We should not blow it up and stay the course

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I dont want to start a new thread on the subject already but I would be curious to see a poll and fan opinions. Blow It Up vs Stay On Course with just Yak and 1 of the old core moved out.

Why not an intermediate option? Trade however many core players it takes to fill the needs of the team (e.g., RHD defensemen). Chiarelli needs to assess the options available and the price it will take to acquire the assets he needs and should not be set on keeping a certain number of players leaving town (one or all).

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
People who say they're done are always all talk.

It's like smoking. You know it's bad for you, but HFboards is the walk outside to hate yourself with other smokers.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I dont think they do a the full blow apart this summer.

I'm hoping they can move two big pieces (one at the draft? one in the off season?). Maybe move a 3rd piece next year before expansion.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

It's like smoking. You know it's bad for you, but HFboards is the walk outside to hate yourself with other smokers.

LOL, this and so true. people want some kind of acknowledgement of their anguish. Well good luck, not going to happen. Chia is going to do the smart thing. That smart this is to to add a couple pieces and hope for less injuries next year. That is not what people want, but guess what, they will be back next year and every one knows it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I called out a bunch of people during the lockout saying if you really hate the NHL just leave instead of coming on here. Coppernblue was the only regular that really left.

There are still a lot of people that seem so negative that are here posting after a Saturday night hockey game, so I'm not sure who they are trying to really kid.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
LOL, this and so true. people want some kind of acknowledgement of their anguish. Well good luck, not going to happen. Chia is going to do the smart thing. That smart this is to to add a couple pieces and hope for less injuries next year. That is not what people want, but guess what, they will be back next year and every one knows it.

You can expect another lack lustre season if at least 2 of RNH, Eberle, and Hall aren't traded. We need to get rid of the clickiness and loser mentality in that dressing room. The fact they never show up on saturday nights on national television is all I need to know about this group. They're not professionals and have never learned to be.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yak is already all but gone.

I believe at least one of Hall, Ebs, or RNH will be gone as well to bring in a upgrade on defense or to just make the team less one dimensional.

I fully support those kind of moves because it is painfully obvious to me, and has been for a long time, skill without size/grit/two way play is practically useless in the western conference.

While the team should obviously improve again this year I just don't see it improving enough without some more changes.

Blow it up may be too harsh but stay the course is by definition, insanity.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
How exactly is this measurable though? A deal that looks poor on paper doesn't always result in a team becoming worse.

How'd Boston do with the Seguin trade? How'd Columbus make out after trading Rick Nash? ****, how did we do after trading Pronger?

If a trade that seems low in value comes along yet brings back balance, heart, determination, character, leadership, toughness, etc (characteristics our core seems to fail at)....I'd be all for it.

You can add players that bring that stuff easily without trading away skill. That's what contending teams do.

Using your analogy, I'd rather have a bunch of quarters that gell together, fight for one another, and get results, compared to a few dollars that can't get it done.

In other words you want the Oilers of the late 90s/early 2000s. A scrappy 8th place team in a good year.

We have arguably some of the deepest trading chips in the league. Especially considering our 2016 1st. If we lose a few trades (probably because this core is perceived as losers), it's not the end of the world.

Depends on the fantasy return on the trades.

Change is needed, the definition of insanity states so.

But no one is saying stand pat. :help:

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
You can expect another lack lustre season if at least 2 of RNH, Eberle, and Hall aren't traded. We need to get rid of the clickiness and loser mentality in that dressing room. The fact they never show up on saturday nights on national television is all I need to know about this group. They're not professionals and have never learned to be.

The biggest issue I have with people who want to blow it up is they don't even know if this is a problem. Every one just assumes this, no one knows that. As far as I can see Nuge, Ebs, and Hall have no attitude problems what so ever.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I dont think management has to blow it up but they do have to make some moves and be smart about it.

I have had conversations with co-workers and friends regarding the oilers and what they need to do and who they need to get rid of etc, but at the end of the day I dont really know the full extent of the problem.

Despite the injuries this year and the refs jobbing us, this team should be better. Everyone knows it.

I dont know who the problems are in the room.

I think from a simple point of view though, the Oilers need at least 2 legit defenseman. Chiarelli will likely have to trade away a "core" member of this team to acquire that.

I dont know how to fix the problem but I sure hope that Chiarelli does. Thats his job. If the oilers arent competitive in the next 2 years where playoffs are a possibility, I think they will continue to run into problems with their current young players and future players.

The oilers need to win more consistently next year and they need to be competitive.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
This team HAS to be competitive next year. Another year with minor improvement is not going to cut it. I don't even understand how some people can be content with better goal differential and a few more points. Like woo, freaking, ho. The moment we landed McDavid the clock started ticking. As CupOfOil said, status quo is NOT an option.

Now, I'm not saying we have to blow the whole thing up, but there has to be some major changes. I'd prefer if two of RNH/Eberle/Hall was gone, but at the very least one of them should be moved. I actually think we have some good depth throughout the lineup now and a couple of good pieces in place. Talbot, Sekera and Maroon are all guys that help this team and the emergence of Davidson is helping too.

Klefbom/Sekera/Nurse/Davidson are 4 good d-men to build around but we need one top pairing guy and one middle pairing guy (preferably another top pairing but lets be realistic, thats not happening) to have a solid blueline. Up front we already have our two centres in McDavid and Drai. Insulating them with the right wingers should be the easy part. If you keep Hall, Pouliot and Maroon your left side is set. On the right side you could sign one of Eriksson/Okposo/Backes and Brouwer and you'd be set there too. Talbot seems to have emerged as our starting goaltender so that's already taken care of as well.

Hall-Draisaitl-Okposo
Pouliot-McDavid-Brouwer
Maroon-XXX-Korpi
Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarinen

Klefbom-YYY
Sekera-ZZZ
Davidson-Nurse

Talbot
Brossoit/Cheap backup

That's a pretty decent team if you can fill in the blanks with a legit #3C and find two top4 d-men. But between RNH, Eberle and our 2016 1st round pick you really should be able to add some quality pieces. For instance, with those pieces you should be able to add Hamonic and Trouba/Vatanen (or sign Demers in FA) to fill those two spots on the blueline. Suddenly you're a much better team.

Something along those lines is what I hope will (and think is necessary to) happen. Another year of just shuffling deck chairs won't cut it.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The biggest issue I have with people who want to blow it up is they don't even know if this is a problem. Every one just assumes this, no one knows that. As far as I can see Nuge, Ebs, and Hall have no attitude problems what so ever.

Do you think its a coincidence they never show up for games on a weekend? Boston and Dallas both suspended Seguin for his actions that hurt the team. Here the core players are above the law. They're immune to any sort of punishment or correction, and thats why were a ****** team year after year. The core players aren't professional and could give a **** whether they win or lose. Im sick of it, fans pay hundreds of dollars to go to these games, and the arrogant bunch of "core" players can't even be prepared to play the game. Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if they all were traded.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I called out a bunch of people during the lockout saying if you really hate the NHL just leave instead of coming on here. Coppernblue was the only regular that really left.

There are still a lot of people that seem so negative that are here posting after a Saturday night hockey game, so I'm not sure who they are trying to really kid.

People love hockey, and love the Oilers. That high level of passion also brings with it a high level of shame, and anger, when the team is as pathetic as they are.

What I don't get is why people care so bloody much, nor why people feel the need to act superior towards those that get fed up.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This team HAS to be competitive next year. Another year with minor improvement is not going to cut it. I don't even understand how some people can be content with better goal differential and a few more points. Like woo, freaking, ho. The moment we landed McDavid the clock started ticking. As CupOfOil said, status quo is NOT an option.

Now, I'm not saying we have to blow the whole thing up, but there has to be some major changes. I'd prefer if two of RNH/Eberle/Hall was gone, but at the very least one of them should be moved. I actually think we have some good depth throughout the lineup now and a couple of good pieces in place. Talbot, Sekera and Maroon are all guys that help this team and the emergence of Davidson is helping too.

Klefbom/Sekera/Nurse/Davidson are 4 good d-men to build around but we need one top pairing guy and one middle pairing guy (preferably another top pairing but lets be realistic, thats not happening) to have a solid blueline. Up front we already have our two centres in McDavid and Drai. Insulating them with the right wingers should be the easy part. If you keep Hall, Pouliot and Maroon your left side is set. On the right side you could sign one of Eriksson/Okposo/Backes and Brouwer and you'd be set there too. Talbot seems to have emerged as our starting goaltender so that's already taken care of as well.

Hall-Draisaitl-Okposo
Pouliot-McDavid-Brouwer
Maroon-XXX-Korpi
Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarinen

Klefbom-YYY
Sekera-ZZZ
Davidson-Nurse

Talbot
Brossoit/Cheap backup

That's a pretty decent team if you can fill in the blanks with a legit #3C and find two top4 d-men. But between RNH, Eberle and our 2016 1st round pick you really should be able to add some quality pieces. For instance, with those pieces you should be able to add Hamonic and Trouba/Vatanen (or sign Demers in FA) to fill those two spots on the blueline. Suddenly you're a much better team.

Something along those lines is what I hope will (and think is necessary to) happen. Another year of just shuffling deck chairs won't cut it.

Going into next year with Draisaitl and Mcdavid as the top two centres is a recipe for disaster. IMO Draisaitl whole be on the block. Need better high quality vets.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Going into next year with Draisaitl and Mcdavid as the top two centres is a recipe for disaster. IMO Draisaitl whole be on the block. Need better high quality vets.

I don't think it is, given that you have a very good #3C that can step in in case of injuries/slumps in addition to insulating them with strong, experienced wingers. Drai is entering his 3rd year in the league and I'm sure he learned a lot from the past year going up against the Kopitars and Toews' of the NHL. McDavid is McDavid, he is going to succeed no matter what.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I don't think it is, given that you have a very good #3C that can step in in case of injuries/slumps in addition to insulating them with strong, experienced wingers. Drai is entering his 3rd year in the league and I'm sure he learned a lot from the past year going up against the Kopitars and Toews' of the NHL. McDavid is McDavid, he is going to succeed no matter what.

I'm alright with Mcdavid there, but ideally we'd have two good vets behind him. Draisaitl has really slowed down since the all star break. I know he'll be a good player someday, but can we afford another season or two of losing?

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'm alright with Mcdavid there, but ideally we'd have two good vets behind him. Draisaitl has really slowed down since the all star break. I know he'll be a good player someday, but can we afford another season or two of losing?

I think you see Mcdavid and RNH as the 1/2 punch next year, with Drai and RNH switching on and off the RW side, and a big gritty 3rd line center like backes in the number 3 spot.

In a perfect world, you sign Lucic and Eriksson, Backes and run with

Lucic RNH Drai
Maroon Mcdavid Eriksson
Hall Backes Kassian

as a top 9 to start, until you find some combos that work.

I think injecting guys like eriksson lucic and Backes add a veteran support with some skill and leadership that this group has never seen before. Obviously all of those things happening are slim to none, but that's the kind of shakeup we need. We need to trade some of our young skill out, and bring in higher profile vets who can win and teach these guys how hockey is actually played.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

He has slowed down no doubt but it's his first full season in the NHL and honestly I think Hall going through a major slump has been a big reason why Draisaitl produced less in the last few months. He has still been dangerous and created opportunities in most games.

I mean, you can look at other centres around the league. Look at Kopitars 2nd season in the NHL or Toews 2nd season in the NHL. Which centre did they have to shelter them? As far as I can see, they didn't have anyone and still put up really impressive seasons as 20 year olds. Nicklas Bäckström is another example. Granted, I'm a big fan of Draisaitl but I really think he is close to where they were at the same age and is good enough (and most importantly, strong enough mentally) to have that same kind of impact. I'm not worried about him, especially not if you give him two good wingers to work with.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Tick tick boom!!

It's delusional at this point to think we don't need to blow this ***** into orbit

Originally Posted By*

The foundation of this team is ****ing broken.

It's like you have a house that is sitting on a ****** foundation, and you are recommending to change the tables and chairs, to make the house look a little more pretty and hospitable but the problem is the CORE is ****ing rotten.

If i don't see big changed, and I mean big, I'll know the state of the team for the next 5 years.

Enough is ****ing enough, these core pieces are losers and adding a defenceman wont change that.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I just wanted to chime in with my two cents.

It wasn't long ago, after a home ice loss (I want to say the AZ game?) where Maroon subtly called out some team mates by saying something to the effect of "The system works and there are some guys who are trying to do something different". Again, this was not his exact quote but it was along these lines.

It seems there are players who have already tuned out Todd's message and figure they know more than the coach. I don't care who these players are, they need to be dealt away ( McDavid is not a prime suspect). I'm sure PC and McLellan have had plenty of internal discussion on these players.

I for one expect big changes this summer and am not afraid to see them made. It's not like the team can do or be any worse, unless they expedite the expansion team for play next season and the Oilers finish 31st. I'm also not advocating making trades for the sake of making trades, but if the players brought in get this team competing for a top 3 spot in the divison, I'm all for making them.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
He has slowed down no doubt but it's his first full season in the NHL and honestly I think Hall going through a major slump has been a big reason why Draisaitl produced less in the last few months. He has still been dangerous and created opportunities in most games.

I mean, you can look at other centres around the league. Look at Kopitars 2nd season in the NHL or Toews 2nd season in the NHL. Which centre did they have to shelter them? As far as I can see, they didn't have anyone and still put up really impressive seasons as 20 year olds. Nicklas Bäckström is another example. Granted, I'm a big fan of Draisaitl but I really think he is close to where they were at the same age and is good enough (and most importantly, strong enough mentally) to have that same kind of impact. I'm not worried about him, especially not if you give him two good wingers to work with.

I am very comfortable with Draisatl as the two C. I think we need a real honest to goodness 3rd center-a shutdown guy to do the real heavy lifting for the oilers. RNH is not that guy. He cant compete with the big boys in the west and is neither a shutdown guy or an offensive 1/2 Center. 5 seasons in and the guy still gets skinned in the faceoff circle and gets pushed around all over the ice...and the weak offensive game speaks for itself. Drai has massively improved his faceoff game and every game this guy sets up guys for goals that should be in the back of the net. He has slowed but he has the brain and the brawn and the attitude to improve.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
So I am going to throw this out there knowing I will probably get a lot of push back.

I don't think we should blow the team up, if a deal works for a key player then great, do it of course. However, Chia should go into the off-season not with the goal of blowing anything up and changing the total make up of the team. Chia should make marginal changes that address weaknesses. Add a D man of course, via FA or Trade. I am not saying we don't need any changes, but that we dont' need radical changes.

My reasons are pretty simple. This team will finish with 5-9 more points than it had last year. THe goal differential will improve by about 40 goals (-85 last year to -45 now). Given McDavid missed half the year and we have just a terrible stretch of bad luck with injuries none of this seems all that depressing.

Rebuilds take time and don't go as planned, the worse thing you can do is not recognize improvement when you have it. As long as the team is pointing up, then you don't make radical changes. As much as people want blood and change for change sake there is no reason for it.

Blowing it up is just the reaction after the Calgary game. Now it is just time for change but not everyone. The team badly needs 2 top 4 RD and some more grit. The 2 players I would trade for help on defence would be RNH and Eberle this off season. I'd keep Yakupov around because of his cheap deal and he's proven to be a capable player when he gets top 6 minutes. Mcdavid, Draisaitl and Hall are my untouchable forwards. Klefbom and Nurse are my untouchable defenceman.

Next year I would keep Nurse and Reinhart in the minors and go with Sekera, Klefbom, Davidson on the left side. Broissoit also goes to the minors. My lineup would look like this;

Pouliot-Mcdavid-Maroon
Hall-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Pouliot-XXX-Kassian
Hendricks-Letestu-XXX

Klefbom-XXX
Sekera-XXX
Davidson-Fayne

Talbot
XXX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad