in the long run.

Basically acquire 6 million dollar players who are paid 7.5 million etc... and our cap cushion can make up for any 'overpayments' and they can boost the team immediately.

Hope i'm wrong

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Lets not go there in this thread?

After winning the Cup and with only 1 year left on his deal Orpik's probably not a target for 'cap weaponization' any more. The time for that would have been last off season when the Capitals were losing a bunch of guys to the cap.

GM's tend to value guys like Orpik much more than fans do, like how we were able to get a 2nd for Bieksa. If the Caps shopped Orpik I wouldn't be surprised if there was a GM or two willing to pay the same price for him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canes are desperate to dump Darling's contract after only one season in Carolina....maybe the Canucks could drive a harder bargain for Hanifin by agreeing to a Darling's cap hit.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Loui Eriksson in return for their 2nd and 4th round pick

Gudbranson is an option too but I would want a B level prospect like Gadjovich

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Wasn't it reported that he had all the Canadian teams on his no trade list at one point when Ottawa wanted to trade him?

I think so yeah. But usually if we assume players want: 1. Money 2. To Win, we are not an attractive target. Even for players that like to play in Canadian markets.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think so yeah. But usually if we assume players want: 1. Money 2. To Win, we are not an attractive target. Even for players that like to play in Canadian markets.

I would add family in there. Regardless, I think players make different calculations in terms of money. Spezza is in his last year of his contract. He can go to a contending team and risk playing a relatively limited role as he did last season or he can go to a team like the Canucks who are likely to afford him a large offensive role. The latter situation might be the better opportunity money wise.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Eriksson for Lucic straight up.....it would be 'weaponzing' cap space by ensuring an IED lands in the camps of both the Oilers and Canucks simultaneously!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->