Weaponizing cap space

Richard Brautigan

Jun 13, 2018
Jason Spezza. Fills the 2C hole for the Canucks and gives Dallas more wiggle room to re-sign Seguin.

How does trading a player whose contract expires in 2019 make it easier to resign a player whose contract also expires in 2019? The Spezza talk is coming exclusively from fans of other teams. The Stars don't need the cap space and there's no indication they've discussed trading him to create cap space.

Reactions: WhatWhat

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Orpik is not a cap dump, some teams would pay WSH a 4th to play on their bottom pair, for 1 year.

But other options:
Sobotka/Gunnarsson from STL
Martin/Karlsson/Boedker from SJS
MacDonald/Lehtera from PHI
Callahan/Coburn from TBL
Hunwick/Hagelin from PIT

I would stay away from Seabrook, Lucic, Ryan, etc.. unless the add is HUGE.

1 year of Bickell @ 4.5M cost Chicago Teuvo Teravainen. These guys are bad and have TERM.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
This is by far the worst year to try and weaponize cap space. it is expected to be 80-82m which is the biggest increase ever. But we are not the only team looking to use it for assets, this will lower the cost to take on expiring contracts. I could see Wash dumping Orpik with a 3rd and not a 2nd this year.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I can't see Spezza waiving for us. I like the idea though.

Brooks Orpik and Troy Brouwer are guys that come to mind.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Orpik is not a cap dump, some teams would pay WSH a 4th to play on their bottom pair, for 1 year.

But other options:
Sobotka/Gunnarsson from STL
Martin/Karlsson/Boedker from SJS
MacDonald/Lehtera from PHI
Callahan/Coburn from TBL
Hunwick/Hagelin from PIT

I would stay away from Seabrook, Lucic, Ryan, etc.. unless the add is HUGE.

1 year of Bickell @ 4.5M cost Chicago Teuvo Teravainen. These guys are bad and have TERM.
I don't see anyone offering a 4th for a 38 year old 3rd pairing defenceman at his full cap hit. 5.5M to have on the bottom pair is a tough sell, even with the strong playoffs he just had. Him at full retention I think could get a 3rd- but without any, he has negative value.
This is by far the worst year to try and weaponize cap space. it is expected to be 80-82m which is the biggest increase ever. But we are not the only team looking to use it for assets, this will lower the cost to take on expiring contracts. I could see Wash dumping Orpik with a 3rd and not a 2nd this year.
I'd still take a 3rd to take him on. Benning seems to still have decent success with 2nd/3rd round picks and Orpik could provide good leadership that we will be lacking without the Sedins in the locker room next year. Then at the TDL we retain 50% of his cap and get another 2019 draft pick for him.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Accepting bad contracts is fine as long as you do not clutter the roster. The slow guy you accept should be in the AHL, cap advantage or not. Is Green down with this?

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
If there were a trade for Orpik we should be the team that retains in a 3way deal deal.

Say

Vancouver: pick #31, certain amount of cap + later pick from 3rd team

Washington: #37

3rd team: Orpik

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
After winning the Cup and with only 1 year left on his deal Orpik's probably not a target for 'cap weaponization' any more. The time for that would have been last off season when the Capitals were losing a bunch of guys to the cap.

GM's tend to value guys like Orpik much more than fans do, like how we were able to get a 2nd for Bieksa. If the Caps shopped Orpik I wouldn't be surprised if there was a GM or two willing to pay the same price for him.

I win :naughty:

Sorry. Had to.

Reactions: PRNuck

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
For a change, let's not weaponize any cap space ... except $3-4m aav on Riley Nash (<--- I don't like the idea but I've come to accept the mindset that JB is going to splash $3-4m at least).

I say we keep the cap space & use it as carrots for our own guys when they come of age...

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Weaponizing cap space for a year or two when "our guys" dont need huge contract extensions is simply the best option in terms of asset management. 1 -2 years of dead cap is not a problem for this team. Problems arise when subpar players are signed long-term ala Eriksson. That's not weaponizing cap, that's poor management.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Cause Benning has demonstrated that that is one of his strengths..........sheesh.
He definitely hasn't but I mean he should have slowly learned his lesson right? 1 year not trading Hamhuis or Vrbata at all and then last year trading for AHL garbage. Slow progression.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Considering Dallas is in on Tavares, taking on Spezza’s contract could make a lot of sense.

I don't think they are actually in that much cap trouble even with a Tavares signing. They have about $20 mil in space left with 14 or 15 players signed. I mean they'd probably like to dump a bad contract or two but they aren't under the gun to do so. And who knows, maybe Spezza gets back to 50 point form.

Spezza also has a 10 team no-trade list. I have to assume at this stage in his career those 10 teams reflect very closely the bottom 10 teams in the league.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
At first, I wanted Nash AND Duclair... but after playing around with line combos.... I think we should definitely encourage a Nash signing...Come on over Riley Nash!!!

C: Horvat, Nash, Sutter, Gaunce/Granlund
LW: Sven*, Goldobin, Leipsic, Gaunce/Granlund
RW: Boeser, Petterson, Virtanen, Gaudette ?

My line combos if Riley Nash joins:

L1 = B line (Baertschi - Bo - Boeser)
L2 = Goldobin - Nash - Petterson
L3 = Leipsic - Sutter - Virtanen
L4 = Granlund - Gaunce - Gaudette (G line)

D1 = Edler - Gudbranson/Tanev
D2 = Hughes - Gudbranson/Tanev
D3 = MDZ / Juolevi / Hutton - Stecher

Markstrom / Nilsson / Demko

That's a serviceable lineup that could surprise .. but will definitely have UPs & DOWNs over the year.

Dahlen, Juolevi, Hughes, Petterson can all go down to Utica if they are not ready...

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
At first, I wanted Nash AND Duclair... but after playing around with line combos.... I think we should definitely encourage a Nash signing...Come on over Riley Nash!!!

C: Horvat, Nash, Sutter, Gaunce/Granlund
LW: Sven*, Goldobin, Leipsic, Gaunce/Granlund
RW: Boeser, Petterson, Virtanen, Gaudette ?

My line combos if Riley Nash joins:

That's a serviceable lineup that could surprise .. but will definitely have UPs & DOWNs over the year.

Dahlen, Juolevi, Hughes, Petterson can all go down to Utica if they are not ready...
A 6M/ year Eriksson isn't the 13th forward.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC

EDIT:
I guess Loui could slot in where Goldobin is... and Goldy shifts down the lines... or Loui slots into where Leipsic is and Leipsic goes to where Gaudette is... and Gaudette goes to Utica for some more seasoning.. doesn't hurt either way.. glad to finally have A to B++ prospects to send down for once.

OR

we trade Sven & slot Loui next to Bo & Boeser...

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
The Canucks should definitely be looking at relieving Chicago of that Hossa contract for a plus. This team can easily manipulate it's cap and 23 man opening roster these next 3 seasons.

For Spezza, I'd hope they just be a middleman. Take some cap for a plus in a three-way. Doesn't look like Dallas even needs the help at this point.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Canucks should definitely be looking at relieving Chicago of that Hossa contract for a plus. This team can easily manipulate it's cap and 23 man opening roster these next 3 seasons.

For Spezza, I'd hope they just be a middleman. Take some cap for a plus in a three-way. Doesn't look like Dallas even needs the help at this point.
Stars free up $5 mill and this year if they buy him out. And really, no chance he waives for Vancouver.
Really wish posters would go to capfriendly and review players ntc/nmc rights first.
Could it work as a 3 way deal like Pitt/Vegas/Ott? Sure.

I’d rather not do Hosea simply because the Canucks may actually need to reacquire lu’s rights since he now begins the part of his contract where his salary is less ham his cap hit. $3.4, then 1.6, the down to $1 mill. Could very well be his final nhl season as he’s been on the shelf the past 2 years on ltir with groin issues.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Aqualini is building a $70 million summer home in LA
He can afford the $3 million owed to Hossa.

Could th Canucks afford both Hosea and Lu on Ltir? I mean, the hawks can place Hosea on ltir, yet they want the flexibility to make other transactions.

Canucks sit with $8.8 million in potential recapture with Lu. Doubt it occurs, but Lu doesn’t hold a nmc, so he can be sent to the ahl. So, he needs to report to earn his money and if he doesn’t it gives fla the option to terminate his contract. After this year the difference between salary and cap hit in his final 3 years is about $12.4 million. Canucks own $8.8 of that leaving fla with about $3.6.

Who knows if Lu ends the season healthy or not. Doesn’t benefit fla cap wise to buy out Lu and I’m not sure how a buyout would impact th Canucks retention or not. And fla isn’t a team rolling in cash. Could they try to demote Lu to get out of the contracT? I mean, they fired galant in Carolina and he took a cab to the airport.

Kind of depends how it all plays out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad