We should not blow it up and stay the course

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
basically the team hit the crapper when RNH was out and Klefbom continued to be out. Those two were huge losses and it took the team a long time to figure out a way to over come that, especially when a guy like Davidson was had been a nice surprise on the year got hurt as well. Too many injuries and too many rookies on D really did hurt the team this year and it's just being negative to deny that.

But we were NEVER in a playoff position this year, even when Nuge & McD & Klef were all healthy. Even then we were tweeners on the outside looking in.

As I said, even using the OP's metric of goal differential, we're still 80 goals away from contending and with the exception of two new RD, *most of the changes we could make have been made.

At some point you come back to the top of the lineup and ask yourself... what's better here: another Jason Spezza or a Jiri Lehtenan? Do we need a Craig Janney playing this role, or should we rather have Craig McTavish?

All of our big-Four have been given several years to audition for their roles. If the high-end offensive talent roles in the top-6 are spoken for, then some of these guys are gonna have to go. Especially given top RD are going to be hard to come by.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
We need to move out most of the core, but not for picks, and prospects. Legit NHL'ers only.

Easy to do on paper, hard to do in reality. You will get 70 cents on the dollar.

There is no reason to move them just cause people are sick of losing. There is nothing inherently wrong with the players other then they just aren't as good as we hoped.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I guess waiting 6 years wasn't long enough! Lets wait longer!!

How can fans still be so delusional? Mind boggling.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I would actually trade our pick this year for experience. Wouldnt even think twice about it.

I am on board with this. Funny so many of the guys fed up with losing and the current core want to keep the pick. If your tired of losing that pick has to be shopped, no questions asked. I would love to see that pick gone for Hamonic or something like that.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think 80% of the improvement this year is because we finally found a goalie that can handle the crap show that our team is and could play decent for extended periods of time while being left completely out to dry. It's hard to find goalies that can keep their head straight on a team like ours and Chia managed to find one. It's not a bad first step, but there is still so much left to fix with this group. The fastest way to create a not horrible team will be to trade from our position of relative strength (forwards) to fix the the area that is basically a black hole (D).

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think 80% of the improvement this year is because we finally found a goalie that can handle the crap show that our team is and could still play decent for extended periods of time while being left completely out to dry.

It's not a bad first step, but there is still so much left to fix with this group. The fastest way to create a not horrible team will be to trade from our position of relative strength (forwards) to fix the the area that is basically a black hole (D).

I agree Talbot helped, but, he was not the whole difference. First he struggled to start the year, over all he has been good, but not outstanding.

There has been improvement in other areas for sure.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I am on board with this. Funny so many of the guys fed up with losing and the current core want to keep the pick. If your tired of losing that pick has to be shopped, no questions asked. I would love to see that pick gone for Hamonic or something like that.

I would aim alot higher than Hamonic for our pick.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
A scalpel bomb?

That might do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCALPEL

getasset.aspx

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
7 more points in the standings means nothing. All of these little stats mean nothing to me when we are still in the league basement.

I see a group of guys who just dont care. I want change

And the next 7 points improvement is more difficult of course than the first 7. McDavid alone could have been that difference we see. As you have to get them against better teams, steal more games, win more games without the excuses, etc. for each additional point. This core will not get that done. Guaranteed. They don't have the mentality to win those squeakers, come back from 2 goal deficits in the first or second period to win and so on.

Something big needs to change - small won't cut it anymore - they've made that abundantly clear this year.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Thanks for this post, this is the post that I want to aim at. First of all I get the sentiment, but here is the thing. How do you see a group that doesn't care? How do you know big changes will result in anything better? We trade Hall, Nuge, Ebs ect we will get 70 cents on the dollar for every trade. We get worse and not better.

As much as the standings suck, there has been big improvement this year. 40 goal differential improvement is very substantial, i don't care what any one says.

How exactly is this measurable though? A deal that looks poor on paper doesn't always result in a team becoming worse. If a trade that seems low in value comes along yet brings back balance, heart, determination, character, leadership, toughness, etc (characteristics our core seems to fail at)....I'd be all for it.

Using your analogy, I'd rather have a bunch of quarters that gell together, fight for one another, and get results, compared to a few dollars that can't get it done.

We have arguably some of the deepest trading chips in the league. Especially considering our 2016 1st. If we lose a few trades (probably because this core is perceived as losers), it's not the end of the world.

Change is needed, the definition of insanity states so.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Step 1: Get rid of KLowe, MacT and SH. They are the poison in the room. They are responsible for the worst losing record in the history of pro-hockey (not a hyperbole either).
Step 2: Rebuild the amateur/pro scouting staff with the best possible scouts you can find.
Step 3: Tinker with the team over the next 12 months, add D where possible, add more size where possible.
Step 4: If the team is in the tank again 12 months after completing 1 thru 3; blow it up .... as this core has no idea how to win.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Some may call it 70 cents on the dollar. Others will call it market value of our flawed players.

Dan403

Apr 2, 2014
OP is right.

This is the path to a Dynasty.

Don't need any Chicken Little's.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I agree

we shouldn't blow it up for the sake of it...ONLY if we get legit players

no more pick or prospects

I say Yak it already gone...and 1 of Hall, RNH, or Eberle is gone in the offseason for grit, leadership and 2-way ability (hopefully a D-man)

team team needs A TON of work...but blowing it up will only create more problems than solve them

-get 2 good defensemen (Hamonic, Vatannen, Demers, Barrie, Campbell)
-get another Maroon (Lucic, Ladd or cheaper winger)
-get better depth in the bottom 6
-get a backup goalie
-get LEADERS

no easy task but IF we get the d-men we need AND get a little healthier line-up...we will see big improvement

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Disagree. Blow it up and build around 97, sick of the loser culture and mentality.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
I'm ready to move on from some of our 'talent'. I think we see 2-3 of our previously anointed 'core' jettisoned out, and I'm fine that. Lowe/MacT gave their careers the kiss of death by handing them the world. The NHL is a tough league - you can't get comfortable and expect success to just come.

I don't even blame the players for this. It was a deeply ingrained cultural problem with the team. I think it's going to be very difficult for a handful of players to recover from it - bad habits die hard. I wish them well wherever they land, but it's time to look for established NHL players with heart. Toe drags and dangles don't get it done if you're not capable of getting your hands dirty at the same time.

If Hall is moved I think we lose the trade but still get a really good player in return but do I hope he can find a way to turn it around as an Oiler. As for the rest, bu-buy - go find us some players Chia.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'll say again, this team could do a very quick retool/rebuild. ESPECIALLY if we win Matthews. Imagine we trade away Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak, Pouliot and we somehow get rid of Fayne (maybe in one of those deals?)

Imagine we get back Hamonic and Vatanen, the rest is all picks and prospects.

McDavid
Matthews/Laine
Draisaitl
Maroon

Kelfbom
Hamonic
Sekera
Vatanen
Davidson
Nurse

Talbot

That right there is a heck of a group to build around. Our D is deep with several elements, and our prospect cupboard looks much better.

But then the best part. We could easily afford to add 2 of Lucic/Eriksson/Ladd/Okposo. Then you're not missing he offense we shipped away so much. Suddenly this is looking like the best/most balanced team we have had in a decade. And we would have guys coming in cheap in the coming years to challenge for spots if we ever had to make difficult cap choices.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Im just curious as to what big changes people are thinking?

Our old core is Nuge Klefbom Hall Eberle. I wont include Yak cause hes gone for sure.

So we are we thinking of moving one of those? 2? 3?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I wouldn't say blow it up but....

McD, Drai, RNH or Hall, Quality Dman, Quality DMan, Klef, Talbot

have a much better chance of contending for a cup than:

McD, Drai, RNH, Hall, Ebs, Laine, Klef, Nurse, Talbot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad