We should not blow it up and stay the course

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I'll say again, this team could do a very quick retool/rebuild. ESPECIALLY if we win Matthews. Imagine we trade away Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak, Pouliot and we somehow get rid of Fayne (maybe in one of those deals?)

Imagine we get back Hamonic and Vatanen, the rest is all picks and prospects.

McDavid
Matthews/Laine
Draisaitl
Maroon

Kelfbom
Hamonic
Sekera
Vatanen
Davidson
Nurse

Talbot

That right there is a heck of a group to build around. Our D is deep with several elements, and our prospect cupboard looks much better.

But then the best part. We could easily afford to add 2 of Lucic/Eriksson/Ladd/Okposo. Then you're not missing he offense we shipped away so much. Suddenly this is looking like the best/most balanced team we have had in a decade. And we would have guys coming in cheap in the coming years to challenge for spots if we ever had to make difficult cap choices.

We would still have to add alot of experience cause its much the same. A whole bunch of young guys with 0 playoff experience.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I actually agree with Stauffer today.

" Chia needs to use a scalpel not a bomb"

Another 5 years of development, lousy results and non competing. A bomb is exactly what he needs. We have a franchise player and we are going to happily surround him by players who don't give a fig about losing or are past the point of redemption.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Thanks for this post, this is the post that I want to aim at. First of all I get the sentiment, but here is the thing. How do you see a group that doesn't care? How do you know big changes will result in anything better? We trade Hall, Nuge, Ebs ect we will get 70 cents on the dollar for every trade. We get worse and not better.

As much as the standings suck, there has been big improvement this year. 40 goal differential improvement is very substantial, i don't care what any one says.

they are 30th place. I will guarantee, I will bet my life on it, that any changes will not result in anything worse.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The whole problem with this forum and all past management groups is that instead of a proper long term plan and deciding who fits and who doesn't nothing gets done because, gee whizz Player A has been great for the 1st quarter of a season thus untouchable, Player B is with mcdavid, he has now gotten it!

A few months later the play falls off and now we can't trade them becasue well we won't get value. Paralysis via Analysis.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Time is ticking

Eberle is 3 years away from UFA, Hall 4 and Nuge 5

at some point that will be an huge issue

Take a look the Tampa--they are just getting good and their main guy has one foot out the door at 26--we will be in the same boat shortly

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
82de1350f342b6997ed78558229e0ea8.jpg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think we need to nuke it, but we need to acquire a top pairing d-man and someone that can hold our skilled players accountable. If that costs former pieces know as untouchables then so be it.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Thats just it though, the rebuild won't take forever. If you get another 40 goal differential improvement next year and 7 more points in the standings the rebuild will be over. We will be competing for the playoffs. You have to recognize improvement when you see it. Why blow up a team that is trending up? That would be a big mistake.

Competing for playoffs isn't acceptable. We've been through to much, jersey tossing, billboards, etc... We need to be contenders and win at least one cup and get to at least a few conference finals. Even then I'll wonder if the "rebuild" was actually worth it.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I don't think we need to nuke it, but we need to acquire a top pairing d-man and someone that can hold our skilled players accountable. If that costs former pieces know as untouchables then so be it.

We need to nuke it because as usual we have to many passengers. This is a team of floaters who don't show up. Need more guys who come to work every game, all game.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
We need to nuke it because as usual we have to many passengers. This is a team of floaters who don't show up. Need more guys who come to work every game, all game.

Like I said. We could nuke this team and actually be significantly better next year

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
How exactly is this measurable though? A deal that looks poor on paper doesn't always result in a team becoming worse. If a trade that seems low in value comes along yet brings back balance, heart, determination, character, leadership, toughness, etc (characteristics our core seems to fail at)....I'd be all for it.

Using your analogy, I'd rather have a bunch of quarters that gell together, fight for one another, and get results, compared to a few dollars that can't get it done.

We have arguably some of the deepest trading chips in the league. Especially considering our 2016 1st. If we lose a few trades (probably because this core is perceived as losers), it's not the end of the world.

Change is needed, the definition of insanity states so.

This is all that needs to be said.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
I'll say again, this team could do a very quick retool/rebuild. ESPECIALLY if we win Matthews. Imagine we trade away Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yak, Pouliot and we somehow get rid of Fayne (maybe in one of those deals?)

Imagine we get back Hamonic and Vatanen, the rest is all picks and prospects.

McDavid
Matthews/Laine
Draisaitl
Maroon

Kelfbom
Hamonic
Sekera
Vatanen
Davidson
Nurse

Talbot

That right there is a heck of a group to build around. Our D is deep with several elements, and our prospect cupboard looks much better.

But then the best part. We could easily afford to add 2 of Lucic/Eriksson/Ladd/Okposo. Then you're not missing he offense we shipped away so much. Suddenly this is looking like the best/most balanced team we have had in a decade. And we would have guys coming in cheap in the coming years to challenge for spots if we ever had to make difficult cap choices.

Honestly that doesn't look much better to me. If you trade all of Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yak and Pouliot you need to get back more than two nhl ready players (especially considering neither is a #1 defenceman). We only have 3 good offensive players left on that roster.

You could probably get those two and keep Matthews by only trading Hall, Eberle and Yak.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
I'm checked out for next season regardless of what they do this summer. Until they ice a team that has made the playoffs, I'm not wasting more of my $ or time watching games. I don't care if they have a whole new roster or the exact same one as this year, after they make the playoffs, they get me back as a paying fan.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I dont want to start a new thread on the subject already but I would be curious to see a poll and fan opinions. Blow It Up vs Stay On Course with just Yak and 1 of the old core moved out.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
How exactly is this measurable though? A deal that looks poor on paper doesn't always result in a team becoming worse. If a trade that seems low in value comes along yet brings back balance, heart, determination, character, leadership, toughness, etc (characteristics our core seems to fail at)....I'd be all for it.

Using your analogy, I'd rather have a bunch of quarters that gell together, fight for one another, and get results, compared to a few dollars that can't get it done.

We have arguably some of the deepest trading chips in the league. Especially considering our 2016 1st. If we lose a few trades (probably because this core is perceived as losers), it's not the end of the world.

Change is needed, the definition of insanity states so.

:yo:

Agree with everything but that last line sums it all up perfectly.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
The whole problem with this forum and all past management groups is that instead of a proper long term plan and deciding who fits and who doesn't nothing gets done because, gee whizz Player A has been great for the 1st quarter of a season thus untouchable, Player B is with mcdavid, he has now gotten it!

A few months later the play falls off and now we can't trade them becasue well we won't get value. Paralysis via Analysis.

I said iin 488's quoted post that was all that needed to be said but this is also excellent. Both of you guys got it.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They have stayed the course the last 7 years and ended up with the worst franchise in sports history over that time span. It's obviously not working.

I don't know if they need to go nuclear necessarily but in order to get the needed help on the blueline, they are going to have to part with an old core member or two unless Chia can pull some Snowesque magic and land two top pairing Dmen for 2nd rounders and scraps.

The other thing is that the Hall, RNH, Eberle core has gone stale (I don't include Yak as a core member). I think it would be best for both parties to part ways and start fresh. Plus there's too many of the same kind up front, too many pure skilled players and too many pure skilled players who need to carry the puck to be successful.
They need more role players up front, guys who can do the dirty work and let their skilled linemates do the puck carrying. There's too many "core" type players with big salaries up front. It needs to be balanced out between role players and lead guys.

Status quo is NOT an option, it just isn't for so many reasons.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
The Oilers 100% need to blow it up.

Blow it up in terms of making significant changes to its young core. Every year, it gets repeated that changes are coming and every year its almost always the same result. By now it should be clear, that the philosophy of this organization regarding losing is that it is acceptable. The young players are allowed to fail and as a result suffer no consequence. Look no further than Taylor Hall who is a very decorated junior player and how he looks now. RNH, Hall and Eberle are locked up long term and aren't playing for contracts. Yakupov is playing for a contract and you see the effort but his skillset isn't translating well to the NHL. It has allowed them to embrace this losing is acceptable philosophy.

If major changes don't happen this offseason, McDavid will be engulfed in this philosophy as well. Even if you do not believe it is possible, do you really want to risk it? This management group has been given a year to access what major changes it needs to make and it has to do it this offseason or else its going to be a rinse and repeat of losing is acceptable. At this point, bleeding little to some value in a trade is more than acceptable if it results in changes the culture and philosophy of a team. If the Oilers continues to hold on to it's cards well they have gone insane and it might be time to actually give up as we all know the saying "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
There isn't just one way to fix/build this team. Both blowing it up and fine tuning it will work imo but one creates long term success and one creates the penguins

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I don't think you will have to worry about McDavid adapting the loser mentality as he will just ask to be moved after his ELC if nothing changes.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Well they have been winning together more so than last year. That is improvement. In the face of brutal injuries, not bad.

I just see no reason the core is truly flawed, they just aren't as good as people hoped. But that doesn't mean you trade them, it just means we have to be patient. Things are trending up, stay the course.

A slight improvement is obviously a good thing, but it's the same old song and dance with them. They have gotten so used to losing that they cannot break the old habits no matter what. The only cure is to break them up and bring in some fresh faces to get rid of it. The current group can't win together and that's the reality.

Chiarelli will hopefully blow it up this draft/off season, but hey, maybe he only does marginal changes and if that is the case and the team progresses a lot next season then by all means. :nod::nod:

But I think the general consensus both from majority of fans and the media is that there is no other option left. It needs a mini blow up. The Avs face as a similar problem although they are not as bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad