We should not blow it up and stay the course

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think you see Mcdavid and RNH as the 1/2 punch next year, with Drai and RNH switching on and off the RW side, and a big gritty 3rd line center like backes in the number 3 spot.

In a perfect world, you sign Lucic and Eriksson, Backes and run with

Lucic RNH Drai
Maroon Mcdavid Eriksson
Hall Backes Kassian

as a top 9 to start, until you find some combos that work.

I think injecting guys like eriksson lucic and Backes add a veteran support with some skill and leadership that this group has never seen before. Obviously all of those things happening are slim to none, but that's the kind of shakeup we need. We need to trade some of our young skill out, and bring in higher profile vets who can win and teach these guys how hockey is actually played.

Id love to see a Mcdavid-RNH-Backes center configuration but don't think Backes signs here. My ideal guy for that 3rd line would be Jordan Staal who I think is available out of Carolina, but would need to waive his NTC.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Blowing it up and starting the rebuild again around mcdavid is 100% the wrong thing to do. Just as much as keeping the same roster going forward is.

They need to make changes to the make up of the team. The defence, which was better this year, needs an upgrade. Just having Klefbom in the lineup is a big help. They need to add another big piece on the back end though. That probably means you need to give up a piece from the core of forwards.

This team needs to be strategically retooled, not blown up.

Also keep in mind that at no point this season have we seen this team in its entirety. It has always been missing a key players every game of the season. for every game this season the Oilers have been without one of Mcdavid, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Klefbom, or Draisitl.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Blowing it up and starting the rebuild again around mcdavid is 100% the wrong thing to do. Just as much as keeping the same roster going forward is.

They need to make changes to the make up of the team. The defence, which was better this year, needs an upgrade. Just having Klefbom in the lineup is a big help. They need to add another big piece on the back end though. That probably means you need to give up a piece from the core of forwards.

This team needs to be strategically retooled, not blown up.

Also keep in mind that at no point this season have we seen this team in its entirety. It has always been missing a key players every game of the season. for every game this season the Oilers have been without one of Mcdavid, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Klefbom, or Draisitl.

If one player makes or breaks your season then you not a very good team. Klefbom being out is a crutch people are leaning on, but it does nothing to address why this team continually has a poor compete level. When this team competes they are a very good team and on par with some of the best in the league. Maybe its maturity, maybe its that they weren't taught how to act, I dunno. But its painfully obvious to me at least that this core group doesn't get it after several years. We don't have to move them all but a few of the key guys should be gone.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
If one player makes or breaks your season then you not a very good team. Klefbom being out is a crutch people are leaning on, but it does nothing to address why this team continually has a poor compete level. When this team competes they are a very good team and on par with some of the best in the league. Maybe its maturity, maybe its that they weren't taught how to act, I dunno. But its painfully obvious to me at least that this core group doesn't get it after several years. We don't have to move them all but a few of the key guys should be gone.

yeah. I agree.

it seems like too many nights where they give up for extended periods and too many players are doing it.

that doesn't seem like a good recipe no matter how good the defense is.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It's funny that a ten that for so many years had to get by with no high end talent and simply rely on a hard working blue collar group. Now we've shifted to the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

I'd like to see them find that veteran blue collar culture again. Run the offense and playmaking through our two playmaking C's in Drai/McD and fill the wings with hard working two way guys and add a guy in the top 6 with a rocket of a shot. Clear out Eberle, Hall, Yak and if they can sign a guy like Backes I'd say move RNH as well. But I don't want to see them go into next season without a C that can play in the top 6 that has more then 300 NHL games.

I would like to see Chia clear out Eberle, Hall, Yak and possibly RNH and bring in some quality top 4 defensema and then go to guys like Eriksson, Backes, Lucic, Ladd, Brouwer and say look we've cleared out the crap, upgraded the defense, we've got cap space were willing to spend, we've still got high end young guys in McDavid, Draisaitl, whoever we draft this year and our plan is to bring in a group of veterans to surround them.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For me this is what we build around

McDavid
Leon D
Nuge
Nurse
Klefbom
Sekera

that is the core due to either contracts or potential.

From there you build a solid team.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
It's funny that a ten that for so many years had to get by with no high end talent and simply rely on a hard working blue collar group. Now we've shifted to the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

I'd like to see them find that veteran blue collar culture again. Run the offense and playmaking through our two playmaking C's in Drai/McD and fill the wings with hard working two way guys and add a guy in the top 6 with a rocket of a shot. Clear out Eberle, Hall, Yak and if they can sign a guy like Backes I'd say move RNH as well. But I don't want to see them go into next season without a C that can play in the top 6 that has more then 300 NHL games.

I would like to see Chia clear out Eberle, Hall, Yak and possibly RNH and bring in some quality top 4 defensema and then go to guys like Eriksson, Backes, Lucic, Ladd, Brouwer and say look we've cleared out the crap, upgraded the defense, we've got cap space were willing to spend, we've still got high end young guys in McDavid, Draisaitl, whoever we draft this year and our plan is to bring in a group of veterans to surround them.

100% this.

If the right trades are made that fixes the D and clears room for these more well rounded free agents... put this team in a new rink and give them a new beginning.

I will be fine missing the playoffs next year if it means we are at least in it down the stretch.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
We got McDavid on the cheap for a couple more years before he gets very expensive (and deservedly so) and takes up a good chunk of our cap. Surround him with a bunch of hard working grown men now who play the right way.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
We got McDavid on the cheap for a couple more years before he gets very expensive (and deservedly so) and takes up a good chunk of our cap. Surround him with a bunch of hard working grown men now who play the right way.

That sounds like a great blueprint to follow if your biggest ambition is simply making the playoffs.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That sounds like a great blueprint to follow if your biggest ambition is simply making the playoffs.

After a decade of being in the basement making the playoffs would be a dream. Making the playoffs is always the goal anything can happen once you're in the dance, no?

And it's laughable if you think the old "core" gets us there let alone the SCF. You have seen playoff hockey right?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
For me this is what we build around

McDavid
Leon D
Nuge
Nurse
Klefbom
Sekera

that is the core due to either contracts or potential.

From there you build a solid team.

I'd be fine keeping Nuge. Wouldn't hurt to have extra Centers. I would add davidson to that mix too though.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
Bob Mackenzie singles out RNH is a big sign to me. He's good as gone in my mind. To small and injury prone. Team will be built around Mcdavid, Draisiatl and Hall for Forwards and Klefbom and Nurse for D.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Id love to see a Mcdavid-RNH-Backes center configuration but don't think Backes signs here. My ideal guy for that 3rd line would be Jordan Staal who I think is available out of Carolina, but would need to waive his NTC.

We have a huge opportunity to get Backes imo. The cap will tumble so there will be not so many suitors for him. He will want to get paid a lot and will ask for what Stastny got (7 million).

I think we will do just fine with luring free agents. Despite our woes, we are a team that will rise in time. That's why Sekera chose us at a reasonable amount.

A situation like with Backes shows why Chiarelli has to come prepared for the draft. If he can pull of a big trade, free agents like Backes will be impressed.

We're allowed to talk to FAs a week before July 1st. I would be asking Backes if he would be willing to sign a short term deal at an overpayment. In the interest of impending expansion draft, if we could convince him to only 1 year that would be great (although my main motive to a short term deal is because of the McDavid extension)

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Bob Mackenzie singles out RNH is a big sign to me. He's good as gone in my mind. To small and injury prone. Team will be built around Mcdavid, Draisiatl and Hall for Forwards and Klefbom and Nurse for D.

Yeah, if Chia's vision is what we think it is... we are going to get tougher and that means Ebs, Yak, Nuge are probably going bye-bye.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Most of the stars on the team are only used to playing 40 games a year that matter, then just ****ing around for the other 40 games once they're out of the playoffs. The culture definitely needs to be changed, and I'm predicting 2-3 big moves this offseason.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This argument still exists?
I don't really think this argument still exists. Most here have seen enough to know it isn't working. Let's also not forget that OP is the same guy who was gushing over Mactavish being hired as GM and was his biggest defender despite mounting evidence of how terrible he was. History might suggest this poster enjoys getting a rise out of fellow Oiler fans.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
We have a huge opportunity to get Backes imo. The cap will tumble so there will be not so many suitors for him. He will want to get paid a lot and will ask for what Stastny got (7 million).

I think we will do just fine with luring free agents. Despite our woes, we are a team that will rise in time. That's why Sekera chose us at a reasonable amount.

A situation like with Backes shows why Chiarelli has to come prepared for the draft. If he can pull of a big trade, free agents like Backes will be impressed.

We're allowed to talk to FAs a week before July 1st. I would be asking Backes if he would be willing to sign a short term deal at an overpayment. In the interest of impending expansion draft, if we could convince him to only 1 year that would be great (although my main motive to a short term deal is because of the McDavid extension)

I'd rather spend that 7M on Goligoski. If we move RNH for Hamonic I'd be open to signing Backes though. The money savings from moving RNH would allow us to go after him. In saying that I believe that Chia will bring in J. Staal this summer based on rumors I seen earlier this year, and the fact he's a Chia type player.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Remenda was on Saskatchewan sports radio today talking about the Oilers.

He thinks that it's time to build around McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse. He thinks the team needs to deal Hall (because he'll get a monster return), RNH (because he doesn't think his body will ever allow him to play an 82 game season) and Yakupov because, well, Yakupov. He's had one foot out the door all season.

He said he'd keep Eberle based on the fact he's a 30 goal scorer and has chemistry with McDavid.

Also said that this team can't stick to playing a system because it's hard. It's hard to win and easy to lose. Once they see how hard winning is, they quit and go back to old habits. That's a tough thing to get out of a team culture once it has set it. As it has here over the many years.

Said that this team needs to think about how the 80s Oilers looked at the ice bags on the joints of the 80s Islanders to figure out what it means to want to win.

I think Remenda is dead on. I know his board hates his guts because he doesn't coddle this team enough, but he's 100% correct; this team doesn't care to find out what it means to win because losing is so much easier.

And to make it clear, he never said that any of these guys are bad players... Just players who need to be moved out to bring a new culture in.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
How'd Boston do with the Seguin trade? How'd Columbus make out after trading Rick Nash? ****, how did we do after trading Pronger?

You're comprehension of what I said has you on the far end of the spectrum regarding trades that don't carry fair value. I'm not looking to send the core off without getting impact players back. Ryder + Halak + 2nd aint gonna cut it.

I find your examples interesting though.

The Seguin and Pronger trades hurt their teams dearly because they had to be moved due to personal reasons, greatly reducing their value. That's not the case here. Value my be reduced due to suckage, but not nearly as bad.

Kinda funny you bring up the Nash trade. The Jackets had ONE season out of NINE where they had more wins than losses with Nash as their centre piece. After trading Nash, they have been a much better group overall. They went on to have 3 consecutive seasons of having more wins than losses up until this year where many had them contending for the playoffs if not more prior to the season. Jackets won that trade.

You can add players that bring that stuff easily without trading away skill. That's what contending teams do.

News flash, we're not a contending team. Not even close.

Most teams are defined by their top 6, a stud defensemen or two, and a decent goalie. As long as the Oilers top 6 is occupied by the guys this thread is referring to, then the dynamics of the team don't really change at all. Did Patrick Maroon and Zach Kassian add an element we've been sorely lacking? Sure. But has the core continued to be disastrous with those new elements added? Absolutely.

The nucleus of teams are what brings them to the playoffs every year, not the players you suggest are so easily added.

In other words you want the Oilers of the late 90s/early 2000s. A scrappy 8th place team in a good year.

Classic internet discussion. You read the words I wrote, your brain cramps up, you come up with a different interpretation, then regurgitate that interpretation to tell me what I'm actually saying.

You're assuming you know what I want as a team but have no clue. I'm talking about trading 2-4 of Yak, Nuge, Ebs, and Hall with useful pieces coming back. I'm not looking to blow up the entire team, I'm looking to blow up the old core, create a new one, and win some ****ing games.

But since you brought up the gritty hard-working teams of the 90s + early 2000s, did those teams not bring you more enjoyment compared to the last decade of the laughable rosters the Oilers have iced? That's assuming you're old enough to appreciated those teams. There used to be a term often used called "the Oilers brand of hockey" which was hard-nosed and in your face. Now that brand has evaporated over time and is now known as the biggest joke the NHL has ever seen. Ever. Let that sink in.

If you asked me to choose between a perpetual bubble team and a perpetual bottom feeder, I'd be in awe if you didn't know my answer to that question.

Depends on the fantasy return on the trades.

And who's fantasy returns would that be?

But no one is saying stand pat. :help:

If you've been paying attention to the thread, the discussion is for management to nuke the core vs subtle changes. The change I refer to is nuking the core :help:

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Remenda was on Saskatchewan sports radio today talking about the Oilers.

He thinks that it's time to build around McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse. He thinks the team needs to deal Hall (because he'll get a monster return), RNH (because he doesn't think his body will ever allow him to play an 82 game season) and Yakupov because, well, Yakupov. He's had one foot out the door all season.

He said he'd keep Eberle based on the fact he's a 30 goal scorer and has chemistry with McDavid.

Also said that this team can't stick to playing a system because it's hard. It's hard to win and easy to lose. Once they see how hard winning is, they quit and go back to old habits. That's a tough thing to get out of a team culture once it has set it. As it has here over the many years.

Said that this team needs to think about how the 80s Oilers looked at the ice bags on the joints of the 80s Islanders to figure out what it means to want to win.

I think Remenda is dead on. I know his board hates his guts because he doesn't coddle this team enough, but he's 100% correct; this team doesn't care to find out what it means to win because losing is so much easier.

And to make it clear, he never said that any of these guys are bad players... Just players who need to be moved out to bring a new culture in.
I think he's correct in his assessment too. His part about certain players thinking it's hard to win, easy to lose and then falling into the same old bad habits is what I'm seeing too. This is the biggest reason changes need to be made with some of the guys who have been here the longest. This doesn't mean these players are garbage it's just that they've been broken here. The reasons why they've been broken don't even matter anymore. The longer they're here the more likely they are to pass on that defeated attitude to the younger guys. We saw the same thing happen with Horcoff and Hemsky. I'm ready to try something new.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad